How Do You Pronounce "fondant"??

Decorating By Kate714 Updated 5 Sep 2006 , 7:18pm by SweetResults

Kate714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kate714 Posted 30 Aug 2006 , 12:03am
post #1 of 31

I don't know if this is an ongoing debate, but it's been bugging me. I say FON-dent. I have also heard it fon-DAWNT (is it French? what do I know!)

Which one is right? icon_confused.gif

30 replies
lakecountrymommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lakecountrymommy Posted 30 Aug 2006 , 12:39am
post #2 of 31

FON-dent.

Around here, fon-DAANT sounds fruity

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 30 Aug 2006 , 12:41am
post #3 of 31

can you tell I've had an exhausting day>>>>>

it is said which ever way gets the customer to pay MORE!

Kate714 Posted 30 Aug 2006 , 12:43am
post #4 of 31

ha ha, to both of you! lakecountry, where are you from?

I was thinking I might be wrong, when I heard my friend from CA say fon-DAWNT.

snarkybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snarkybaker Posted 30 Aug 2006 , 12:50am
post #5 of 31

Yes it's derived from the french word fondre which means to melt, thus it is fawn-dahn

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 30 Aug 2006 , 12:51am
post #6 of 31

LOL!! I swear, I was going to post this very same thread after hearing everyone say Fondawwnt I want to scream! Fondent.... but then I think I sound uneducated icon_redface.gif

Here's the thing... I live in Salida... which is the spanish word for exit (go figure) anyway, the spanish pronunciation is Saleeda... but everyone corrects me when I say it - they all pronounce it Sul-eye-da..... mind you, this is all english-only speaking people who correct me!

I took years of spanish in school and that is the correct pronunciation but because this formerlly Latino occupied community has turned into a cummuter Yuppie-ville from he!!, they correct me & It really drives me up the wall.... I think I'm going to protest icon_lol.gif

So that's me... frustrated fondent lover from Saleeda icon_razz.gif

LickDaBowl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LickDaBowl Posted 30 Aug 2006 , 12:56am
post #7 of 31

CakeDiva...are you in Salida (which I say Sul-eye-duh--and I'm Puerto Rican!!), California?

Misdawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Misdawn Posted 30 Aug 2006 , 1:01am
post #8 of 31

Too funny Doug!

daltonam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daltonam Posted 30 Aug 2006 , 1:02am
post #9 of 31

i say

fon-dent--fon-dunt

hear is a link that was posted some time back about this same question--i saved it--haha

http://www.yourdictionary.com/ahd/f/f0230800.html

but not the way they do on TV

Kate714 Posted 30 Aug 2006 , 1:06am
post #10 of 31

daltonam, that is how I say it too...not really FON-dent, but FON-dunt.

and that link says it all!!!

LittleLinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleLinda Posted 30 Aug 2006 , 1:08am
post #11 of 31

Tara, that dictionary thing was awsome. I pronounce it like that guy did! Now, do you say your name Tah Rah or Tair rah?

karmicflower Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karmicflower Posted 30 Aug 2006 , 1:12am
post #12 of 31

the pronunciation as i know it is: fon-dant

here is the definition, pronunciation, and a sound clip of the pronunciation at the merrian webster website: http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/fondant

and this is from: French Culinary Terms: An Audio Guide to Pronunciation
http://library.sullivan.edu/CPI/Audio/fondant.wav

and they pronounce it fon-dant or fon-dawnt

but the guy in the clip in the on yourdictionary.com pronounced it fon-dent... weird, i guess it depends where you live,

icon_biggrin.gif karmicflower

CakeDiva73 Posted 30 Aug 2006 , 1:19am
post #13 of 31

Then why do all these people on the Food Network challenges say Fondawwnt? Like they're French or something..... I don't care how it's supposed to be pronounced, my daughters would bust a gut if I started saying it that way. As it is, every time they hear it pronounced the 'fancy' way, they crack up icon_lol.gif

daltonam Posted 30 Aug 2006 , 1:35am
post #14 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleLinda

Tara, that dictionary thing was awsome. I pronounce it like that guy did! Now, do you say your name Tah Rah or Tair rah?

i guess i really can't explain how my name is pronounced--but for the most part it rhymes with sara or sarah----my mom & grandmother pronounce it differently (not so much that anyone else would hear the difference) my grandmother says Tah Rah & everyone else is ter-ra---BUT NOT TAR-RA---grandma just does use the "E"

so everyone good & confused now???? thumbs_up.gif

so back to FONDAWNT--HAHA i guess i really don't hear to much of difference between the link i listed & the m-w link--but i got sick of listening to it repeatly & said to heck with it icon_lol.gif

newlywedws Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newlywedws Posted 30 Aug 2006 , 6:17am
post #15 of 31

People will pronounce it differently -and it's funny that this is a topic as I asked my cake instructor this very same question tonight. My ancestors hail from France thus I say it "Fon-daunt"

daltonam Posted 30 Aug 2006 , 12:23pm
post #16 of 31

i meant to say my grandmaother doesn't use the E sound for my name

knoxcop1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
knoxcop1 Posted 30 Aug 2006 , 4:49pm
post #17 of 31

I can't BELIEVE Y'all ain't figured it out yet!

It's "that icin' putty y'all use for cakes!" icon_lol.gif

That's what one lady here called it anyway! icon_rolleyes.gif It's a Southern thing I reckon. icon_wink.gif

Fon-dent is the way the girls here say it, or "an extra 2.50 per serving!"

LOL,
--Knox--

frider Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frider Posted 30 Aug 2006 , 5:03pm
post #18 of 31

As a speaker of French, it really hurts my ears to hear Americans pronounce the word "fondant" with the "t" and worse the "ent" and all. About as bad as having to hear Petit Jean pronounced in Arkansas. Sigh. I just avoid the word and call it sugarpaste or roll-out icing.

karmicflower Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karmicflower Posted 30 Aug 2006 , 5:59pm
post #19 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by frider

As a speaker of French, it really hurts my ears to hear Americans pronounce the word "fondant" with the "t" and worse the "ent" and all. About as bad as having to hear Petit Jean pronounced in Arkansas. Sigh. I just avoid the word and call it sugarpaste or roll-out icing.

it's funny you should say that, the second link i posted, the one to the "french culinary terms" on the audio wave, its said fon -dawn and he mentions that the "t" is silent

LittleLinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleLinda Posted 5 Sep 2006 , 11:27am
post #20 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by frider

I tend to pronounce new words I read in French first. You know that medicine Alevert? I read it "Alle verrr" I was thrown for a loop when I heard it on the commercial.

Furthermore, I can't understand where all you people from whichever states you come from pronounce Aunt as ANT! To me it is clearly spelled in a way which should be pronounced "Ahhnt". Like somebody said, it's all where you're from!

arosstx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arosstx Posted 5 Sep 2006 , 1:27pm
post #21 of 31

I noticed Duff on Ace of Cakes says 'fon-dent' and Collette Peters says 'fon-dawn'....

A matter of taste, just like some like and use MMF, others don't!

kaste28 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaste28 Posted 5 Sep 2006 , 2:38pm
post #22 of 31

"You say toe-may-toe, I say toe-mah-toe" icon_smile.gif

oceanspitfire Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oceanspitfire Posted 5 Sep 2006 , 3:44pm
post #23 of 31

and some people dont even like working with it let alone talking about it LOL

LOL @ 'that icky paste thing'

LOL Fider and Cakediva- that irritates me too when I see foreign words that are pronounced 'wrong' (ok different damnit lol) (like the Sal-eye-da) thing-
Tomayto tomahto I guess is right but it's still makes me cry to hear a beautiful language be murdered icon_lol.gif

LittleLinda, I do that all the time too!

And thanks for posting the question in the first place- because I was curious also how everyone says it. As a speaker of french I have called it fonDON(g) (silent T and somewhat silent N)- but that's just me. And I know everyone has different ways of saying things (including AWNT vs ANT) (I lived in the US for 3 years- and spent 3 years saying Roof vs REWF) lol
So but anyway for lots of things I know there are just different regional pronunciations (linguists major in uni-bit obsessed about languages -anal has been used also by friends LOL) and each to their own.

I wont correct yours if you dont correct mine is sort of my philo now. (Unless something is just outright wrong and then I dont mind correcting or being corrected lol)

mdutcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mdutcher Posted 5 Sep 2006 , 3:58pm
post #24 of 31

Everyone around here pronounces it fondent, I would sound like a weirdo if I tried to pronounce it fondawn like it was intended....Kindof like the other word for "entry" in your home. I pronounce foyer as "foyay" my husband sais foyer. bugs the crap out of me!

Anyway! Swear to god my SIL calls fondant "fondue"! I'm not kidding. She said it three times in the same conversation! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

CakeDiva73 Posted 5 Sep 2006 , 4:32pm
post #25 of 31

OMG - the lady in front of me at Michaels yesterday pronounced it fondue too... the checker and I just sort of looked at each other but I would never correct her...

I just had to hold in my laughter because she had a southern accent to boot so it was like hearing Paula Dean say it:

F-aaaaaaaawn-Dooooooooooooooooooo

LOL! My 6 year old daughter loves to watch Paula, mainly just to hear her talk! Me too, though... I love it icon_smile.gif

mdutcher Posted 5 Sep 2006 , 6:02pm
post #26 of 31

I totally love Paula, too! She's awesome. Ever notice how she just takes big ol' huge bites? Who else does that on there shows, really!?
Yeah, we didn't correct my SIL either! It's just too funny. icon_lol.gif

oceanspitfire Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oceanspitfire Posted 5 Sep 2006 , 6:11pm
post #27 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdutcher

Anyway! Swear to god my SIL calls fondant "fondue"! I'm not kidding. She said it three times in the same conversation! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

LOL- my sister does stuff like that- instead of intertube she says innertube and I just have to cringe and let it go because I keep correcting her and I swear she does it to piss me off even though I've corrected her a bunch of times LOL

Ok so there's a neighbourhood /community in Vancouver called New Westminster. I'm sure you've seen the name in other locations- westminster abbey etc etc.
Ok does anyone else see an extra I in there? because I dont, and it's never had an extra I in there and it's a british name after a place in England- but I'll be DAMNED if I know why so many people say MINISTER- like the guy in church-OMGGGGGGGG does that irritate the shit out of me LOL - this is not one of those words like aunt awnt with alternative pronunciation. There is only one way to pronounce MINSTER. OMG LOL

kdhoffert Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kdhoffert Posted 5 Sep 2006 , 6:33pm
post #28 of 31

well, this reminds me of a conversation my husband and I had. we were talking about the way people say different things. The whole conversation started with hearing the neighbor say "wheelbarrel" instead of "wheelbarrow". It's all where you come from and where you live. icon_smile.gif

bakers2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakers2 Posted 5 Sep 2006 , 6:41pm
post #29 of 31

'Ex'presso vs espresso - need I say more?

mdutcher Posted 5 Sep 2006 , 6:45pm
post #30 of 31

LMAO, Bakers2!!!
'ass'essories vs accessories!!! The list goes on and on!!! icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%