What Is Your Favourite Chocolate Cake Filling.

Decorating By BakingGirl Updated 5 Jul 2007 , 6:17pm by paolacaracas

BakingGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingGirl Posted 4 Jul 2007 , 4:37pm
post #1 of 25

I am doing a chocolate cake for a child's birthday party for this weekend. I just thought I would check in with you guys to see if you had any good tips on what to fill the cake layers with. The outside will be iced in IMBC so I rather not have plain buttercream inside too.

24 replies
MichelleG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleG Posted 4 Jul 2007 , 5:27pm
post #2 of 25

I love a red raspberry filling, but for a childs cake it could be tricky putting a fruit filling in it. Kids can be so picky

Mmichellew Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mmichellew Posted 4 Jul 2007 , 5:35pm
post #3 of 25

Whip up some chocolate ganache! Er-- I mean, make ganache, then whip it and use that as a filling! Or whip cream and blend in ganache, thats yummy too!

RkRamirez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RkRamirez Posted 4 Jul 2007 , 5:36pm
post #4 of 25

I like to use caramel filing, but my MIL sends it to me from Mexico. I don't think that will help you. Try strawberry filing or a custard type filing.

Tiffysma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tiffysma Posted 4 Jul 2007 , 5:42pm
post #5 of 25

My grandchildren reall like the cookies and cream filling.

Wjk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wjk Posted 4 Jul 2007 , 5:43pm
post #6 of 25

I just did a chocolate cake filled with cookies and cream for a bday party. It was really yummy and very kid friendly. I covered the outside with buttercream and then fondant.

MillyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MillyCakes Posted 4 Jul 2007 , 5:49pm
post #7 of 25

I agree - I haven't met a kid yet that doesn't love cookies and cream filling! Also - you could be cool and use some of those colored cream filled cookies for the holiday!!!!

cakes21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes21 Posted 4 Jul 2007 , 5:51pm
post #8 of 25

I get a box of french vanilla pudding, a little milk and a tub of whip cream. It makes a yummy filling, that's what i use to fill my cream puffs.

lilie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilie Posted 4 Jul 2007 , 5:55pm
post #9 of 25

I just use chocolate buttercream. I do like the idea of the cookies and cream. How is that done?

alliebear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alliebear Posted 4 Jul 2007 , 5:59pm
post #10 of 25

believe it or not some kids just aren't that crazy about choc... wierd i know but the cookies and cream sounds delioius and what kids is going to say not to cake AND cookies... i would stick to simple anything diffrent and weird most kids tend to spit out... my friend made cupcakes for the kids she babysit.. they had some flavor to them can't remeber what but they ate the icing ( vanilla) and threw away the cake part..

MillyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MillyCakes Posted 4 Jul 2007 , 5:59pm
post #11 of 25

For my cookies and cream filling - I just take some oreos and break them up in a plastic bag. I usually use a full package of cookies (minus the two or three I eat icon_redface.gif ) for a double batch of buttercream. I just pour them in at the end of the mixing and there you go. The bigger cookie bits get soft when the icing sits. This is fine with me - I don't want to eat a cookie in the middle of my cake!!! I love this stuff!!!

keepontryin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keepontryin Posted 4 Jul 2007 , 6:09pm
post #12 of 25

The fudge filling posted by fragglerock here on CC is really good. Thin it a little and it is perfect for spreading. A big hit with my family.

Cookies and Cream is a really good idea too.

darcat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darcat Posted 4 Jul 2007 , 6:12pm
post #13 of 25

My dh loves when I make choc cupcakes and dig a hole in the top and fill with choc pudding it would be good as a cake filling too.

Wjk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wjk Posted 4 Jul 2007 , 6:14pm
post #14 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilie

I just use chocolate buttercream. I do like the idea of the cookies and cream. How is that done?

Here is how I make it. So good..tastes like cookies and cream ice cream.

2 ½ cups heavy cream
¼ cup icing sugar
½ tsp vanilla
20 Oreos

Whip first 3 ingredients in mixer on high speed until stiff. Gently fold in cookie pieces

Tartacadabra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tartacadabra Posted 4 Jul 2007 , 6:28pm
post #15 of 25

My favorite kids-filling is (well the grown-ups here really like it too icon_wink.gif ) is buttercream (I normally make the SMBC) with Nutella in it, the chocolate/hazelnut paste. Most of the times they want the second layer filled with strawberry jam, but I think that is really Dutch always a layer of jam in the cake icon_wink.gif

Good luck with your cake!!

Lara

paolacaracas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paolacaracas Posted 4 Jul 2007 , 6:37pm
post #16 of 25

Heat a can of condenced milk and when its bubbling pour over dark chocolate drop, let sit for 2 min, then stit untill melted, ad a litthe butter for shine. very very good and easy.

Tiffysma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tiffysma Posted 4 Jul 2007 , 6:43pm
post #17 of 25

I make a cream cheese frosting and put coarsely chopped oreos for my cookies and cream filling.

JenniferL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferL Posted 4 Jul 2007 , 6:55pm
post #18 of 25

Whipped cream and cream cheese with a little powered sugar and lots of crushed oreos! I'm making one this weekend! Mmmmmm....

BakingGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingGirl Posted 4 Jul 2007 , 6:59pm
post #19 of 25

Why is there no dribbling slobbering Smileys (Emoticons)? Because that is me after having read all your replies. Thank you all, I feel all inspired now. Just got to run some of the ideas quickly by the birthday girl's mum and then I will take it from there.

BTW paolacracas, what is the consistency of your recipe with the condensed milk once it has cooled? Sounds delicious! And how much chocolate to milk?

kymscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kymscakes Posted 4 Jul 2007 , 7:04pm
post #20 of 25

I must post my new favorite, making it tonight myself.
It is adapted from the rich cream filling in the recipes:
1 quart heavy cream
1 sm. box instant choc. pudding
whip until stiff peaks form
then I fold in mini semi sweet chips and shards of dark choc. amount up to you, utterly delicious!!!

darcat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darcat Posted 4 Jul 2007 , 10:38pm
post #21 of 25

Paola you have me drooling icon_lol.gif lol that sounds absolutely delicious. I think I'm going to try that next time cause for today I just made choc cupcakes for dh and put the twinkie filling with caramel sauce inside. Wanted to do american flag colors on it before he came home but ran out of icing sugar icon_cry.gif so will wait till tomorrow to frost them if there's any left icon_cool.gif lol

lilie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilie Posted 5 Jul 2007 , 2:53am
post #22 of 25

Thank you!!!!

RRGibson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RRGibson Posted 5 Jul 2007 , 1:52pm
post #23 of 25

I do my devil's food cake with a chocolate pb mousse alot. Everyone seems to really like it. For kids it would taste like a reese's pb cup.

oceanspitfire Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oceanspitfire Posted 5 Jul 2007 , 4:53pm
post #24 of 25

I think chocolate is such a great thing (and agreed on the lack of drooling smiley lol), because it goes with so many things. I have 2 books by Lisa Yockelson, one is Baking by Flavor, the other is all about chocolate (not just dessert lol). Gosh I think the filling ideas would be endless, pretty much any kind of fruit, Nutella (of course, as someone mentioned, sorry forgot who- nutella just jumps out at me, cause I absolutely love the stuff LOL). My latest fave recipe which i dont just use for chocolate cake, (even though that works for a real heavy duty chocolate cake lol), is Lisa Yockelson's chocolate cream frostng. which if i'm allowed to post here is:
4 1/3 c unsifted icing sugar
large pinch of salt
4 ounces unsweetened, melted and semi-cooled chocolate
1 1/2 ounces bittersweet, melted and semi-cooled chocolate
6 tbsp (1/2 stick ) softend butter, cut into tbsp sized chunks
3/4 c plus 3 tbsp heavy cream
2 1/4 tsp pure vanilla extract

put sugar/salt in bowl. Add everything else. With handmixer beat on low for 1 minute to combine, and then for 2 minutes on high or until very smooth and creamy. Should be thick but creamy.

I've used that for banana spice cake and strawberry cake and vanilla and mudcake so far. as filling as well as frosting

some other flavours, coffee, caramel/butterscotch, buttercrunch, and then as someome mentioend, anything too 'weird' wont get eaten but that's for kids parties lol, more refined taste might like some kind of liqueur fillling or ginger, or coconut etc

ok i feel like baking something now lol

paolacaracas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paolacaracas Posted 5 Jul 2007 , 6:17pm
post #25 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by BakingGirl

BTW paolacracas, what is the consistency of your recipe with the condensed milk once it has cooled? Sounds delicious! And how much chocolate to milk?

It will be sticky when cold, you add as much chocolate as you whant to make it more or less dark, enjoy! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%