Candy Melts

Decorating By Grandmasue Updated 23 Jun 2005 , 9:40pm by aunt-judy

Grandmasue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Grandmasue Posted 22 Jun 2005 , 9:52pm
post #1 of 4

Hi everyone,

Grandmasue has 2 questions if I may. I am trying to do a chocolate transfer for my grandson's graduation cake. The cap & morterboard have to be red. When I add the red color (&I have to add a lot) the candy melts get thick and pasty. I am using wilton candy melt coloring. It's too
late to order from Americolor.

My next question is: can I make a diploma (scroll) out of parchment, tie it with ribbon and place it on a crusted buttercream frosting. Will the color in the ribbon run. Sorry this is so long.

Grandmasue

3 replies
Joshsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joshsmom Posted 22 Jun 2005 , 11:49pm
post #2 of 4

Hi Grandmasue,

I love doing chocolate transfers.

Wilton does make red candy melts so I tend to begin with those and then add red candy coloring if I need it darker. Red is always so hard to make if your starting with white candy melts.

If you try to melt the candy a little more maybe that will not make it so pasty, I don't know if that's happening because you are having to use alot of coloring or not.

Don't know if I was any help but just wanted to suggest the red candy melts to start with.

debsuewoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debsuewoo Posted 23 Jun 2005 , 12:18am
post #3 of 4

Or, if you don't have the palm kernal oil crystals, you can add a bit of Crisco to the pot and stir it in really good to thin the chocolate. Odds are that moisture is somehow getting into your chocolate and causing it to thicken.

Debbi

aunt-judy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aunt-judy Posted 23 Jun 2005 , 9:40pm
post #4 of 4

for melting: try the microwave at 50% power for up to 2 minutes, that way you avoid getting any condensation (from steam) in your candy that may cause seizing (that thick pastiness you described).

the colour from the ribbon might bleed as the fats in the buttercream come into contact with it. you can either perch the scroll on some sugar cubes, or mini-marshmallows, or cut a strip of plastic wrap and use it as a liner underneath the scroll. alternatively you could simply wait to place the scroll on the cake until it's time to present the cake, take photos, and eat the cake, and you'd be in the clear.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%