White Stars Without Using Fondant?

Decorating By Crystalm Updated 3 Jul 2007 , 10:18pm by dezzib27

Crystalm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crystalm Posted 3 Jul 2007 , 3:38am
post #1 of 13

I am making a fourth of July cake. Red Velvet with Blue Cream Cheese Icingicon_smile.gif I want to add some white stars on the cake. I dont want to have to buy fondant just for that. How else can I get the effect I want? I was thinking maybe a stencil and use some sifted powdered sugar? Just want something really quick and easy, any tips??

12 replies
maryjsgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maryjsgirl Posted 3 Jul 2007 , 3:44am
post #2 of 13

You could pipe out some stars with royal icing.

rezzygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rezzygirl Posted 3 Jul 2007 , 3:45am
post #3 of 13

Maybe flatten some marshmallows and cut them into star shapes? Or a small batch of royal icing or candy melts: pipe star shapes onto parchment, let dry then attach?

tobycat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tobycat Posted 3 Jul 2007 , 3:51am
post #4 of 13

I'd go with the candy melts -- so easy to do! Good luck!

S.

mekaclayton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mekaclayton Posted 3 Jul 2007 , 3:55am
post #5 of 13

I've made smooth designs by just using regular buttercream and cornstarch to flatten or smooth it out with my fingers. Ya know, draw the design out, fill it in and pat smooth with finger dipped cornstarch. Sorry, may not sound as good as others, but just offering my suggestions. icon_smile.gif

JILBRY Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JILBRY Posted 3 Jul 2007 , 4:03am
post #6 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoma9

I'd go with the candy melts -- so easy to do! Good luck!

S.

second that!

mommalud Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommalud Posted 3 Jul 2007 , 10:19am
post #7 of 13

what about making MMF? fairly inexspensive and very easy!

Tartacadabra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tartacadabra Posted 3 Jul 2007 , 10:59am
post #8 of 13

Candy melts or white chocolate are really easy to work with (well here in Holland you can buy white chocolate in the supermarket but no candy melts unfortunately).

But all the ideas are good I think, royal icing would work too (just leave it to dry for at least 24 hours), I hope you already picked one idea for tomorrow icon_smile.gif

Good luck!!

hottub Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hottub Posted 3 Jul 2007 , 11:56am
post #9 of 13

ditto on the candy melts I just did a bunch for a grad cake and they set in minutes (used a lolly pop mold)

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 3 Jul 2007 , 1:59pm
post #10 of 13

You could make an impression with a star-shaped cutter, then fill in with your buttercream.

gramofgwen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gramofgwen Posted 3 Jul 2007 , 2:07pm
post #11 of 13

I vote for the candy melts with star lollipop method! It's the easiest way I know of. icon_smile.gif

randipanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
randipanda Posted 3 Jul 2007 , 4:17pm
post #12 of 13

If you have molds or even cookie cutters you can do ones with molded sugar. Mix some sugar with a little merinuge powder (if you want-not neccessary) and then just enough water to make it like wet sand. You can then use it to mold shapes and such. It is kinda fun actually.

dezzib27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dezzib27 Posted 3 Jul 2007 , 10:18pm
post #13 of 13

I like that sugar method, i think I might try it for the cake Im doing for tomorrow. Don't worry, I am not experimenting last minute on a paid cake LOL!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%