Cake Sketches...

Decorating By littlemissmuffin Updated 28 Aug 2006 , 7:13am by Latin_Cake

littlemissmuffin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlemissmuffin Posted 27 Aug 2006 , 5:03pm
post #1 of 19

do you always sketch out your cakes first? What programs do you use? Vector, Google Sketch Up or something else? Do you find sketching it out first really helps you save time and error?

18 replies
karmicflower Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karmicflower Posted 27 Aug 2006 , 5:15pm
post #2 of 19

I always sketch out my cake by hand, just with some of my daughters colored pencils and some paper. If your making a large cake, it helps to get your thoughts on paper first, so that you have a reference point and don't get all flustered. Helps keep the mind in order icon_razz.gif

icon_biggrin.gif karmicflower

NEWTODECORATING Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NEWTODECORATING Posted 27 Aug 2006 , 5:26pm
post #3 of 19

The wonderful minds at work at CC have a gallery of templates. It makes it much easier for me to print them out and sketch something out! Thanks CC!

Pootchi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pootchi Posted 27 Aug 2006 , 5:42pm
post #4 of 19

Since Doug put up the templates in the gallery I print the size of cake I'll do, and draw on it with coloring pencils. I usually print many of the same template, so if I don't like it, I don't have to print another one!

it's really useful!!!
thanks Doug!!!!!!!!!
icon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gif

cakesbyamym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyamym Posted 27 Aug 2006 , 5:53pm
post #5 of 19

My brides especially love having their cake sketched out for them. Especially helpful when they're combining elements from several cakes to make their own unique cake. I'm a visual person, so it helps me, too. Once I get a call from a bride that she has decided to book with me, I include a sketch of HER wedding cake with the contract. I want them to see what they've chosen. Again, just a visual thing. Thanks to everyone, especially Doug, for posting the templates in the gallery!!! Just something else that I can do for my clients that shows how "personal" each and every design is to me.

Amy

Pootchi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pootchi Posted 27 Aug 2006 , 6:01pm
post #6 of 19

cakesbyamym thanks for the idea!! I never thought about adding this with the contract. I've never done a wediing cake yet, but I'm gathering all the info I got from here, for contracts and all, so when I actually get an order I'll be prepared!!! Wow that's a great idea!!!

thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

emmascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emmascakes Posted 27 Aug 2006 , 7:00pm
post #7 of 19

I sketch out ideas whilst in consultation with the bride and even brush on lustre dust etc. so she can see what colours it's going to be. I always include some little bit of wording saying that some small elements of the design may be changed and that I will contact the bride beforehand to let her know. For example I once sketched a cake with roses cascading down the side and we'd sketched in some curly bits of foliage, but when I came to doing it they just didn't look right - I'd hate to be 'tied' down by a sketch as often ideas present themselves to me whilst I'm working.

littlemissmuffin Posted 27 Aug 2006 , 10:19pm
post #8 of 19

Hey Emma? When you do the luster dust, do you also have a bit of fondant on the the "flat" image? Does anyone like do a 2d decoration of the sketch?

QueLinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
QueLinda Posted 28 Aug 2006 , 2:02am
post #9 of 19

You know after watching Throwdown w/Bobby Flay the other night, the challenger professional cake decorator lady said you should always sketch out your cakes.

Well I'm attempting a topsy turvy cake and thanks to "Doug" for loading the templates, I just printed it out and sketched away, well if you can call it sketching. Anyway it's a great idea, you can get a feel for what the cake is going to look like.

I just hope I can pull off the topsy turvy.

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 28 Aug 2006 , 2:17am
post #10 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by QueLinda

"Doug"

LOL

i may be creative w/ templates and designs...
but when it comes to screen names........boring!

that IS my real first name!

Dustbunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dustbunny Posted 28 Aug 2006 , 2:21am
post #11 of 19

I am constantly sketching cakes now. Thank you so much Doug for your templates!!!! I print what I want then use my dd's colored pencils to decorate icon_smile.gif

redsoxgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redsoxgirl Posted 28 Aug 2006 , 2:27am
post #12 of 19

i posted the exact question awhile back. i now sketch All my cakes. I bought a sketch pad and colored papers. I, actually, think it's fun and it's fun to compare the sketches to the finished product.

nicksmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicksmom Posted 28 Aug 2006 , 2:37am
post #13 of 19

I recently started to sketch my cakes with colored pencil and drawing paper,however,I REALLY can't draw the cakes good enough so then I just work on the design or color scheme I want and have to deal with that.I just can't draw a 3 dimensional cake to look real icon_mad.gif I would love to find these templates from Doug,but know know where to look icon_sad.gif

NEWTODECORATING Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NEWTODECORATING Posted 28 Aug 2006 , 2:39am
post #14 of 19

go to the galleries and page down to the bottom there is a folder for them

littlemissmuffin Posted 28 Aug 2006 , 4:02am
post #15 of 19

Well I have about 5-6 sketches now of cakes I would like to try once I get all my proper tools.

notjustcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
notjustcake Posted 28 Aug 2006 , 5:03am
post #16 of 19

This information has come so handy for me today you are all great and very helpful. I recently wanted to design my own original cake for my husband work and the theme was going to be "work" but I kept drawing little cakes and writing notes but first things first I gotta finish my cake for tomorrow's class then I gotta practice a Wiggles Car cake and then make it for my son's birthday then after that just practice a lot but I am glad I came across this info. Thanks to you Doug!

smashcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smashcakes Posted 28 Aug 2006 , 5:14am
post #17 of 19

definitely thanks for posting templates. i too now print them out and i actually sketch ideas i have and keep them in my "file" (aka on my nightstand) i don't do weddings, so i don't have to worry. i like the idea of using color for a consultation though

emmascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emmascakes Posted 28 Aug 2006 , 6:02am
post #18 of 19

I just use a dry paintbrush and paint the listre dust straight on to the paper - it seems to stay. You could mix it with a little vodka if you were having problems. It's hard to explain lustre dust without doing this I think.

Latin_Cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Latin_Cake Posted 28 Aug 2006 , 7:13am
post #19 of 19

Unfortunatly for all i have are a bunch of sketches but im trying to make my first cake and i hope to post pictures of it so wish me luck!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%