My First Stacked Wedding Cake Help!!!

Decorating By cakedazzle Updated 24 Aug 2006 , 6:58pm by fourangelsmommie

cakedazzle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedazzle Posted 24 Aug 2006 , 6:37pm
post #1 of 3

Hi ladies,
In about a couple of weeks I'm going to make my first stacked wedding cake with fondant. I'm slightly apprehensive!. It's going to be a 3 tier cake. 12", 9" and a 6". I have made fondant cakes before I just have not stacked cakes ever in my life. My main question is do I put in the dowels before I cover the cakes with fondant or after?. I have decided to use the big plastic dowels. I also plan to stack the cakes at the reception hall. I do not intend to put one long dowel through the entire cake because I think it's not neccesary.Any tips will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

2 replies
dodibug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dodibug Posted 24 Aug 2006 , 6:46pm
post #2 of 3

Hi! check out the article on here about stacked construction. I would put the dowels in after covering with fondant. Unless the cake has an odd design you shouldn't need the center dowel. And good plan tostack on site! Good luck.

fourangelsmommie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fourangelsmommie Posted 24 Aug 2006 , 6:58pm
post #3 of 3

Girlfriend I'm right here with ya panicking now.

My first stacked wedding cake is due at 5:30 tomorrow night. I have wilton cake class in 3 hours, and I'm still trying to decorate and cut my plastic pillars as I'm typing.

I don't think I will EVER do another wedding cake again. I'm almost ashamed that this cake is mine. I've never had such trouble. Filling was oozing out the sides, even though I had dammed it with stiff bc, couldn't get my sides smooth, kept reading the article on here about stacking and pillars. Whew! I'm tired. Looks like it is gonna be a long night.

My only piece of advice is to read, read, read, and then read somemore on here about wedding cakes.

I think my problem was that I tried to start getting them ready too early, then I started having problems with them, then I re-baked and was rushed. Hopefully you will be much more successful than me!

I wish you all the best. Gotta get back to decorating@!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%