Please Help!

Decorating By gibson Updated 7 Jul 2007 , 1:54am by lalevin34

gibson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gibson Posted 6 Jul 2007 , 4:34pm
post #1 of 4

HI All!

I could really use any and all help right now. I have two wedding cakes for tomorrow as I'm sure a lot of you do. I cannot get the icing nice and crisp on a square cake. PLEASE PLEASE HELP!!! I'm in such desperate need, I'm thinking about giving the bride this cake for free because it looks so bad. I've tried the hot spatula and it doesn't work. I used a crusting buttercream, does something else work better for the hot spatula method. I know about the melvira method but I want really sharp corners and top.

PLEASE HELP!!

I'm desperate!

Tammy

3 replies
miriel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miriel Posted 6 Jul 2007 , 5:20pm
post #2 of 4

The upside down technique by Jeff makes really sharp corners and straight sides. It takes time to do but the results are what you are looking for. Here's the link for it: http://www.cakecentral.com/article6-Upside-Down-Icing-Technique-for-Perfectly-Smooth-Icing.html

MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 6 Jul 2007 , 5:58pm
post #3 of 4

I have had the best of luck by using a fondant smoother on the icing after it crusts over. Have you tried it that way?

lalevin34 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lalevin34 Posted 7 Jul 2007 , 1:54am
post #4 of 4

I have found that using a hot spatula and viva paper towels always give me the smoothest look and I always had good luck with the corners that way as well.
hope it helps!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%