I Just Quit My Day Job...

Decorating By mrsright41401 Updated 24 Aug 2006 , 12:32pm by karateka

mrsright41401 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsright41401 Posted 23 Aug 2006 , 10:18pm
post #1 of 27

For the past while I've been a web developer for Grand Canyon University. We've had a hard time finding affordable daycare (360/week! icon_eek.gifthumbsdown.gif ) and so my husband & I decided that I'd quit and focus on cakes and he'd step up the pressure at work. We're going to be dirt poor for a while, but I know this is the right decision!

Now I have to start getting more customers because my goal is in 6 months is to have enough business that it warrants me renting some space at a professional kitchen.

Rachel

26 replies
CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 23 Aug 2006 , 10:21pm
post #2 of 27

congratulations! icon_smile.gif

SweetBellina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetBellina Posted 23 Aug 2006 , 10:22pm
post #3 of 27

i'm sorry about it mrsright, but being poor but doing your passion is better in my opinion.coz u will be doing what u really want to do....and gud luck with your new full time career..i just found out this moringing that i will be facing the same situation in exactly 9 months, if you know what i mean icon_wink.gif , so i too, would probably try to be successful with baking and cake decorating.. again, gud luck!

AngelaDay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngelaDay Posted 23 Aug 2006 , 10:23pm
post #4 of 27

Congratulations....you can do it. My husband is the bread winner here, we have 5 boys ( 11, 6, 2, 1) and cooking and baking are my thing too.....now all I need to do is to get the courage to get started.....keep us posted

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 23 Aug 2006 , 10:25pm
post #5 of 27

here's a thought...

how about also offering web site development services to your fellow cake decorators who can do a cake but are clueless klutzes when it comes to doing a website?

adams2shop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adams2shop Posted 23 Aug 2006 , 10:25pm
post #6 of 27

Congratulations! That's so exciting (and scary!). Good luck and I'm sure with all the great advice on this site, you'll soon be busier than you can handle.

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 23 Aug 2006 , 10:27pm
post #7 of 27

Great Idea Doug...... icon_biggrin.gif

momsandraven Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momsandraven Posted 23 Aug 2006 , 10:27pm
post #8 of 27

GOOD FOR YOU!!

I'm sure it was not an easy decision to make, hopefully you will have a relatively smooth transition. There are lots of great marketing ideas in the Cake Business forum here that can help get you started.

You'll see, you'll be busy in no time!! thumbs_up.gif

Happy Baking,
Beth

sugarfreak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarfreak Posted 23 Aug 2006 , 10:30pm
post #9 of 27

Congrats!

spottydog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
spottydog Posted 23 Aug 2006 , 10:38pm
post #10 of 27

Wow congrats on making a tough decision like that. I have actually just did the same thing last week. Funny thing is that I was the day care provider. But wow 360.00 a week!!!! Jeepers!!! That's crazy! I don't blame you one bit! Good luck on your new impending career. Your cakes are great and I am sure you'll do great!

Pootchi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pootchi Posted 23 Aug 2006 , 10:43pm
post #11 of 27

Wow!! big move!! I wish you luck and big success!! I know it's not an easy decision you made. I'm sure you'll do great, your cakes are so beautiful!!

And keep us posted!!!!

prettycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prettycake Posted 23 Aug 2006 , 10:47pm
post #12 of 27

You must be listening to Dr. Laura Schlessinger..She is always
begging mothers to stay home with their small children.

Good for you !!! I used to pay daycare for my son but it was $540.00/month. $360.00/week is a LOT !! And I am in California.
Now you can start your cake life. Good luck with your new venture.
I'm sure your child will be very happy. And you will too. thumbs_up.gif

auntsushi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntsushi Posted 23 Aug 2006 , 10:48pm
post #13 of 27

Best of luck to you ~ I think it's great when a mom or dad can stay home with their little ones during the day.

RaRaRobyn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RaRaRobyn Posted 23 Aug 2006 , 10:52pm
post #14 of 27

I agree, kudos on staying home with your children! I don't even think my job (if I had one) would cover that cost of daycare!! Here in Anchorage (well, on base anyways) is 160 a week for BOTH my 3 year old and my 18 month old!!! I could never imagine paying double that for daycare a week!!

Congratulations and good luck to you and your family!!

usaribbon.gif Ra

ngarza07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ngarza07 Posted 23 Aug 2006 , 10:53pm
post #15 of 27

How many kids do you have in daycare? That is expensive, but I'm assuming you have more than one. My bestest gal pal quit her day job too after having twins, making her total 3 kids. Day care would have killed her. But cakes are her thing now and with the kids all going to school fulltime next month, she'll have more time for cakes.

mocakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mocakes Posted 23 Aug 2006 , 10:54pm
post #16 of 27

That is an awesome idea, Doug!! She could be a real asset to cake decorators developing a web page AND learn some inside tips and do's and don't from other professionals!

I would like to leave you w/ a thought....When my husband would leave for work each night my two sons wouldn't say goodbye or good luck, they would say "Go to your destiny, Dad!"....this job was something he was destined to do, so when you think of your work as your passion, in reality it is your destiny. So go for it....and "go to your destiny"!!

mrsright41401 Posted 23 Aug 2006 , 10:55pm
post #17 of 27

THank you everyone. I had only been a work out of the home mom for 2 months - before that I'd been home with the boys for 5 years.

I would be happy to help people with web development - and I still have to finish something I started for one of hte women on here (sorry - I am feel really bad about that!) but I'll be glad to help anyone who needs anything.

Rachel

mrsright41401 Posted 23 Aug 2006 , 10:58pm
post #18 of 27

I also want to say that mothers who work out of the home and still find the emergy and time to be with their kids are my heroes and though I know that i need to be at home with my kids, I know that you all are doing the best you possibly can and that you are heroes in my mind!

Rachel

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 23 Aug 2006 , 10:59pm
post #19 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsright41401

THank you everyone. I had only been a work out of the home mom for 2 months - before that I'd been home with the boys for 5 years.

I would be happy to help people with web development - and I still have to finish something I started for one of hte women on here (sorry - I am feel really bad about that!) but I'll be glad to help anyone who needs anything.

Rachel

hey I wasn't talkin' about free help.... i was talkin' about charging a fee.....

considering what it takes to make a site..... just like cakes... no freebies except in very extenuating circumstances.

donnajf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
donnajf Posted 24 Aug 2006 , 2:49am
post #20 of 27

Doug! Great idea I would be the first on line- for help!
Believe it or not, I am shopping around for those services...God knows I need it!

I've only been able to upload 1 louzy pix into my profile -so that should explain it!

So bring it on and let us see what you got TUTTS!

Doug! snot all of us are "clueless klutzes"-mmmmm- just most of us!icon_mad.gificon_mad.gif

2 more days Doug 2 MORE Daysssss Ha HA! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

mrsright41401 Posted 24 Aug 2006 , 4:02am
post #21 of 27

Well, if anyone wants me to help them - I'll keep it super cheap and we can all work to get everyone a fantastic cake site - cuz I don't believe that websites should be expensive!

Just message me, e-mail me ([email protected]) or whatever and I'll talk to you about what you want.

Rachel

notjustcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
notjustcake Posted 24 Aug 2006 , 4:11am
post #22 of 27

Well good for you good luck!!! I have a 7 year old, a 23 months old and one due in 6 weeks. paying for daycare can get expensive I haven't worked since I married my husband whatever I can bring home money wise is not worth it. The change for you will be difficult at first but you will make it work and you will be so happy. Cake decorating is my hobby but my life revolves around those kids and my husband I will drop anything for them I am on call 24 hours this is what I chose to do with my life while they are young. Good luck to you and your family

butterflyjuju Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterflyjuju Posted 24 Aug 2006 , 5:32am
post #23 of 27

Good luck to you! I do not work out of the home either for the same reason. Why spend my whole paycheck for childcare of two children when I can take care of them? I also homeschool so sending them to school and getting a part time job is out for me too...lol. I love it though and wouldn't have it any other way.

CakeRN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeRN Posted 24 Aug 2006 , 5:41am
post #24 of 27

Well if you multiply 360 x 4 that is 1440.00 month x 12 months = 17280 per year. Now add to that clothes to wear to work, lunches, snacks etch then you have well over 20 grand a year! The way I look at it you can only GO UP from here!

Good luck....

tw1nkle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tw1nkle Posted 24 Aug 2006 , 5:48am
post #25 of 27

$360 per week is alot of money BUT just thought I tell you that here in New Zealand the average price for one child in daycare is $250 per week! (And, thats a reasonalby cheap one!)

After school care here is more $150 per week! SO you can all understand why I work an evening shift (5pm till 1am) icon_wink.gif

barbara-ann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
barbara-ann Posted 24 Aug 2006 , 12:26pm
post #26 of 27

Congratulations. I know you will love it again, plus you will be able to(hopefully) decorate more this way. I worked nights and weekends when my girls were young, so I could tend to them during the day, then my husband would take over when I was at work. Sometimes it was tough, but well worth it. It's amazing how much you can do without when faced with the situation.
I also taught both my kids to read starting at the age of 3(Hooked on Phonics!) and they were doing simple math at age 4. And, they absoutely love school!

karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 24 Aug 2006 , 12:32pm
post #27 of 27

Good for you! Here's hoping you have a thriving cake business, and all goes well for you.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%