Your Opinion On Books Please

Decorating By shortNsweet Updated 22 Aug 2006 , 6:12am by Chef_Stef

shortNsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shortNsweet Posted 20 Aug 2006 , 9:14pm
post #1 of 6

I was wondering if you all could give me your opinion on the top 5 books I should purchase from CC's store. I'm interested in Moderate to advanced cake decorating techniques. ( Party & Wedding Cakes). I thought I'd get everyone's opinion BEFORE I go and invest a lot of money and then have the book not be that great.
I like LOTS of colored pictures in my books!

5 replies
kjgjam22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjgjam22 Posted 20 Aug 2006 , 10:24pm
post #2 of 6

sorry, i cant help....i am a book freak and would suggest all. icon_wink.gif maybe not all but most. I do suggest though...check out the book at the store first to see if you really want it. i have bought a few duds online. i live in jamaica and the stores here dont carry a good selection of baking books so i end up having to buy online without getting to look inside. oh well. thats just my 2cents.

smashcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smashcakes Posted 21 Aug 2006 , 1:17pm
post #3 of 6

i'm not really familiar with alot of books, but i love anything by collette peters, also, maybe a book on sugar flowers? but i don't know i don't have many books myself. i actually just got a couple by debbie brown this weekend, one is cartoon characters, which is kind of fun. i would think a book that showed advanced sugar flowers would be good though.

JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 21 Aug 2006 , 5:36pm
post #4 of 6

There are several thread discussing favorit books. Here is a link to one:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-36976-favorite.html+favourite+books

emmascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emmascakes Posted 22 Aug 2006 , 5:59am
post #5 of 6

You've got to get Margaret Braun's Cakewalk - it's THE most gorgeous cake book out. It's like an art book and doesn't really focus much on decorating techniques (although they are covered) but it's just a delight to look through the photos. I show it to all my non-cakey friends and they just can't believe it's cake. Her web-site is: www.margaretbraun.com

Colette Peters has lovely books, her earlier ones look dated now though. Her latest 'Cakes to Dream On' is by far and away her best. If I had to keep only two of my books - thsoe would be them.

Chef_Stef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chef_Stef Posted 22 Aug 2006 , 6:12am
post #6 of 6

My top three would be Toba Garrett: The Well Decorated Cake
Sylvia Weinstock: Sweet Celebrations and
Colette Peters': Colette's Wedding Cakes

But I lean heavily towards wedding cakes...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%