2 Inch Versus 3 Inch Pans

Decorating By rocketgirl96 Updated 29 Aug 2006 , 1:26pm by Amish

rocketgirl96 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rocketgirl96 Posted 29 Aug 2006 , 3:02am
post #1 of 8

Which are better? I have absolutely no cake pans (borrowed from my Mom for the Wilton class) and I figure I should get some. But I don't know if I should invest in the 2 in or 3 in pans.

Thanks,
Christine

7 replies
2yummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2yummy Posted 29 Aug 2006 , 3:10am
post #2 of 8

I think it is mostly preference. I bought the three in pans, I am really happy with them. I just tort my cakes twice. With the two inch I figured I would need to buy two of each, or I would have to bake the cakes seperetly for a two layer cake. So I got the three inch.

rocketgirl96 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rocketgirl96 Posted 29 Aug 2006 , 3:18am
post #3 of 8

So, with the 3 inch pans you only have to bake one layer? How does that work? It still ends up shorter than 2 - 2 inch layers right?

I'm very new at all this.
Thanks!

cupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcake Posted 29 Aug 2006 , 6:01am
post #4 of 8

I prefer the 2 inch pans, they don't take as long to bake, and when you fill them they are talller then splitting a 3 inch. Some people use a heating core on the 3 inch so they will bake better. I think its just a matter of preference. The main thing is that you have a good pan to bake in.

martinez73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
martinez73 Posted 29 Aug 2006 , 6:07am
post #5 of 8

I lilke the 2 inch ones myself. I bought a 3 inch one and didn't buy the heating core so it didn't bake very well. One of the girls I was in clas with did and she still did not like it. I guess it is what you like and what works for you.

2yummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2yummy Posted 29 Aug 2006 , 1:00pm
post #6 of 8

I just put an upside down flower nail in the middle of my 8x3 and 10x3 pans. Haven't had any problems. Yes, they are shorter than two 2" stacked. So it is really what you prefer and what works for you. Everyone is different.

Here is a link about the upside down flower nail.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-38982.html

Dustbunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dustbunny Posted 29 Aug 2006 , 1:15pm
post #7 of 8

Was wondering this myself, I have all 2" but have wondered if I should get any 3" Thanks for posting icon_smile.gif

Amish Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amish Posted 29 Aug 2006 , 1:26pm
post #8 of 8

I just started using the 3" pans. I havent had any proplem, I also use an upside down flower nail. I do still bake 2 of each beacause I like tall cakes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%