I'm Married To Macgyver! Yay!

Decorating By momsandraven Updated 31 Aug 2006 , 2:02pm by momsandraven

momsandraven Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momsandraven Posted 28 Aug 2006 , 2:29am
post #1 of 31

I just have to brag on my DH a little, he REALLY saved my tapedshut.gif tonight!! So, I'm preheating my oven, mixing up my batter for a half sheet cake due on Tuesday. Get the batter in the pan, open the oven and icon_confused.gif "HEY!!" The oven was cold. icon_cry.gif So, Hubby the engineer steps in and looks at the oven 'stuff' inside. He lets me know that the igniter has gone bad and needs to be replaced. DOH! icon_eek.gif So, I put my kids to bed, wondering how I'm going to get this cake done in time. By the time I get back downstairs, DH has decided that he can swap out the igniter for the broiler, he just needed a fiberglass sleeve (that he actually had in the basement!) and something else. In less than 10 minutes, I was back in business. GOD, I LOVE THAT MAN!! king.gif

This isn't his first MacGyver rescue. He once charged my camera battery using my cell phone charger and A PAPER CLIP while we were on vacation.

I just had to share... icon_rolleyes.gif

30 replies
bodaisy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bodaisy Posted 28 Aug 2006 , 2:36am
post #2 of 31

If he's as good looking as Macguyver is, can you clone him???

Yes- it's nice to have a handy man around!!! Good for you! Does this mean he gets some cupcakes made for him???

MavericksMommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MavericksMommy Posted 28 Aug 2006 , 2:38am
post #3 of 31

That is so great! I'm so glad your husband could fix that for you when you really needed it! That's a great husband to have!

My dad used to fix things but he was never that good! I'm the "handy" one in my family (learned it from both my parents) it's not my husband's thing. He would look at the oven stuff and be more perplexed than me (who would then grab a book and try to find out about it and call my dad to see if he knew what I could do icon_lol.gif )

smbegg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smbegg Posted 28 Aug 2006 , 2:40am
post #4 of 31

must be nice! I love my hubby, but he's not so handy icon_rolleyes.gif

Stephanie

THESUGARCOW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
THESUGARCOW Posted 28 Aug 2006 , 2:42am
post #5 of 31

jajajjjajajaj
well im lucky too my man knows everything
never have to worry about paying over prices in nothing plumbing ,electrecian.....
but sometimes it is hard to make him do something right away..
like my grand mother used to say
in the house of a iron man,,,he uses a wooden knife?? icon_confused.gif
all depends what mood he is in ..... icon_cry.gif

momsandraven Posted 28 Aug 2006 , 2:50am
post #6 of 31
Quote:
Quote:

Does this mean he gets some cupcakes made for him???

LOL, Yes! Actually, I made some yummy mocha marshmallow brownies for his company picnic yesterday and he never got one before they disappeared. I think I'll make another batch, just for him. Good idea bodaisy!

Bettycrockermommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bettycrockermommy Posted 28 Aug 2006 , 4:03am
post #7 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by momsandraven

This isn't his first MacGyver rescue. He once charged my camera battery using my cell phone charger and A PAPER CLIP while we were on vacation.

I just had to share... icon_rolleyes.gif

That is too funny!! My hubby is inventive, but even he couldn't come up with something like that!!! icon_lol.gif

nickshalfpint Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nickshalfpint Posted 28 Aug 2006 , 4:23am
post #8 of 31

My husband is VERY handy to have around too. He can fix everything. He's in the Navy, so he's gone alot. Of course everything breaks when he's gone. I always tell him he's a man of many talents and a master of none(gotta keep him humble =).)! But he really is a master of them all. Isn't it nice to have a handy man around all the time!

sthrasher1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sthrasher1 Posted 28 Aug 2006 , 8:33am
post #9 of 31

Wow what a great husband you have. I bet the cake came out even better since he had a helping hand in it.

jennifer293 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennifer293 Posted 28 Aug 2006 , 11:19am
post #10 of 31

Great SAVE!!!! I have one of those men here too...One day my brand new dishwasher broke and I am LOST without my dishwasher, so I am all prepared to call someone to come fix it and he says let me look at it first...So he gets in there and takes it all apart and at this point I am in tears. Then he does the >>AHHHH HHHHAAAA!!!! He found the problem and the best part is that it cost $.67 to replace it. icon_surprised.gif There was a spring broken inside. A technician probably would have charged us over 150 bucks just to come in our front door and not telling what that part would have cost...I LOVE MY HANDYMAN!!!!

mgdqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgdqueen Posted 28 Aug 2006 , 11:28am
post #11 of 31

Thanks for sharing your story momsandraven! We all love to hear little things like that-it either reminds us of our own DHs or gives us hope! icon_lol.gif

pilesoflaundry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pilesoflaundry Posted 28 Aug 2006 , 2:55pm
post #12 of 31

That's cool! I'm married to a wanna be fix it man LOL! He thinks he can fix anything but usually makes it worse.

mkerton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkerton Posted 28 Aug 2006 , 3:00pm
post #13 of 31

green with envy........my hubby tries though!

tbittner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tbittner Posted 28 Aug 2006 , 3:07pm
post #14 of 31

This topic is so funny, my hubby came from a family where you call a repairman when something breaks. I came from a family where you NEVER call a repairman, if it breaks you figure it out with a book or tinker with it. My dad wanted to build an addition on the house but could not afford it so he bought a book on it all and built a huge addition. My dad passed away last year but my hubby was fortunate enough to have been taught basic plumbing and electrical by him first. Now if a car needs fixed I call my little brother( I have two brothers who my dad taught everything to as well) who helps my hubby learn more. 10 years of marriage and my hubby is now an " I can fix it" man! He also realizes how important it is to teach his skills to our three sons so they can be more educated as they grow up and become Mr. fix-it's!
Got to love the men in our lives, even those that can only watch over us now!
Tracy

mocakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mocakes Posted 28 Aug 2006 , 3:12pm
post #15 of 31

So funny...that's the nickname WE call my DH!!! He even has it written on the back of one of his shirts! He has build cake stands in the garage for me, rigged up and concocted other things...he is amazing! He can fix just about everything...we joke and say all he needs is wire, a piece of gum and a paper clip and the sky is the limit! He is not a contractor by career, but he has built all kinds of things, remodeled our houses, layed tile and hardwood floors...you name it, he's done it HOWEVER, he is not allowed within 10 feet of my cakes because he is not graceful at all and has caused a few "last minute fix-ups" regarding my cakes!! icon_rolleyes.gif

Oh well, no one ever said they were perfect! icon_biggrin.gif

tabs8774 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tabs8774 Posted 28 Aug 2006 , 3:20pm
post #16 of 31

my dh tries to fix things but usually ends up "rigging" them to work for a limited time. the car and all major appliances are a nono. he looked under our washer and i was tring to tell him what i saw (looking in the diy book) was wrong ( transmission coupling!!). he took one look and said"im not touching anything in that!" haha he's an excellent printer though and thats what pays the bills!! gotta love em!! haha

godsgrace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
godsgrace Posted 28 Aug 2006 , 3:23pm
post #17 of 31

My dh is the exact same way! Everyone in the family calls him when something needs fixed or invented. I just LOVE my man too!!!!

momsandraven Posted 28 Aug 2006 , 3:51pm
post #18 of 31

How fun to read about all of the other MacGyvers out there! (And the not-so-handy-mans too!) They are definitely blessings in our lives. thumbs_up.gif

MavericksMommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MavericksMommy Posted 28 Aug 2006 , 4:58pm
post #19 of 31

OHHHH! Can some of your DH Handy-man come and teach mine??? I'm the one that has to figure it out and then show him!!

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 28 Aug 2006 , 5:04pm
post #20 of 31

Yeah...I am a Luchy Ducky too!! My hubby is a Journeyman ticked Carpenter and he was required to know how to do everything in school so he knows how to do plumbing,electrical,woodworking,flooring,and just about everything else.I also grew up with a Daddy as a mechanic so we never paid for any repairs but he always had the dishwasher apart!!

knoxcop1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
knoxcop1 Posted 28 Aug 2006 , 5:12pm
post #21 of 31

Umm...yeah.

My Old Man couldn't fix his tie unless it was a clip on! icon_lol.gificon_cry.gif

It sure would be nice to have one that could tinker around, though.

Guess I'll just have to "love him through it!" icon_rolleyes.gifthumbs_up.gif

lol,
--Knox--

debsuewoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debsuewoo Posted 28 Aug 2006 , 5:22pm
post #22 of 31

I'm sorry to say that I am married to a nerd. I don't know what happened. His father is a complete hands on kind of guy and taught all 7 of his boys how to do things. I think it just might be easier for him to wait for me to get to it (which I usually do because I don't like to wait long).

So, okay, he might not be handy, but I will say this: He has only said "no" to me once (long story short, I wanted to see Tom Jones while we were in Vegas and he said we couldn't afford it ~I just got a $5000.00 profit share check and we couldn't afford it? ~but when we got home we could afford a down payment for a new car for him!), but he has not said "no" to me since. It's lucky for him I am not a diamond and jewels type of gal! (I guess the fact that when I am hinting at stuff that I would like to get, like a new dishwasher, and Tom Jones happens to be coming out of the stero helps !!!)

kjgjam22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjgjam22 Posted 28 Aug 2006 , 9:03pm
post #23 of 31

thats cool. its a good thing he could have fixed the oven. its a pain trying to travel with batter to get to a working oven. been there done that bought the t shirt.

auntjan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntjan Posted 28 Aug 2006 , 9:29pm
post #24 of 31

Not married myself, but my Mom thinks she has a MacGyver, but usually gets Tim the tool man

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 29 Aug 2006 , 1:42am
post #25 of 31

can your husband give lessons? mine could really use them. He's a hard worker, but just not handy.

Misdawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Misdawn Posted 29 Aug 2006 , 1:53am
post #26 of 31

My old man couldn't find a wrench with two hands and a map!

Digit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Digit Posted 29 Aug 2006 , 2:02am
post #27 of 31

Gotta ask. What does DH stand for? I figured out the H is for husband. What's the D for? Hopefully I'm not the only one wondering!

Oh, and I'm lucky to have a "McGuyver" too. Gotta love 'em.

Misdawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Misdawn Posted 29 Aug 2006 , 2:08am
post #28 of 31

D stands for Darling or Dear

knoxcop1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
knoxcop1 Posted 29 Aug 2006 , 11:35am
post #29 of 31

It can all depend on how they're acting as to what the "D" stands for!

Lol icon_lol.gif

Not really. Dear husband.

--Knox--

sthrasher1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sthrasher1 Posted 29 Aug 2006 , 4:13pm
post #30 of 31

Thats funny knox!!! =)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%