Weekend Of Firsts

Decorating By pluto6210 Updated 30 Jun 2007 , 7:16pm by countrykittie

pluto6210 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pluto6210 Posted 30 Jun 2007 , 2:27pm
post #1 of 3

I am making a cake that is Red Hat Society. I found a cake that I am going to model it after but I have a few questions. I am making fondant for the first time and I need to color it red. I read somewhere that you should use paste coloring and I have nowhere around me that I can get that on the quick. Can I use Wilton red to color my fondant? Also how much red coloring do I need to get? I'm assuming that I will need quite a bit to get it really red.
Thank you for your help
Sue in PA

2 replies
AmyCakes2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmyCakes2 Posted 30 Jun 2007 , 2:36pm
post #2 of 3

You don't have a local Walmart, JoAnn's or Michael's to run too? I'm not sure where you are in PA! Anyway, red takes A LOT! Not sure which Wilton red you have, but just did a Red Hat cake out of buttercream and it took a lot of red. Don't know a whole lot about fondant, but do know you will use quite a bit of red and yes, the paste/gel works best.
Good luck!

countrykittie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
countrykittie Posted 30 Jun 2007 , 7:16pm
post #3 of 3

I need a bright red for a Canda flag. I don't know how to post a link, but there is a thread on here that I started on making bright red BC icing. The link is for Duff's red...start out with yellow, then add orange and then add your red. I'm going to try it tomorrow for my Canada day flag cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%