How Long Does Fondant Keep

Decorating By Jackpot Updated 28 Aug 2006 , 5:00am by Jackpot

Jackpot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jackpot Posted 25 Aug 2006 , 5:51am
post #1 of 10

Hi! I just recently made a baby shower cake with fondant accents. I was wondering if anyone knew how long these types of decorations would last. Is fondant like royal icing, in that it will last pretty much forever or do you have to use these decorations right away or within a few days/weeks.

I would like to make some of these up ahead of time for when I may need them but as I said, I'm not sure how long they last. I understand that fondant shouldn't be stored in a fridge ... true??

Thanks for any help!

9 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 25 Aug 2006 , 6:47am
post #2 of 10

Fondant figures or decorations will last a very long time. They may not be nice to eat, but they won't 'rot'.

Protect them from heat and light. you could refrigerate them, but if there are bright colors, there is a small risk of condensation and bleeding colors.

Cinderella24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cinderella24 Posted 25 Aug 2006 , 1:27pm
post #3 of 10

I would just put them in a container so that they stay fresh.

mommymarilyn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommymarilyn Posted 25 Aug 2006 , 1:31pm
post #4 of 10

They need to be kept in a dry place, definitely not the fridge. I've read posts on here before that say it really can't go bad. The only problem I've encountered is some of the colors may fade if left out, or if stored in a clear container, so now I keep mine in a box in my supply closet. HTH!

Marilyn

dydemus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dydemus Posted 25 Aug 2006 , 1:40pm
post #5 of 10

I think as long as it's wrapped tightly (airtight) it will last pretty much as long as you want it to. Think of the boxes of fondant on the shelves at Michaels that sit there for months. Even the MMF should be okay if airtight - think of the shelf-life of powdered sugar and marshmallows. I still toss mine if I don't use it within a week or two.

Kelrak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kelrak Posted 25 Aug 2006 , 1:48pm
post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoAnnB

Fondant figures or decorations will last a very long time. They may not be nice to eat, but they won't 'rot'.

Protect them from heat and light. you could refrigerate them, but if there are bright colors, there is a small risk of condensation and bleeding colors.

Just curious, do people actually eat these hardened decorations? I made a little practice rose then dried it for a week. It was edible, but not exactly tasty. Then again, I'm not a hard candy fan.

BakeQueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakeQueen Posted 25 Aug 2006 , 1:50pm
post #7 of 10

I do a lot of cakes with fondant accents and usually have quite a few left over. I use air tight containers that I put the remaining fondant accents in and place them in my cupboard. They last forever. Then if I have a last minute cake I have a stash to pull from.

Beckalita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Beckalita Posted 25 Aug 2006 , 2:28pm
post #8 of 10

I've stored extra fondant decorations like bow loops before.....just put them in a non-airtight container (like a shoe box) and store at room temp away from heat or light. I would not refrigerate them.

dydemus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dydemus Posted 25 Aug 2006 , 5:11pm
post #9 of 10

Kelrak- Amazingly, yes. Not everybody, but usually kids will eat just about anything you say is edible on a cake. I wouldn't eat the figures and things, but sugar is sugar - I guess to each his/her own, right?

Jackpot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jackpot Posted 28 Aug 2006 , 5:00am
post #10 of 10

Thank you all so much for the great tips!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%