I Was Asked To Make A Cake For An Auction!!

Decorating By Bettycrockermommy Updated 3 Sep 2006 , 3:53am by LittleLinda

Bettycrockermommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bettycrockermommy Posted 28 Aug 2006 , 4:35am
post #1 of 10

I just had to share!! Yesterday, my brother-in-law called me and asked me make a cake for an auction to raise money for the pee-wee football team that my nephew is in. He told me that generallly people pay up to
$300-400 for a basic sheet cake that is donated from a grocery store!!!

He wanted something with the Dallas Cowboys logo on it. The team is named the Tucson Cowboys, but their colors and logo are the same as Dallas. I have been brainstorming all day, and I still can't decide on a design! I am thinking of doing something like a 3-D helmet on a 12x18 sheet cake. I have also been thinking of making stars, silver and blue, but that's about as far as I got.

He needs the cake for this coming Friday Sept. 1, so I don't have a lot of time to sit and plan it out before I start baking. i have to have it completed to take to work on Friday am!!

Does anyone have any good ideas of something I sould do that would not require my brother-in-law to set up the cake after he picks it up?? I am running dry at the moment!!

9 replies
crp7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crp7 Posted 28 Aug 2006 , 4:48am
post #2 of 10

My brain is pretty fried this time of night but I can give you a bump.

Also, the helmet is a good idea. I think you should also incorporate something Arizona-ish with it. Probably a stereotype, but cactus or something like that maybe?

Cindy

cowdex Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cowdex Posted 28 Aug 2006 , 8:05am
post #3 of 10

Look in the gallery - I know there is a sute one in there - I remember posting a comment!

sweetbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetbaker Posted 28 Aug 2006 , 1:14pm
post #4 of 10

I think your idea is great! If you dowel the helmet, I think it will be fine! Just an idea if you're concerned about brother-in-law traveling with the cake...you could just use 1 or 2 round layers and carve into the helmet shape. So it would be flat but yet I guess more of 2d. This wouldn't require your brother-in-law to have to set up the cake but rather just place it on the table. Hope this helps. Good luck!

Cookie_Brookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cookie_Brookie Posted 28 Aug 2006 , 1:52pm
post #5 of 10

I have done a couple of simple cakes for a benefit auction before and it seems that as long as it is for a good cause people will pay a lot of money no matter what it looks like (most people go with a pocket full of cash to spend on things anyway). I'm sure no matter what you fix will bring in a lot of money so don't worry yourself so much. Good luck with everything icon_smile.gif

Bettycrockermommy Posted 28 Aug 2006 , 8:59pm
post #6 of 10

Thanks, everyone for all your help. I am going to do the helmet, but I am still trying to figure what to do with the stars. I was thinking of putting them on lollipop sticks, but I don't know if that would look right.

For the helmet, I think I will use the 3-d ball pan, and just cut the bottom flat so it will sit good on the sheet cake.

Any other thoughts??

sweetbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetbaker Posted 28 Aug 2006 , 10:51pm
post #7 of 10

What about putting the stars around the perimeter (sides) of the cake? What about some footballs also? Maybe the short sides have footballs and the longer sides have the different colored stars?

Bettycrockermommy Posted 29 Aug 2006 , 3:19am
post #8 of 10

I like that idea, sweetbaker. I think that would look great!

Bettycrockermommy Posted 2 Sep 2006 , 8:41pm
post #9 of 10

To update all of you. . . .

I got a call from my brother-in-law last night and he told me that my cake sold at the auction for $225!!! I just couldn't believe it!! I was so excited!!! I am hoping that this will also send so business my way. I just had to share with you. This is what the cake looked like, before the goal posts and football players were added to it.
LL

LittleLinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleLinda Posted 3 Sep 2006 , 3:53am
post #10 of 10

Congratulations!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%