Silicone Baking Mats...any Difference?

Decorating By MelissaLynn Updated 21 Aug 2006 , 10:55pm by justme

MelissaLynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MelissaLynn Posted 18 Aug 2006 , 8:36pm
post #1 of 6

I have recently bought a couple of the non stick silicone baking mats but am curious which brand is the best? Is there any difference between the Silpat and other brands? I forgot which brand I have, not a Silpat though, and am wondering if I should exchange the one I haven't opened yet for another brand. They didn't carry the Silpats but the ones I bought were around $30-$40 each. Any info would help. Thanks!

5 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 18 Aug 2006 , 9:10pm
post #2 of 6

As long as they are silicone, they should provide the same no-stick results. $30 seems high, unless they are larger.

No-stick liner made of teflon. it is flexible and soft like paper. Nothing sticks to this, either. I have had them a while. I with I had bought more. One of these days I will try to find more.

chloe1979 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chloe1979 Posted 18 Aug 2006 , 9:15pm
post #3 of 6

The wilton ones say you have to wash them before and after each use and also spray them with non-stick spray. I had gotten some at 50% off at Hobby Lobby this week and ended up returning them. I have been interested in getting a silpat or something of the like.

kjgjam22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjgjam22 Posted 19 Aug 2006 , 2:16am
post #4 of 6

that seems high. even the silpat isnt that expensive.

MelissaLynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MelissaLynn Posted 21 Aug 2006 , 9:42pm
post #5 of 6

The one I got was hugh! I think something like a full sheet. It works great for the fondant roll out. I had bought two that size, but am taking back the other large one to trade in for a couple of smaller ones. I think the brand was Doumat???

justme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justme Posted 21 Aug 2006 , 10:55pm
post #6 of 6

actually the silpats that i have seen run around $30-40 but i think they are pretty big. i think kitchen aid also makes a silicon mat... not sure though.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%