Is It Canola Or Vegetable?

Decorating By Princess3 Updated 1 Oct 2006 , 7:19pm by LittleLinda

Princess3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Princess3 Posted 30 Aug 2006 , 6:45pm
post #1 of 12

Oil that is best used for baking cakes and goodies? I have both and didn't know what the difference is?

11 replies
Cookie_Brookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cookie_Brookie Posted 30 Aug 2006 , 6:51pm
post #2 of 12

I use Canola (I'm allergic to the soybeans in Vegatable), I'm not sure there is a difference.

LittleLinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleLinda Posted 31 Aug 2006 , 3:59am
post #3 of 12

I'd like to know the difference too.

NATYCORAL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NATYCORAL Posted 31 Aug 2006 , 4:14am
post #4 of 12

canola oil is the best for u. it digest faster than vegetable oil or corn oil. i will give u everything tomorrow.

LittleLinda Posted 5 Sep 2006 , 11:13am
post #5 of 12

NATYCORAL: It's past "tomorrow"! Perhaps you lost the thread. I'm interested in what you are going to tell us.

Sophie-Em Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sophie-Em Posted 5 Sep 2006 , 11:34am
post #6 of 12

I use to use vegetable but ran out of it one day. The girls on this site told me to use canola instead which of course I did have and the cake was fine. No change in flavor. So now I only use canola.

patton78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patton78 Posted 5 Sep 2006 , 11:36am
post #7 of 12

Vegetable oil is the unhealthiest type of oil. It has the worst fats in it where Canola oil has the heathier fats, poly and mono saturated fats. I am not sure but I think vege oil has more trans fat, the WORST, where Canola oil only has 1 trans fat.

jmt1714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmt1714 Posted 5 Sep 2006 , 12:54pm
post #8 of 12

? where does that information come from?

patton78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patton78 Posted 5 Sep 2006 , 1:33pm
post #9 of 12

The nutritional lable on the bottles of oil.

Ksue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ksue Posted 5 Sep 2006 , 2:14pm
post #10 of 12

I hope it's okay to post links here ... but here's just one link to a page that talks a bit more about Canola oil. (You can find several more articles on it simply by googling "canola oil problems".)

http://breathing.com/articles/canola-oil.htm

Personally, I won't touch the stuff. It's yet another marketing/profit ploy by giant agri-business to take advantage of Americans' fear of saturated fats. Vegetable oil is not much better, mainly because of the way it's processed and the ratio of Omega 3's to Omega 6's.

Believe it or not, I use cold-pressed extra-virgin olive oil (or butter) in my cakes. Sounds weird, I know, but you truly cannot taste anything remotely olive-y in the cake. The olive oil simply seems to give it a richer, rounder taste.

If people insist on a pure-white-cake or icing from me -- I tell them very nicely that they'll need to go elsewhere. I don't do white-white anything, and I don't do Crisco roses icon_wink.gif

And by the way -- Crisco is 100% soy, PLUS it's hydrogenated. So I use it only to grease my pans, and I begrudgingly add a bit to my otherwise all-butter buttercream icings during June, July and August when heat and humidity are at their peak. I can't bear to see one of my creations melt before my very eyes.

Yes, I'm a bit of an old (really old) back-to-nature, vegetarian hippie-chick type icon_wink.gif

sweetamber Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetamber Posted 5 Sep 2006 , 6:05pm
post #11 of 12

That article is so full of mis-information I don't even know where to start thumbsdown.gif

Amber

LittleLinda Posted 1 Oct 2006 , 7:19pm
post #12 of 12

It does have a lot of misinformation. I always try to check Snopes.com for the truth about information. If you're interested in reading it, here it is, scroll down past the e-mail that has been going around to read about it.
http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/canola.asp

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%