Getting Kind Of Depressed...

Decorating By valora387 Updated 30 Jun 2007 , 1:48am by lynda-bob

valora387 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
valora387 Posted 30 Jun 2007 , 1:27am
post #1 of 10

I've been baking and decorating cakes for a little over a year now. Usually my family comes to me when they need cakes done and I love doing it. However, for the past three occassions (Dad's b'day, godson's b'day, and cousin's engagement party) I've offered to do the cakes and was told: cake was being bought from supermarket for dad, SIL was making godson's cake, and aunt's friend had already offered to make engagement cake.
Now, maybe I'm just being overly sensitive, but I'm wondering if I think more of my cakes than other people do? I've never complained about doing them, so I don't think they just don't want to bother me.
What would you do in this situation? Anyone? icon_sad.gif

9 replies
alliebear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alliebear Posted 30 Jun 2007 , 1:34am
post #2 of 10

i wouldn't take it to personally... do they buy the cakes off of you or do you do it for free?? if you are doing them for free that might not want to you to go to the expense of doing such gorgeous cakes. i assume u are invited to these functions... maybe they just want u to enjoy yourself instead of stressing over the cake.
if you feel upet by this... they are your family.. talk to them and ask them about the situation

don't feel like its your cakes are the problem i had a quick look and they are beautiful icon_smile.gif

beemarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beemarie Posted 30 Jun 2007 , 1:36am
post #3 of 10

First of all, I think your cakes are very beautiful. Very nice work! I think our feelings tend to get most hurt by our family and friends, also. Do you think they just don't want to take advantage of you? This is something my family and friends would do. They know I am busy just raising my family and would not want to ask me to "go out of my way" to make yet another cake for a special occasion. I always offer, and I love it when they take me up on it, but I also know they have my best interest in mind when they don't ask me to make a cake. I figure my cake is a gift to them and I love making them for my friends and family. It just may be that they don't want to take advantage of you.

Keep up the good work. You really do a wonderful job thumbs_up.gif

lsawyer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lsawyer Posted 30 Jun 2007 , 1:38am
post #4 of 10

I'd pull aside a few trusted family members and ask them to be brutally honest with you. Is it the flavor? The skill level? How can you improve? Please don't be defensive if you don't like their responses. Consider it an opportunity to improve.

Or, maybe they don't want to inconvenience you, or have you think they're taking advantage of you.

It can be a variety of reasons. It could be just a fluke that they're using others (although I don't understand the supermarket cake purchase--I haven't had a good one yet).

Keep your chin up!

twooten173 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twooten173 Posted 30 Jun 2007 , 1:41am
post #5 of 10

Are you making the same cake (flavor) all of the time? If so, then maybe they are looking for a change. Did you ask why they are not asking you to do the cakes? Find out why.... put it out there that you need constructive criticism.

I once offered to do a wedding cake for my cousin and she told me that someone else "offered" to do it for her and hinted that she wanted it to look professional. Later she asked me to do her wedding cake because the lady kept raising her price - icon_eek.gif wait didn't the lady "offer" to do it, which I interpret as free or at cost. I told her no because I had a cake booked for that day icon_biggrin.gif . She ended up paying over $600 for a cake that I was willing to give her for free. She later told me that at the time she didn't think I could pull off such a intricate cake. Since she has so much confidence in me, she can't get a peanut butter and jelly sandwich out of my kitchen.

BTW, I looked at your pics. You do good work. Keep your head up.

notjustcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
notjustcake Posted 30 Jun 2007 , 1:43am
post #6 of 10

yeah that would never be the case with my family even 200 miles away they have managed to snatch 6 cakes in just one year of cake decorating, it sounds like to me that your family is more considerate to your expenses and your hard work than my family is! Your cakes are very nice, much better than mine, if you really want to make their cakes tell me you are not giving them a choice! If it was my kids I would give them no choice there is no way my kids little or big would ever pay for any cake but that's only for them!

Pappy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pappy Posted 30 Jun 2007 , 1:44am
post #7 of 10

I know how you feel. My family never came out and asked me to make cakes for occasions except my sister so one day I put out an email to all of them and said that I don't want to always ask if they want me to make a cake for a birthday, christening etc. so please feel free to ask if I really can't for one reason or another then I will let them know and that for some reason they wanted to buy a cake that I don't do they I won't feel offended. It seemed to work. I think they just always feel that they are putting you out.

DoniB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DoniB Posted 30 Jun 2007 , 1:46am
post #8 of 10

I had this problem, too, because my family thought they'd be taking advantage of me by getting a 'free' cake, instead of buying one from a 'pro'.

The way I got around it? Sent out e-mails to the family e-group, individually, etc, and let them know that I NEED to be making cakes, to build a portfolio for when I'm ready to start doing this as a business. Once they found out that I not only WANT to make the cakes, but I actively need all the 'business' I can get, they started calling and asking. I do ask them for expenses if it's not something I'm doing as a gift, but they're more than happy to provide that. icon_smile.gif I've got three lined up for August now!

Just let them know you're feeling a bit hurt, and remind them that you need the practice and the pictures for a portfolio or something, and they'll see that they're not inconveniencing you at all... that they're helping you out. icon_smile.gif

karensjustdessert Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karensjustdessert Posted 30 Jun 2007 , 1:46am
post #9 of 10

I think in the last two instances you mentioned, the people doing the cakes offered or have done cakes in the past as well. Believe it or not, there are lots of people who do cakes...why shouldn't they get to make cakes for their loved ones too?
The first instance, for your Dad, I'm scratching my head; I wouldn't fret though. It's not personal, I'm sure. You do lovely work and you'll have plenty of opportunity to do cakes for people who will appreciate them.

lynda-bob Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lynda-bob Posted 30 Jun 2007 , 1:48am
post #10 of 10

I went through something like this a few years back... I don't know what the deal was but when they made me order my sister's wedding cake from the grocery store (instead of making it) and the cake was banana yellow (the OUTSIDE of the banana icon_eek.gif ) all of that stopped. Who knows... If you really want to know, I'd do like the previous posters have suggested and ask. Go in with an open mind... They are your family; I'm sure they aren't doing it to hurt you. I looked at your pix as well. They are very nice and I commented on my fav thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%