Gotta Check This Out Wow!!!!!!!!!!!

Decorating By cakesondemand Updated 23 Aug 2006 , 5:00pm by moydear77

JoanneK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoanneK Posted 22 Aug 2006 , 3:50pm
post #31 of 41

Well I live about 15 mins from her shop. I think I will run in there one day and see it in person. I will also ask about how they get away with the Disney stuff and others.

I don't think she has permission. It is so hard to get to Disney to give the ok to sell their stuff. Also, if she did get the ok Disney would demand they are called by the names Disney gave them.

I bet she is just selling them in the hopes she gets away with it. Part of me wants to contact Disney and ask them but then again, her stuff is bringing a lot of joy to kids so I don't want to the be the one who got her shut down.

I think I will go ahead and spend the $8 to see if her cookies are really worth the cost. I will let you guys know.

I won't be going for a few days though.

cakesbyjess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyjess Posted 22 Aug 2006 , 6:52pm
post #32 of 41

Joanne ... I look forward to hearing what you think of the shop! And I'm also anxious to hear about the copyright issues!!! Thanks for going to check it out for all of us!!! icon_smile.gif

dodibug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dodibug Posted 22 Aug 2006 , 6:55pm
post #33 of 41

I have to agree with Steady2Hands-once you get past the gloss it does leave something to be desired. I'm not familiar with pricing in California so I wonder if she is on the low,mid or high end of things. Maybe too you are more paying for the experience.

RisqueBusiness Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RisqueBusiness Posted 22 Aug 2006 , 7:04pm
post #34 of 41

I'm sure she has a full staff of bakers and decorators on staff!

I'll bet she doesn't do all that herself!!! Imposible!

Maybe she is the marketing brain!

I'll take the left over brains cells if you please!!...lol

LittleLinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleLinda Posted 23 Aug 2006 , 12:44pm
post #35 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoanneK

I will also ask about how they get away with the Disney stuff and others.

I bet she is just selling them in the hopes she gets away with it. Part of me wants to contact Disney and ask them but then again, her stuff is bringing a lot of joy to kids so I don't want to the be the one who got her shut down.

Joanne, to quote a former U.S. President, "don't ask, don't tell" I wouldn't stir up the pot. I know I wouldn't want anybody asking me questions about how I get away with making cakes of licensed characters. And telling on her is telling on all of us.

I'd love to hear your impressions of the shop, though.

RisqueBusiness Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RisqueBusiness Posted 23 Aug 2006 , 1:36pm
post #36 of 41

[quote="LittleLinda
Joanne, to quote a former U.S. President, "don't ask, don't tell" I wouldn't stir up the pot. I know I wouldn't want anybody asking me questions about how I get away with making cakes of licensed characters. And telling on her is telling on all of us.

I'd love to hear your impressions of the shop, though.[/quote]

I agree with LittleLinda, even though with a smaller baker or bakery they would be lossing the food right out of their mouths. I wouldn't want that Karma on me!! lol

But, make sure you take your "camera phone" if you have one..tee hee...after all, you ARE doing 'MARKET RESEARCH"..

I save all my STARBUCKS rec.....hopefuly I can talk the tax man into letting me take my "research" cup of coffee as a deduction....hahaha!

Ksue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ksue Posted 23 Aug 2006 , 1:54pm
post #37 of 41

I, too, agree with Steady2Hands. When you really look at her cookies, they're nothing to write home about. I've seen people on CC do far better work.

I suspect Mommy and Daddy have a boatload of money that they're using to prop up the shop 'til it turns a profit. And obviously Mom's a marketing whiz.

Reminds me of Ralph Lauren's daughter's candy stores.

Yawn.

JoanneK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoanneK Posted 23 Aug 2006 , 3:34pm
post #38 of 41

There was just a big write up about this shop in my local paper. It cost her ONE MILLION to get her shop started. This is not some little local shop that just got lucky. She spent big bucks on getting going and getting the word out.

No I would not ever really tell on her. I figure that's not my job. Let Disney check it out if they are interested. I don't really care In fact I find it silly that we all can't sell the cakes. I mean they make the pans and the sell the deco paks so why not?

I will take photos and I will ask her how she does get away with it. I will just tell her I"m new to selling cakes and was wondering how to go about it. The reason I will ask is because I really want to know. Not to report her but for myself.

LisaMS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaMS Posted 23 Aug 2006 , 3:52pm
post #39 of 41

The marketing is great but I guess I am one of the few not impressed with the quality of her work (at least the cake decorating.) See many gals here who blow her work away.

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 23 Aug 2006 , 3:56pm
post #40 of 41

The whole look of her store, logo, and indeed she herself remind me of the game Cake Mania. Anyone else see the resembalance icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif ?!

moydear77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moydear77 Posted 23 Aug 2006 , 5:00pm
post #41 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady2Hands

I looked at the site and agree with the permission and the name statements. The princess in her logo, I believe, is her own face. She's a pretty girl!

(not to sound negative) Her site reels you in as far as design, enchanting, beautiful, ect. BUT, if you look closely at the quality of her work, I'm not too impressed ( icon_surprised.gif sorry - don't hurt me!). The sides of the cakes aren't smooth and the designs aren't real neat. They are definitley cute, colorful, and fun! I worried that I wasn't good enough to open a store, but if she can do it, so can I (except, of course, I don't have the funds to do so icon_lol.gif ).

I agree--I love the store front. I was scanning the french desserts and they are very pretty. I have seen similar made by a company called Galaxy desserts. Kudos though for making a business.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%