Painting On Fondant And Making It Dry Faster!

Decorating By chefdot Updated 23 Aug 2006 , 1:40pm by Karenelli

chefdot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefdot Posted 22 Aug 2006 , 8:02pm
post #1 of 9

I have to make a teacup tonight for a cake on Saturday and I heard somewhere where you could use gumtex or something like that to make it harden quicker... can anyone explain exactly what that is and how to do it.
Also, I want to be able to paint something on the cup... what should I use to do that?
Help! Please! Anyone! icon_cry.gif

8 replies
chefdot Posted 22 Aug 2006 , 8:15pm
post #2 of 9

bumping myself cuz no one's responded... HELP! PLEASE! I BEG YOU ALL!

JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 22 Aug 2006 , 8:19pm
post #3 of 9

Gumtex can be added to make the fondant stronger and dry faster. If it was actual gumpaste, it would be 50/50 gp and fondant. I think you can add a spoonful or so without consequence.

For painting, luster dusts and lemon extract are thought ot work best.

MelissaLynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MelissaLynn Posted 22 Aug 2006 , 8:21pm
post #4 of 9

There have been lots of people posting that you can mix fondant with gumtex or doing 50/50 fondant/gumpaste to help with the drying process. I haven't had a chance to try this so I can't say for sure. I can say that when "painting" fondant, mix your gel colors with a bit of drinking alcohol then go to town painting. Don't mix with water because they will never dry. I've read that you can mix with lemon extract, but I don't know for sure about that. Good luck!

chefdot Posted 22 Aug 2006 , 8:23pm
post #5 of 9

So is gumtex like a fondant consistancy or a powder?

JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 22 Aug 2006 , 8:25pm
post #6 of 9

Gumtex is a product that is used to make gumpaste. You add sugar and water, and sometimes a couple other ingredients.

It helps the dough dry faster and hard.

chefdot Posted 22 Aug 2006 , 8:29pm
post #7 of 9

oh ok, so i can get it at michael's or where ever and i am sure it will have instructions on it then? at least i hope so.

CakeRN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeRN Posted 23 Aug 2006 , 7:55am
post #8 of 9

The gumtex I have is a powder and you work it into the fondant.
If you mix some color in vodka (highest proof) then you get a good paint to use. Vodka is cheaper than using lemon or any of the extracts and if you get frustrated you can just drink some of it.... icon_lol.gif

Karenelli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karenelli Posted 23 Aug 2006 , 1:40pm
post #9 of 9

Sundine2,
I love your way of coping with frustration!!! I have been sooo tempted from time to time. I have seen so many beautiful cakes simulate metal like silver or gold. How do you get the solid color for the metal look. Whenever I use a dust and mix it with extract or alcohol, I still can see the crystals. What am I doing wrong?????

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%