Quick Please- What Do These Look Like? Help!

Decorating By marthajo1 Updated 3 Jul 2007 , 9:18pm by marthajo1

marthajo1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marthajo1 Posted 2 Jul 2007 , 6:35pm
post #1 of 20

I need to know if you can tell what these are supposed to be. I have about an hour and a half to get them on the sides of the cake. It is for my DD (not a paid cake).

Can you tell they are supposed to be palm trees? Do you like the rough trunk or the smooth ones? This is BC dream...I dont want to use anything else so dont suggest that but any other suggestions or tip suggestions are much appreciated!!!
LL

19 replies
cake-angel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake-angel Posted 2 Jul 2007 , 6:41pm
post #2 of 20

My first thought before reading what you wrote is Palm trees -- so yes they do look like palm trees. I personally like the rough trunk trees. Great job!!

MiaT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MiaT Posted 2 Jul 2007 , 6:43pm
post #3 of 20

Yes, I could tell they were supposed to be palm trees. I'd suggest making the palm fronds stick out a little more, >< kinda instead of drooping down the trunk. Try a leaf tip and ruffle a little. The rough trunks look more realistic, but they are a little thick. The shape on the smooth trunk is better (kinda tapering to the top).

cake-angel Posted 2 Jul 2007 , 6:45pm
post #4 of 20

I agree with MiaT now that she mentions it.

arwa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arwa Posted 2 Jul 2007 , 6:49pm
post #5 of 20

they surely look like palm trees.... i agree with MiaT. Maybe u could make the leaves a little darker. The rough trunk looks really good! Do post the final cake... All the best!

ShanonR Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShanonR Posted 2 Jul 2007 , 6:50pm
post #6 of 20

Looks like palm trees to me. I personally like the rough tree better.

Shaynamills Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shaynamills Posted 2 Jul 2007 , 6:50pm
post #7 of 20

I agree with all of the above, they look like palm trees and I like the rough bark the best, can't wait to see the final cake.

sweetness11379 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetness11379 Posted 2 Jul 2007 , 6:53pm
post #8 of 20

Very cute. Looks like palm trees before I even read your post and just looked. Gotta agree that the rough one looks better.

nmartin7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nmartin7 Posted 2 Jul 2007 , 6:54pm
post #9 of 20

They do look like palm trees, my opinion is that the rough trunk looks better. I might consider "86ing" the coconuts, (but that's just me).

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 2 Jul 2007 , 6:55pm
post #10 of 20

I guessed palm trees, too. I agree with the frond suggestion. Here's a pic of some cookies I did using tip 352 for the fronds. I like the textured trunk, but agree that it should taper more toward the top.

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 2 Jul 2007 , 6:55pm
post #11 of 20

I guessed palm trees, too. I agree with the frond suggestion. Here's a pic of some cookies I did using tip 352 for the fronds. I like the textured trunk, but agree that it should taper more toward the top.
LL

bethola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethola Posted 2 Jul 2007 , 7:08pm
post #12 of 20

Knew they were palm trees. Agree with the others...like the rough trunk as well.

PS MY SON lives in VISALIA!! Just got home from a visit last week!!

Beth in KY

marthajo1 Posted 2 Jul 2007 , 7:30pm
post #13 of 20

Okay so I decided I had better do them on the cake.... I can still adjust as I go around.... what do you think so far?
LL

cake-angel Posted 2 Jul 2007 , 7:55pm
post #14 of 20

I love them!! The one leaning over on the right has a nicer look to the leaves than the other as far as the shape of the spread goes. Overall I think they are great.

anorris3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anorris3 Posted 2 Jul 2007 , 8:08pm
post #15 of 20

They look good but I would make the leaves smaller.

marthajo1 Posted 2 Jul 2007 , 8:17pm
post #16 of 20

oops too late to make the leaves smaller! icon_lol.gif I am almost done now! icon_lol.gif It is okay if the look top haevy it is just a fun cake anyway! (its gotta have flamingos on it! icon_lol.gif aaaah to be 6 again!)

It always cracks me up how you notice stuff on the camera that looks forgiveable in real life.... crunbs bad icing.... oh well... DD just came in and is so excited!

SSSSHHH-- dont tell but the top layer is a secret! (A Barbie hula girl! icon_lol.gif )

Thanks for all your help! tip 352 worked great! Much easier than the elongated violet leaves I was attempting! icon_lol.gif Thanks again all! I will post a link to finished cake here!

marthajo1 Posted 2 Jul 2007 , 8:25pm
post #17 of 20

Oh my gosh one of the palm trees just fell off!! Oh I hope no more do!! I put it back on and made sure to press really hard into the background BC!

nmartin7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nmartin7 Posted 3 Jul 2007 , 8:03pm
post #18 of 20

Good Job thumbs_up.gif

cambo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cambo Posted 3 Jul 2007 , 9:01pm
post #19 of 20

I think they look great!

marthajo1 Posted 3 Jul 2007 , 9:18pm
post #20 of 20

Thanks so much to all of you for your input!! Here is the finished cake:

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=733613&done=1

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%