What Would Go Well With...

Decorating By anorris3 Updated 5 Jul 2007 , 6:15am by melysa

anorris3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anorris3 Posted 4 Jul 2007 , 1:48am
post #1 of 9

I need a suggestion for a frosting that would complement a coconut cake with strawberry and blueberry filling. I have only done buttercream dream and slight variations of it. I am looking to try something new and would appreciate any ideas.

8 replies
icingpraises Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icingpraises Posted 4 Jul 2007 , 3:56am
post #2 of 9

I'd suggest marshmallow creme bc (from this site), or mix vanilla pudding and cool whip together. Both make nice fluffy, not too sweet icing that will complement the fruit filling wonderfully. HTH icon_smile.gif

Robin

Zahrah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zahrah Posted 4 Jul 2007 , 3:59am
post #3 of 9

Hhmmm. That's a tough one. One would think that the cake and filling, being pretty eclectic flavor mixes on their own, would need an icing flavor that would not overpower them. One that will mimic / compliment all of those. If you were not going to go with an icing that had a hint of one of those flavors, then I would personally suggest a less sweet buttercream or a vanilla.

OR

What goes better with those berries than whipped cream?

southrnhearts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southrnhearts Posted 4 Jul 2007 , 4:06am
post #4 of 9

Im thinking you need a whipped merinque frosting... I make one with a cup of marshmallow cream added, its wonderful on fruit cakes and with fruit fillings

Elizabeth19 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elizabeth19 Posted 4 Jul 2007 , 4:08am
post #5 of 9

Richs Bettercream comes to mind for a whipped cream type of icing (also doesnt have to be refrigerated), but boy do I hate decorating with that stuff.....

paolacaracas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paolacaracas Posted 4 Jul 2007 , 4:08am
post #6 of 9

I think it should be soft and neutral, as you have allready two strong flavors going on

SaraO Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SaraO Posted 5 Jul 2007 , 5:34am
post #7 of 9

I know you can buy coconut extract and just add it to regular bc but do you think that would be too much coconut? If not, then, that's an idea.

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 5 Jul 2007 , 5:59am
post #8 of 9

I like SaraO's idea, but go very easy on the coconut flavoring. Just make it so that there's a hint of it. If not that, then I would suggest either the whipped cream or a mild and light buttercream, but I'm still partial to the coconut flavoring.

melysa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melysa Posted 5 Jul 2007 , 6:15am
post #9 of 9

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-901-Whipped-Cream-Frosting.html

simple, yet seriously amazing. it would compliment the fruit ...and even the coconut....flavors really well. it is a light, not too sweet delicate icing. it doesnt crust, but i think it would work perfectly. pipes well too.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%