How Much Do You Charge For An Edible Image???

Decorating By peacockplace Updated 23 Jun 2005 , 3:07pm by mohara

peacockplace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peacockplace Posted 22 Jun 2005 , 6:17pm
post #1 of 13

Do you charge extra to put a pic on a cake for someone. i know grocery stores here charge around $10 to do this. What do you all do???

12 replies
ntertayneme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ntertayneme Posted 22 Jun 2005 , 6:23pm
post #2 of 13

I haven't had one yet (I just got set up to do the edible images) The 2 that I have done were free icon_biggrin.gif One was for my FIL's birthday; the other for my grandson ... The sheets themselves are a bit over $1 each in cost.. that does not include the edible ink.. there is no way I'd charge under $5 for it .. I have to consider the fact of shipping/handling cost for the frosting sheets and the edible ink that I had to pay for ... so yeah, about $5 a sheet is what I'd charge ... let's see what some others say on this too icon_smile.gif

cakegal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegal Posted 22 Jun 2005 , 6:47pm
post #3 of 13

I don't have a printer to do edible images...but from what the others say about it... I would say between $5 to $10, depending on how involved the image was...if it took a lot of different colors using alot of ink...then it would be more money....
I think someone made mention that walmart made her one for $5... that sounds reasonable....I don't think my walmart would sell them...they wouldn't even sell me a box when I was there last... I told them that they should have a better Wilton supply for sell then....lol....
Oh well, I just had to travel further to get a box...
Happy baking,
cakegal

sgirvan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sgirvan Posted 23 Jun 2005 , 5:34am
post #4 of 13

Safeway here is Canada will sell them to me for $7 each. I don't tell them I am making a cake to sell. I just say that I am decorating one for a family b-day and they don't have a problem with it plus I don't do very many of them.

Connie515 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Connie515 Posted 23 Jun 2005 , 5:43am
post #5 of 13

Do you have the printer and everything? If so I would charge an extra 10.00 and If not I would add on whatever the cost is to get one made at a local cake store or bakery. I personally don't have a printer set up to do images so I usually charge the cost to get one made. However I have to take time and gas to get there so I should charge a couple of $$ more than the cost.

Connie =)

mohara Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mohara Posted 23 Jun 2005 , 1:47pm
post #6 of 13

I sell just the images and charge 10.00 for basic ones and 12.00 for collage themes. The bakeries around here in Upstate NY charge $10.00. Some of the grocery stores charge you exactly what they'd charge for the cake to do it...so that is sometimes $14.00. I think when I figured it out, the frosting sheet costs about 1.16 a piece (depending where you bought them), and then I guestimate for the ink, and I figure each sheet is about $1.80ish. Again, that doesn't account for the ziploc bag I put them in or my time to make it and then take it to the post office for shipping. (I have an online business). If it is a friend of mine, I just charge for supplies....about $2.50.

I am annoyed with myself though. I bought the business card sheets and now that I have them, I think they are a waste of money. I wish I could do something with them...I'll need to get creative with them and put them on frosted brownies or something that you'd cut in that sort of shape.

I sell the most of the 2 inch round circles for cookies and cupcakes and the 1/4 sheets. One idea people love is if they are doing a full sheet cake, they will do the 1/4 sheet image in the middle and then stick the 2 inch circles randomly around the top of the cake. I normally do all different photos of the person, so it looks really nice. I say I charge more to do the different photos on the circles, but I never do.

Hope this info helps!

thecakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakemaker Posted 23 Jun 2005 , 1:56pm
post #7 of 13

I don't have a system YET but i've been paying $10 per sheet. It cost me $30 in images to do the Father's Day Humidor cake. I lay everything out and print it off and then take that to the store and have them scan and print it on an edible icing sheet. Most local stores here won't sell just the image. They want to make the cake for you too.

Debbie

flayvurdfun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flayvurdfun Posted 23 Jun 2005 , 2:07pm
post #8 of 13

Lisa does them alot......she's the one to ask!

Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 23 Jun 2005 , 2:22pm
post #9 of 13

I charge $6 a sheet if I'm putting one on a cake. If I'm selling just the image, I charge $8 a sheet. It costs me a little less than $3 to make one.

I've done a few of them for free though just to save myself time. If someone orders a cake and wants it decorated a certain way that might be time consuming, I'll use an edible image instead. It'll cost me $3 in supplies but may save me an hour of time.

flayvurdfun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flayvurdfun Posted 23 Jun 2005 , 2:27pm
post #10 of 13

See! I knew Lisa would have some clue!

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 23 Jun 2005 , 2:58pm
post #11 of 13

Hubby just surprised me with a Canon IP3000 the other day when he came home from Future shop!! Now I need to get he supplies....I don't think I will print the images for others or sell them online as you never know if they are going to get the person in one piece and I dont feel like refunding all the time...Can't wait to get it set up!!!

thecakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakemaker Posted 23 Jun 2005 , 3:05pm
post #12 of 13

Congratulations! I have the $$$ for mine now I just need to find the time to check out the deals.

Debbie

mohara Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mohara Posted 23 Jun 2005 , 3:07pm
post #13 of 13

Enjoy it! When I bought mine it was strictly for personal use and then as time went on I just thought about it more and realized I love doing it, so why not do it for others. I know I like to bake my own cakes and not have to use the bakeries cake just to get the image, so I thought others might feel the same way. I had spoken to Dolores at Sugarcraft about the "shipping concerns" and she told me she never had a problem. I put them in a ziploc bag and then put them between two sheets of cardboard. Then if they are being shipped US Priority mail, I use the "priority box" (not envelope) and I will also add newspaper or other fill. There is no way it will bend, I can tell ya that. I asked Dolores about the heat and she said she never had anyone say they had a problem do to shipping. Its all in the packaging. Who knows, you may change your mind down the road too! I love getting the feedback from people telling me how much they loved it or their child loved it. I put a lot of time into them and I've never had anyone disappointed.

Good luck and enjoy!!!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%