Car Show Cake For Church...

Decorating By jjbrink Updated 1 Jul 2007 , 2:46am by sparkie248

jjbrink Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jjbrink Posted 29 Jun 2007 , 8:17pm
post #1 of 7

at our church we are going to be having a car show (motorcycles/trucks also) to raise money. the women are selling plates, brownies, etc... i am new to the church and when we had the meeting, they asked if someone could do some cakes. i immediatly raised my hand and volunteered. as i sat there it hit me, they probly want a pound cake or something they can cut into sections. i was more wanting to MAKE a cake to decorate. so i am going to make a pound cake for it. but i also would like to make a decorated cake. i figured since it was a car show, then i could somehow do a car cake. i looked on here for ideas, and found many great cars cakes. the only thing- most of them were sculpted. so that kinda scared me away.
can anyone help me come up with an idea i could make for the car show? it doesnt have to be a car, but i thought that would be cute.
i do have the 3d car pan. but all i seen i might could do with that was make a herby car...
i kinda wanted something that was not so kiddish
thanks for any ideas!
~jennifer

6 replies
hoped Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hoped Posted 29 Jun 2007 , 10:07pm
post #2 of 7

I have made a 3d car cake with and without the Wilton car pan. It was MUCH easier using the pan. Even if you want to change it (like cutting off the roof to make a convertable, etc.) it gives you the basic shape to work with.

There are lots of great ideas in the gallery as well!

jjbrink Posted 29 Jun 2007 , 10:16pm
post #3 of 7

guess i could "attempt" a sculpting....

Starkie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Starkie Posted 29 Jun 2007 , 10:23pm
post #4 of 7

jjbrink, don't be afraid of sculpting!!! What's the worst that could happen? Cake Balls!!!! (Which you could make to look like little tires with very little effort!)

Give it a shot. Remember, most of those ladies at the church wouldn't even begin to attempt making a car out of a cake, and you will probably impress them all with whatever you bring!

jjbrink Posted 30 Jun 2007 , 4:56pm
post #5 of 7

thanks starkie for the support thumbs_up.gif i am going to give it a shot!! i need to go read up on the smoothing of the bc icing using the new crisco. the past two cakes i have made really fustrated me b/c the icing would not smooth out icon_cry.gif
thanks again!

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 30 Jun 2007 , 9:50pm
post #6 of 7

You can do it. icon_biggrin.gif

Here's a great tutorial:

http://tinyurl.com/3c65oo
(From boonenati.)

HTH

sparkie248 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sparkie248 Posted 1 Jul 2007 , 2:46am
post #7 of 7

If you didn't want to go sculpted (you should try it for practice and it's a lot of fun!)...how about making a really colorfully stacked cake with a '50s theme to it? You could pipe or make records, jukeboxes, poodles skirts, milkshakes, cars...it could be really fun!

-erin

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%