How Do I Fix Torn Fondant?

Decorating By Trevie Updated 10 Jul 2007 , 4:55pm by xpressioncakes

Trevie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Trevie Posted 9 Jul 2007 , 4:09pm
post #1 of 8

I'm sure it's on here somewhere and I apologize in advance, but how do you repair fondant that has torn or ripped once it's on the cake? Or can you?

7 replies
rosita6882 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rosita6882 Posted 9 Jul 2007 , 4:16pm
post #2 of 8

It depends on how torn it is. If its just a little tear and you can still meet the edges you can just dab it with some water and your finger and kind of put it back together. It wont look perfect though. If you take it off it might not be reusable if it has crumbs or too much icing in it. Good luck.

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 9 Jul 2007 , 4:24pm
post #3 of 8

You can also use RI colored the same color to camoflage any rips.

i_heart_pastry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
i_heart_pastry Posted 9 Jul 2007 , 4:30pm
post #4 of 8

I second weirkd - color some royal icing to match your fondant and use that to "patch" it. I've seen some really great decorators do this & end up with a perfect match. I personally am not that good yet, but a combo of a royal icing patch and some strategically placed decorations has worked wonders for me! icon_wink.gif

Bec

tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 9 Jul 2007 , 4:30pm
post #5 of 8

From my experience it is best to take the fondant off & start all over. Once it rips it likes to keep on going. I just take it off, get any icing off of it, roll it again, try covering the cake again. If it's ripping it might be too thick or you are maybe putting to much on. So trim it as soon as you get it on your cake, if it hangs it will cause it to rip. Hope that helps~

bellejoey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bellejoey Posted 9 Jul 2007 , 4:36pm
post #6 of 8

For big rips, just start over...for small, I have patched w/royal and it works great! icon_smile.gif ....or for small rips, a nice flower or decoration to cover it up is always nice too! LOL!

Trevie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Trevie Posted 9 Jul 2007 , 10:02pm
post #7 of 8

thanks everyone for all of the great advice. I'll have to try the royal icing one.

xpressioncakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xpressioncakes Posted 10 Jul 2007 , 4:55pm
post #8 of 8

The question is WHERE did it rip? If it's on the edge of a cake (where most of the tears I've had happen), the concern is that the weight of the fondant will keep pulling.

If it's on one of the sides or top, sometimes it's as easy as rubbing it with your finger and a tiny touch of shortening. The heat from your hand will help smooth things out.

Strategic placement of decorations is a lifesaver, though! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%