Not To Sound Gross But..........pets?

Decorating By heavenscent Updated 26 Aug 2006 , 8:47pm by Steady2Hands

heavenscent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heavenscent Posted 24 Aug 2006 , 2:15am
post #1 of 41

If any one has a housefull of animals you know what I am saying. I have a couple of cats who are indoor only. We have three dogs who are in & out I bake alot and clean before I do cakes but ocasionally a stray hair will end up in the icing. I know and can and very understandbly how that could really borther some people. Does anyone else have this issue or any sugestions? thumbsdown.gif

40 replies
Sweetpeeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweetpeeps Posted 24 Aug 2006 , 2:24am
post #2 of 41

Maybe rent a commercial kitchen for baking. I personally would be sick to my stomach if their was animal hair in my food. I think it could hurt your reputation if it happened to get in a customers order. Good luck. I hope it works out for you =)

TheCakeSmith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakeSmith Posted 24 Aug 2006 , 2:25am
post #3 of 41

I don't have any suggestions, but I can commiserate (sp?). I have a Basset Hound, Lola, and this past Saturday in my Wilton class I was rolling out my fondant and noticed a dog hair. I just said, "Oh, look! Lola made it to class with me!" icon_redface.gif
I don't know if there is anyway to completely prevent it. Sorry!

notjustcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
notjustcake Posted 24 Aug 2006 , 2:27am
post #4 of 41

I asked my instructor in my class the same question. I know she sells cakes for a living and she has a pet so I thought I'd ask and she says you can clean all you want but if it happens it happens there is nothing you can do about that, I guess it is what it is, I clean my kitchen and lock up my cat because he is very nosy and loves shortening I found that out when I did my own baking!!! So lock up the cat it's what I do I guess other than that if some hair it's going to get in the cake I would be more worried that it is one of mine!!!!!!!

Dordee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dordee Posted 24 Aug 2006 , 2:27am
post #5 of 41

I used to have an indoor cat and that bothered me more than anything. I will stop eating if I find a hair in my food even if it is my own hair. I got rid of my cat because I was afraid my son would pick something up off the floor and put it in his mouth and it would have a hair on it. I guess it is a pet peeve of mine. I don't have any suggestions about how to control the stray hairs from getting everywhere. That is almost impossible I would say.

brightbrats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brightbrats Posted 24 Aug 2006 , 2:31am
post #6 of 41

How cool, my niece has a bassett hound named Lola too. icon_cool.gif

Also I have 2 dogs in the house, and totally understand where you are coming from.

Fortunatally, I haven't sold anything, so I don't have to worry about a customer, but I still hate finding them everywhere.

My husband is a trucker, and he says the dogs go everywhere with him (hair). icon_cry.gif

I wish I knew what to do too, if you find a cure, please spread the word. thumbs_up.gif

Bethroze Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bethroze Posted 24 Aug 2006 , 2:31am
post #7 of 41

If the cake is coming from a home, life happens...This doesn't mean that it is not an excellent idea to do a once over the kitchen before baking, but even when I clean, pull my own hair back in a scarf and put on an apron, I have found a stray hair here or there from any various animal, child or parent in the household. Even a commercial kitchen is going to have its gross things, just look at what is allowed in prepackaged food. Society has become extrememly sterile, but I just don't see how we can create art in a bubble full of antibacterial gel. All you can do is your best, and maybe gate the animals out of the kitchen while you bake. icon_rolleyes.gif

lsawyer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lsawyer Posted 24 Aug 2006 , 2:32am
post #8 of 41

Keep them out of the kitchen--all the time!. Try using a baby gate or doggie gate. Also, if you've been petting them (or sitting where they've been sitting) before baking/decorating, consider a shower and a change of clothes, and put your hair up. Also, if you let them in your car and you deliver your product, cover the floors with a clean sheet, put your items in a cake box, and then cover that with cloth or plastic. I know this is a hassle, but ......... Ya' know, animals and food just don't mix. I'd hate to see you get sued over something like this. Also, don't let your products sit out overnight where they can get them (and they will!). Consider a separate room for decorating?

martinez73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
martinez73 Posted 24 Aug 2006 , 2:33am
post #9 of 41

I understand how you all feel.. I am a hairstylist so I am around hair ALL the time. So, I am used to it if I see hair in my food at lunch time..I come home with it all over my clothes and everything.. Yes it is GROSS. I just think that no matter how much you clean you might end up with one of your very own hairs in some of your stuff. May not be the cat or dog it could be yours. Unless you wear a hair net while your baking and frosting.. Thats just how I think..

emilykakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emilykakes Posted 24 Aug 2006 , 2:39am
post #10 of 41

I have the same problem at my house (2 labs and 3 cats). That is why I would never even think of trying to sell from my home. A couple of things that I have found that helped with the hair is a product called Loshed(sp) my vet suggested it and it works great...not only does it cut down on the sheding but it also reduces the dander. Another thing that I do is I ocasionally feed my dogs cooked eggs, this has really helped a lot...don't know why it works but it does.

heavenscent Posted 24 Aug 2006 , 2:51am
post #11 of 41

Thanks guys nice to know I am not the only person with this issue. I sweep the house because I have wooden floors twice a week & do the kitchen when ever I bake. I have not thought about changing clothes before I decorate. Thanks for the tip on low shed will have to try it. Thanks again

notjustcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
notjustcake Posted 24 Aug 2006 , 3:02am
post #12 of 41

Bethroze~~~ You could have not said it any better!!!! I totally agree with you. I also don't sell any cakes, I give them away. I try my best but I have had homecooked goods even in restaurants with hair in it and I have lost my appetite but regained it within my next meal LOL. Yes it is gross but you know it happens to everyone who cooks and is not like you're gonna embarrass anyone and tell them you found hair in their food. That usually doesn't happen on purpose. You should try what I do I wipe shopping cart handles with a baby wipe and it turns black may be seeing a little hair in your cake isn't so bad who knows what people touch before they touch the cart!!!!! I know I lock up my cat, get hairnets and totally clean my counters.

nanettedelong Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nanettedelong Posted 24 Aug 2006 , 4:09am
post #13 of 41

I have seen where people use one of those big rolls of plastic or paper and cover their worksurfaces when they decorate. Maybe that would help?? We have a cat who is mostly outdoor but I am super paranoid about this too! I have an island in my kitchen that I clear off completely and windex & paper towel before I get started.

butterflyjuju Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterflyjuju Posted 24 Aug 2006 , 5:28am
post #14 of 41

Y'all sure are making me glad I have a 4lb short hair chihuahua. He only sheds right after a bath. Although when I decorate I go put my hair up in a bun, change clothing, do not touch the dog during, and fully clean the kitchen and my hands. The dog is penned until the cake is finished and boxed. The kids aren't allowed into the kitchen until then either.

TandTHarrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TandTHarrell Posted 24 Aug 2006 , 5:36am
post #15 of 41

when i boguht my dog 3 years ago the . the first thing i ask for was please show me a dog that do not shed and thats how i chose my minature schanuzer......

JoanneK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoanneK Posted 24 Aug 2006 , 5:46am
post #16 of 41

I have two small dogs. We make sure to brush them everyday to help with the hair loss ending up inside. We also got one of those Roomba vacuums and let it run everyday. We roll the couch and chairs with a sticky roller.

I always have my own hair back and my teacher taught me to wear white when I'm decorating so if anything is on me I can see it.

I am the biggest animal lover in the world and it wouldn't bother me at all if I found a dog or cat hair in my cake. But if it is a human YUCK!!!! I'm funny that way. However, people who are not animal lovers will be taken back by a pet hair as much or more then human hair.

You can not get sued for a hair. At least not here in CA. It happens sometimes in the best of places.

If it should every happen just give a refund or offer to make a new cake. Most people understand some things like a hair will happen no matter how hard you try to keep the place clean.

gibson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gibson Posted 24 Aug 2006 , 6:20am
post #17 of 41

My dog stays outside most of the day and doesn't shed (shitzu) but I am always worried about my hair gettingin the icing or cake batter. I always wear a hat and tie my hair back but am thinking of using hair nets. Where do you buy them?

icon_biggrin.gif

Cake_Geek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Geek Posted 24 Aug 2006 , 11:27am
post #18 of 41

I agree with Bethroze -- it just happens. The amount of rodent droppings and such in prepackaged food is just gross so a cat hair or 2 in the icing isn't going to kill anyone. And as hard as you clean and as well as you clean, really won't prevent it unless you just bought brand new clothes too as the fur does stick to your clothes even after washing.

Your only choice is to get rid of the pets! I know I'll never do this. I'd stop baking first. icon_smile.gif

Sweetpeeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweetpeeps Posted 24 Aug 2006 , 12:10pm
post #19 of 41

I think either way animal hair or human most people would flip. I just try to be extra careful with my hair. I won't comb my hair in the same clothes I cook in. I always change shirts. I would get sick off of my own if it were in my dinner. lol. Maybe I'm just hyper sensitive. icon_redface.gif I have cooked in atleast 4 different commercial kitchens in catering jobs and they were extremely clean. These places have to meet health code regualtions. You do always hear horror stories of commercial places, like food manufactering companies. I always hope all those things aren't true. Ahhh. I could starve to death thinking about it. I get grossed out easy, so look over me. icon_lol.gif

tammiemarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tammiemarie Posted 24 Aug 2006 , 12:30pm
post #20 of 41

We have 2 cats, mostly outdoor, and a lab, outdoor except for brief runs through the house when he sneaks by us! I always clean my kitchen before I start, wear a bandana over my hair, etc. I have a 7 month old so I clean the floors all the time. But we put a large stand fan in our kitchen to help cool it, and I am disgusted by the cat hair that collects on it!!! I thought our house was clean, too. So I know you can never get away from it if you have pets in the house, even rarely. I bake for friends and family only, and unless I can get a separate kitchen that's probably all I will ever do.

sectheatre Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sectheatre Posted 24 Aug 2006 , 7:59pm
post #21 of 41

Think of me however you like, but I am an animal lover before a cake decorator. I don't sell to anyone that doesn't know that. Most of my friends agree with the theory that animal hair is condiment.

Not that I don't clean well or do my best to keep my food hairless, but it's pretty impossible to be perfect with my animal crew and various foster animals running around.

hell-I'm lucky if they don't lick the icing!!! j/k -I would never allow that -at least on any cake I am selling. now for my own family.....????? What can I say-my cat shares my cereal bowl in the morning.

MrsSoko Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsSoko Posted 24 Aug 2006 , 8:20pm
post #22 of 41

sectheatre - I totally agree with you about being a pet lover before a cake decorator. My dog comes first... well after my husband and child... although there are days... lol

Anyways... It happens. People find hair in food all the time. I would much rather it be a hair from a dog or cat than a person! But I've eat in a 5 star restaurant and had hair in my salad before. We are all human... it happens. And everyone that orders cakes from me knows that my dog is family and that he is often right at my feet while I decorate.

mom2csc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2csc Posted 24 Aug 2006 , 8:22pm
post #23 of 41

thanks for this post. i was wondering the same thing. i have a toy american eskiomo. it doesn't help that her hair is white. we just had her shaved. i'll try that shampoo i read about and feeding her eggs more often. i have an open floor plan, so keepign her out of the kitchen is out of the question.

anyone tried those brushed from the commercials that are supposed to eliminate shedding?

TOMAY Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TOMAY Posted 24 Aug 2006 , 8:41pm
post #24 of 41

ok guys the only real way to try to prevent this is being a super super vaccumer at least 1 week prior to doing a cake espeacially fondant ! restrict pets from your prep area , vaccum your floors twice a day and change your air filters , you can also invest in a hepa filter that pulls yuck out of the air. I have allergies and do this on a daily basis. My pups still leave hair everywhere but i guess that is the price you have to pay when you have shelties icon_rolleyes.gif .

genean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
genean Posted 24 Aug 2006 , 8:42pm
post #25 of 41

I had to laugh when I saw this post. 1 lab and 2 cats. Lots of hair - I clean, change my shirt and my hair is up. No problems yet. Also I'll let you in on my biggest secret.

I generally decorate my cakes between the hrs of 10pm and 4 am depending. Everyone, the kids, dog and even cats are sleeping and I have the house to myself. I am usually tired the next day for work but I get through the day. Not all of them take me that long and they probably take me longer because I'm working at night but I couldn't imagine doing it when everyone is running around. Call me crazy..... icon_lol.gif

Monica_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Monica_ Posted 24 Aug 2006 , 9:06pm
post #26 of 41

I have two indoor cats myself, and yes they are nosy little things! The thing that's difficult about cleaning up pet hair period is that it's 'light', meaning you can sweep your kitchen floor, but chance are half the fur just floated around with every sweep of the broom. Not only do I make sure to clean all surfaces, but I tell you I think one of the smartest things I ever did period was learning to go back through the kitchen with a vacuum even after sweeping. Especially by just sticking the open hose end of the attachment into corners and under the cabinets, etc, it sucks all that fur right up, unlike a broom which just kind of pushes it around.

And, I dunno that it matters but, if any of you pet lovers haven't tried a Swiffer Wetjet yet, it's a must! I'll never go back to a nasty hair ridden sponge mop again!

heavenscent Posted 25 Aug 2006 , 2:14am
post #27 of 41

Boy you have no idea how much better I feel after posting this. I was so worried that most of you would freak out about the whole topic. I am so glad that I have fellow decorators who are going through the same thing. Not to mention I have picked up some very helpful tips. Did I mention how much I love this site! icon_lol.gif [/list]

jaitee69 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jaitee69 Posted 25 Aug 2006 , 2:35am
post #28 of 41

I have 3 indoor only cats and run into the same problem. Besides that, my hair is very thick, though not very long, and I find it all over my clothes and everything else. I change my clothes before decorating, pull up my hair and wear an apron to try and prevent any mishaps, but stuff happens. With a husband, 2 kids and 3 cats, I don't stress about too much in that department. I've only made 2 paid cakes, and haven't had any problems with them. I make sure to wipe everything down beforehand and check everything as I'm working, as well as afterwards. But, as any of us with animals know, if anyone is breathing in your house to stir the air around, you find little floaties - even where the cats don't go! Being an animal lover, finding a cat hair around my food doesn't bother me, but finding human hair in my food when I'm out is a definate turnoff! After all, I know where my animals have been, but I don't know where that hair came from! Luckily, my 2 paid cakes so far have been to a woman with 3 indoor cats and the other has a large rotweiller so animal hair was not an issue.

Since I do this only as a hobby, if it became an issue, I'd go back to just making cakes for family & friends - my furkids are just as much a part of my family as my non-furkids!!

Deanna

czyadgrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
czyadgrl Posted 25 Aug 2006 , 3:21am
post #29 of 41

I'm loving this post. One cat and one very sheddy hound dog over here!

I have to vacuum, then mop the kitchen floor before it even feels clean to me.

I try to keep up on the whole house, but even right after a thourough vacuuming, animal hair tumbleweeds just show up as if from no where (que cowboy whistling).

We actually use the cat's slicker brush (I think that's what they're called) AND something they call a hound mit on the dog. The mit gets out the overcoat hair, the cat brush gets the fluffy undercoat out pretty well. I'm pretty sure that if the dog was brushed every day, he'd still give up 5 or more brushfulls of hair. And it's SHORT! Of every color. White thru black.Doesn't hide anywhere.

I was wondering about that brush they sell on TV too! I did see it at JC Penny for around $12 or something. Almost bought it several times but wasn't sure. The dual-brush system seems to work pretty well, plus that shed ender thing is pretty small. Dog is pretty big! I'm not sure it would save time.

I'm rambling now, sorry!

icon_smile.gif

I don't sell cakes but still worry about a coworker finding one! I'd also be more grossed out by finding human hair in anything I was eating than finding a pet hair. I'm sure I don't want to know how much I consume already!

Jorre Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jorre Posted 25 Aug 2006 , 4:34am
post #30 of 41

I've always been happy that I never had to worry about pet hair, pets eating my cakes etc.

Tommorow my hubby is going to get a Bull Mastiff. 200lbs of DOG. icon_eek.gif

Oh my..... I've been told you can vaccum the dog itself, maybe that will help cut down on loose hair. I know I see a lot of vacuuming in my future.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%