Ice Cream Cake

Decorating By Angelgirl Updated 24 Jul 2007 , 7:52pm by Angelgirl

Angelgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Angelgirl Posted 6 Jul 2007 , 3:23am
post #1 of 18

I have a request for an ice cream cake in a couple of weeks. I didn't commit yet because I need help! I've never made an ice cream cake! I read some of the recipes on here, but it isn't quite what they are looking for. I do remember, years ago in a home ec class my teacher said she would bake her cake normally, then line the same size pan with wax paper, melt the ice cream a bit, spread it in the pan and refreeze. Then, she would pop it out and stack it between layers of cake. This is what the client requested.

Has anyone tried this? If so- how do you keep the ice cream from melting as you decorate? Decorate in stages? Should I also freeze my cake layers before stacking? And would the ice cream melt into the cake and make it soggy? What kind of frosting would you decorate with, just regular buttercream? I know, a lot of questions. But any help would be useful. I would love to make this cake and save my friend a trip to DQ!

Thanks,
Becky

17 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 6 Jul 2007 , 4:11am
post #2 of 18

If it is as hot where you are as it is in most of the country, I would recommend DQ.

You have to work very quickly, and it helps to have a sub zero freezer.

However, if you want to give it a try, a thin layer of icing will prevent the cake from soaking up the ice cream immediately

The plan of using two pans the same size, one for cake, one for the ice cream is good. I would freeze the cake to help keep the icecream cold.

Plan to do the simplest decorations, like combing and a border.

MillyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MillyCakes Posted 6 Jul 2007 , 4:27am
post #3 of 18

JoAnnB -- How rude of you to tell my secret to ice cream cakes!!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

I always get a DQ cake because:

1) It is my favorite ice cream!
2) They will leave the decorations off of them if you ask - leaves me plenty of room to decorate!
3) I always have a DQ coupon!!

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 6 Jul 2007 , 4:42am
post #4 of 18

I would probably use a springform pan for starters...

I'd probably just ice it in whipped cream actually, I don't think regular buttercream would taste as good, seems it would be too sweet.

Maybe you could put the softened ice cream by itself in a springform pan to get hard, and THEN layer it with the cake so that it won't soak into the cake? It would add an extra step or two but it might work better, who knows.

Let us know how yours works out!

krystalp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krystalp Posted 6 Jul 2007 , 4:47am
post #5 of 18

Hi Angel! Nice to see a fellow Coloradoan! icon_biggrin.gif I have made several ice cream cakes. In my pics, the sports ball cake, strawberry shortcake cake, barbie cake, castle cake and dino cake are all ice cream cakes. What you described is exactly what I did. Depending on how big I wanted it, I would bake 2 cakes, freeze them, line the same size pan with foil or wax paper and put in the softened ice cream and freeze til solid. Or just make one cake and cut it in half. Then assemble and freeze again until nice and firm. I iced them with stabilized whipped cream. I was very new to this when I first started and didn't know how to get them very smooth though. I did some of the decorating with buttercream and some with the whipped cream. Depends on what you're making. For the castle it was easier to use buttercream. You do have to work very quickly and in stages. But it is well worth it. My family loves ice cream cakes. It's the only kind I can make for them now. I think I spoiled them! icon_lol.gif

Elizabeth19 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elizabeth19 Posted 6 Jul 2007 , 4:53am
post #6 of 18

You can: use the same size pan for cake and ice cream; let the ice cream sit out long enough to become soft but still semi-frozen, fill the wax paper lined pan to desired height and re-freeze (also freeze your cake).
Put the ice cream layer down on the cake board first (glue it down with some icing), then your filling (Some good filling choices are crushed oreos mixed with choc syrup, chocolate chips mixed with fudge topping, or carmel topping mixed with crushed vanilla cookies, these mixtures are easier to work with when they are chilled first), then add your cake layer. Refreeze. You have to get the icing on quickly or refreeze as you work on it, once it starts melting the icing will slide off. icon_smile.gif

i_heart_pastry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
i_heart_pastry Posted 6 Jul 2007 , 5:02am
post #7 of 18

I've made ice cream cakes before. For my favorite one, I use a layer of Nutella between the cake and ice cream. Bake your cake in a springform pan. Cool completely & torte. Line the same, clean pan with parchment (cut a circle for the bottom, a long strip for the side. Place first cake layer into pan, top with layer of Nutella. Freeze for 30 minutes. Spread softened (not melted) ice cream over Nutella. Sprinkle crushed chocolate wafer cookies (or other cookie/nuts of choice) over ice cream. Freeze 30 minutes. Add another layer of ice cream (same or different flavor). Freeze 30 minutes. Add layer of Nutella and final cake. Wrap and freeze until firm (overnight works well). Remove frozen cake from pan and ice with sweetened whipped cream. Freeze 30 minutes. Decorate with sweetened whipped cream, thinned hot fudge or other ice cream topping and/or piping gel.

You can replace the Nutella with hot fudge, caramel or other ice cream topping. I like using the premium ice cream flavors (like Ben & Jerry's). You don't have to do the layer of crushed cookies, but I like how it tastes and the texture it gives. You can layer the combination of cake, ice cream & filling however you like.

Hope this helps!
Bec

wendy1273 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wendy1273 Posted 6 Jul 2007 , 5:30am
post #8 of 18

I made one Ice cream cake before and this is what I did, I baked two round cakes, put one on the bottom of the pan and melted the Ice cream enough to spread on top of the cake evenly and I did not freeze the cake before I put the ice cream on top, I put another layer of cake and then another layer of ice cream, everything came out very good except for the icing, I used meringue icing and it kept running down the sides as soon I took it out of the freezer for little bit. So, that was the wrong icing to use for Ice cream cake!
When it was time to take the ice cream out of the pan I just ran a knife around the pan and it came out with no problems.

Angelgirl Posted 6 Jul 2007 , 2:27pm
post #9 of 18

Thanks for all of your help. I was thinking- would a frozen buttercream transfer work as a decoration? Then I would only have to worry about the time needed for a border and maybe writing on it? I may give this a try this weekend and see if I can make it work!

singsing Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
singsing Posted 6 Jul 2007 , 3:35pm
post #10 of 18

My sister does the cakes for baskin robbins. She taught me the pan thing but to make it easier, if you are using a half gallon carton of ice cream, just cut slices off and lay on the cake, easy for a square, for a round use the pan to shape, then use softened ice cream to fill in any gaps, its faster and you don't have to have it out so long. They ice their cakes with softened ice cream. they do so many they just can do it fast, then get it in the freezer again the decorations are some sort of buttercream or whipped thinggy. I don't know for sure.

BIGMAMMA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BIGMAMMA Posted 24 Jul 2007 , 1:59am
post #11 of 18

Did you make the ice cream cake? Just wondering how it turned out. My son want's me to make one for his b-day, but wasn't sure what to do for the icing? I have heard you can do a whipped icing mixed with ice cream? Anyone else ever heard of this?
How did you do the decorations?

baka4lyfe20 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
baka4lyfe20 Posted 24 Jul 2007 , 2:42am
post #12 of 18

Ice in ganache, like at Coldstone! I think it's pretty easy to make, tastes great, looks great, and you just have to pour it over the cake and smooth along the sides! I don't know, it might melt though. Just my 2 cents!

baka4lyfe20 Posted 24 Jul 2007 , 2:44am
post #13 of 18

O, sorry I didn't realize this post was from a while ago! Whoops!

BIGMAMMA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BIGMAMMA Posted 24 Jul 2007 , 12:48pm
post #14 of 18

I just posted, I have been trying to get new ideas, just want this cake to be great.
Never been to coldstone...how do they do their's? Is it a cake then ice cream or just ice cream? How do you do your ganache? Never really tried this way. Sorry for so many questions, this will be my first ice cream cake

baka4lyfe20 Posted 24 Jul 2007 , 2:46pm
post #15 of 18

No, it's fine. Coldstone does theirs with layers of cake and ice cream. They're very expensieve, If I remember correctly.
Here's a link to their website so you can check out all the different varieties:
http://www.coldstonecreamery.com/cakes/signature_cakes.html

They're not all covered in ganache, but some of the best looking ones (to me) are.

I'll post instructions for ganache next.

Parable Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Parable Posted 24 Jul 2007 , 3:21pm
post #16 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by singsing

My sister does the cakes for baskin robbins....... They ice their cakes with softened ice cream.

I have wondered if this was possible. Especially for those people who don't like icing icon_confused.gificon_confused.gif . Yeah, there are even those who don't like cake. Weird, huh!

baka4lyfe20 Posted 24 Jul 2007 , 3:21pm
post #17 of 18

Ok, so you want to make ganache.

First, I'll post the instructions as I remember them and then give you the website I found it from. (I'll use the ingredients from the site, too.)

You need:

8 ounces (227 g) bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, cut into small pieces (see note at end)

3/4 cup (180 ml) Heavy whipping cream

2 tbsp (28 g) unsalted butter

1 tbsp cognac or brandy (optional)
So, this is how I remember doing the ganache (I'm also referencing the website to make sure)

1. Place chocolate in stainless steel bowl (I used my KA mixer bowl because it has handles, very convenient later on)

2. Heat cream and butter in a medium sized saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a boil.

3. Next, pour the boiling cream and butter over the chocolate and allow to stand for about 5 minutes. (Do NOT wait to pour the cream over the chocolate)

4. Stir with a wisk until smooth. If you are putting liqueur in, do this now.

So this makes enough ganache to cover a 9 in cake or torte.

Now, to cover the cake.

Make sure the cake is cold before covering (I'm assuming this is going to be frozen) so it does not dull.

Brush any loose crumbs away. Put cake on wire rack. Put cake and wire rack on baking sheet. (Just for easier cleanup.)

1. Using a cake spatula, cover the sides and top of cake with aboout 2 tbs ganache (idk, you might need to use more). Refrigerate cake for about 5 minutes to set this crumb coat (that's what it's called)

Strain if you have any bubbles or crumbs.

2. Now, pour remaining ganache into the center of the cake. Quickly spread with a spatula using big strokes to push ganache over the sides of the cake, to make an even coating. Cover any bare spots with left over ganache.

3. Freeze (or refrgerate) cake.

Enjoy,
Alex

Here's the website:
http://www.joyofbaking.com/ganache.html

Ok, I confess I basically copied their instructions, but they also talk about truffles and other things. So, check it out!

Angelgirl Posted 24 Jul 2007 , 7:52pm
post #18 of 18

I never made this cake. The person who asked changed their mind (which I have to admit, I was a little relieved about!). Also, it's been soooooooooo HOT that I knew it would make it nearly impossible without melting. I'm having problems with my fondant and buttercream in my non-airconditioned-Colorado apartment!

I have printed this off though, so I can keep everyone's suggestions!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%