Did I Charge Too Much? Feeling Guilty.

Decorating By 2sweetcookies Updated 6 Jul 2007 , 1:00pm by 2sweetcookies

2sweetcookies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2sweetcookies Posted 5 Jul 2007 , 1:35pm
post #1 of 24

Someone wanted cupcakes for her daughters princess party. I gave her a few ideas one being the mini stand up dolls, I told her upfront that they would be $1.50 extra for each doll. (I didn['t charge her for a larger supcake) She ordered 12 dolls and 6 regular frosted cupcakes.

I didn't know how to price cupcakes so I charged her what I would for a 12 serve cake. $23.00, $6.00 for 6 cupcakes and the dolls were $19.00. I rounded it to $45.00. It seems like so much, I keep reminding myself it was so high because of the cost of the dolls, I just felt like I was charging so much. Not to mention the fact that the mini dolls were SO hard to find after going to 3 stores and calling 5, I had to drive 45 minutes to a Michaels, they were the only store that had 3 packages, or any at all.

I feel guilty, did I charge too much???Cost without the dolls would be $29.00. 3- 3 1/2 hours to frost and decorate.

How does everyone figure the cupcake cost verses cake?
LL

23 replies
Zahrah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zahrah Posted 5 Jul 2007 , 2:20pm
post #2 of 24

No way!!! If I'm reading your post correctly, the price of the dolls was $3.50 each. The price of one cookie-bouquet-franchise cookie is about $5 around here. I think it was right on, if not a little low. I'm sure your geographical area makes a difference. Remember, you're not only charging for the supplies used and the time it took to bake & decorate, but your customers are also paying for your expertise, experience, culinary and artistic ability as well. Never work for less than what you're worth!

darandon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darandon Posted 5 Jul 2007 , 3:30pm
post #3 of 24

I think your price was about right, if not a little low. Those dolls are so cute!

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 5 Jul 2007 , 4:58pm
post #4 of 24

another vote for LOW

at least $48 ($4/each)

remember you have to consider the extra time and detail that goes into a doll.

a cupcake would not take near as much time.

and in terms of detail -- it looks like you tried to give each doll a unique dress style.

in agreement this should be priced more like a cupcake bouquet at $5 each

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 5 Jul 2007 , 5:07pm
post #5 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug

another vote for LOW

at least $48 ($4/each)

remember you have to consider the extra time and detail that goes into a doll.

a cupcake would not take near as much time.

and in terms of detail -- it looks like you tried to give each doll a unique dress style.

in agreement this should be priced more like a cupcake bouquet at $5 each

TOTALLY AGREE WITH DOUG!

Those were so cute and detail oriented! Great job on them BTW!!

EricaT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EricaT Posted 5 Jul 2007 , 5:08pm
post #6 of 24

if the dolls cost that much then you definately didnt charge too much

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 5 Jul 2007 , 5:12pm
post #7 of 24

Another vote for too low!

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 5 Jul 2007 , 5:13pm
post #8 of 24

You underpriced if you ask me. #1. The mini wondermolds are much bigger than a normal cupcake. #2. The doll picks aren't cheap. #3. They take way more time to decorate than a cupcake. I'd charge at LEAST double what you charged.. probably more. I'd charge 6-8$ a piece for the dolls and 2$ a piece for the cupcakes. That would be a minimum of 84$. Don't feel bad.. you gave her a great product at a great price. I'd charge more next time though.

OhMyGoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OhMyGoodies Posted 5 Jul 2007 , 5:15pm
post #9 of 24

I would've charged $5.00 - $7.00 per doll cake.... depending on how much detail went into them. I made a large doll and 4 mini dolls for my god daughter's daughter's birthday and it was a freebie me and the grandmother decided the child HAD to have a party 3 weeks after her birthday her parents hadn't given her one so we did.

Anyway I got a few ideas from the comments at that party... I should've filled them with some type of filling "like those tasty cake cupcake things" which would be great! and I'd also price higher based on the amount of detail and how hard it is to decorate them. It's not so much hard in detail it's harder on me because they are so darn small lol

Edited to adjust price after adding it up lol no one would pay $120.~ for 12 little dollies lol

msauer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msauer Posted 5 Jul 2007 , 5:15pm
post #10 of 24

I agree that you didn't charge enough- and as Doug pointed out they each have a different dress design.

Second guessing my pricing is definately my "beast of burden", but I am getting better at it and more comfortable with it. After you have been doing this for a while longer you will really tire of working for peanuts and will start agreeing with the statement, "If they were willing to pay it, then you didn't ask too much"

Nice job on them. I would have been lazy and made more dress designs the same. icon_wink.gif

-Michelle

mrsg1111 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsg1111 Posted 5 Jul 2007 , 5:18pm
post #11 of 24

I agree!! Not only would I charge more then your original price, I would PAY more without even thinking about it!!!

cakes47 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes47 Posted 5 Jul 2007 , 5:22pm
post #12 of 24

Another ''TOO LOW'' vote!!
Would charge in the $5 - $7 and up depending on detailing.
Your dolls came out really nice and you need to get what they're worth.

Cakesbylori Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakesbylori Posted 5 Jul 2007 , 5:33pm
post #13 of 24

Another vote for too low!!! I would have charged at least $5 each. It is a lot of work!! You did a great job by the way!!

mekaclayton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mekaclayton Posted 5 Jul 2007 , 5:37pm
post #14 of 24

Agree with everyone else...too low. I agree with the much higher prices. To me, it's custom made. Nice job! Don't be hard on yourself, you still made someone smile icon_smile.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 5 Jul 2007 , 6:26pm
post #15 of 24

way too low. I would have charged a higher price than any listed here. Individually cakes uniquely designed plus the cost of the plastic? You're not getting them from me for the same price as a cookie.

2sweetcookies Posted 6 Jul 2007 , 12:09am
post #16 of 24

WOW! Thank you everyone I guess I do feel alot better now. These mini dolls are tricky to decorate and hard to get a smooth coat of buttercream. I did make sure every doll had a different dress design, I like detail and I made rolled buttercream (first time) for the bodice.

msauer I totally agree with you, pricing is an issue for me to. I alway underestimate how long it will take to decorate a cake.

So far i've always gotten a little more than what I charge (except the dolls) so maybe I am alittle low.

Good idea to fill them to by the way.

Thanks

SueW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SueW Posted 6 Jul 2007 , 12:26am
post #17 of 24

Those dolls are beautiful! You could have charged much more, I would have paid icon_biggrin.gif

missyjo30 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missyjo30 Posted 6 Jul 2007 , 12:31am
post #18 of 24

I agree w/ everyone else, I probably would have wanted to charge $10 for each doll.

Stoomp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stoomp Posted 6 Jul 2007 , 1:11am
post #19 of 24

I think your cupcakes look gorgeous and I could just imagine how frantic you were running from store to store.
If you happen to need dolls in the future and you're in a pinch, head to the local toy store and get a package of Polly Pocket dolls. If you look in my pictures, I made a bed cake for my niece, as she was having a sleepover and asked me to do it. I used the Polly Pocket dolls to represent each of the girls at the party. My niece loved it.
(I do cakes as a hobby. I just started, but I love it!).

sarahnichole975 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahnichole975 Posted 6 Jul 2007 , 1:19am
post #20 of 24

Too low! Don't sell yourself short! These are great and what little girl would gush over them!

cambo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cambo Posted 6 Jul 2007 , 1:22am
post #21 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

way too low. I would have charged a higher price than any listed here. Individually cakes uniquely designed plus the cost of the plastic? You're not getting them from me for the same price as a cookie.

Ditto here!

MillyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MillyCakes Posted 6 Jul 2007 , 1:22am
post #22 of 24

Those dolls are so cute!!!!! And yes - I agree - you were looooooooowww!!! Those dolls in my opinion worth $6-$8 a piece and with the price of gas now - running all over to those stores would have upped the price!

tiptop57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiptop57 Posted 6 Jul 2007 , 1:38am
post #23 of 24

I'm going to do something I have never done before...I will comment on your question,

Quote:
Quote:

Did I charge too much? Feeling guilty.

without reading your thread.........

My answer: No you did not charge too much, unfortunately most everyone on this site that asks this type of question has been charging way too little for far too long.

Now I am going to go back and read your total post and validate my answer to you.

Edited to add: yup after reading your thread you still undercharged for those beautiful cakelets!

2sweetcookies Posted 6 Jul 2007 , 1:00pm
post #24 of 24

Ok I am realizing i've been selling myself short, alot. I never even took into consideration this woman wanted half vanilla and half chocolate cake so all the ingredients were doubled, i only made about $4.00 -$4.50 an hour on these dolls. Not exceptable!!!!!!!!!

I think my biggest problem is looking at it from the customers end and how much they may be willing to pay and not the reality of how much time we put into creating the final product, ingredients and all the extras I tend to everlook, electricity for baking, saran wrap lots of paper towels etc, etc..

If the customer can really appreciate this talent I guess they will be willing to pay. And they are the customers we want.

Thank you for helping me realize this.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%