Question About Fondant

Decorating By Letmebeurdesignr Updated 27 Jun 2007 , 5:33pm by GenGen

Letmebeurdesignr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Letmebeurdesignr Posted 27 Jun 2007 , 4:46pm
post #1 of 10

I am going to be taking a class next month on fondant but want to try my hand at it before i actually take the class...My question is, I have heard that fondant tastes like playdough and nobody likes it..so if nobody likes it then what is done w/the fondant when it is ready to be cut and eaten?

Do you leave it on when you cut the cake and serve it and let the guest peel it off or do you take it all off and leave this ugly cake underneath? Do you throw the fondant away or what? Im lost on this and would like some input.

Thanks,

Jennifer

9 replies
miriel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miriel Posted 27 Jun 2007 , 4:54pm
post #2 of 10

I never thought of fondant tasting like playdough - the texture is like playdough, and it handles like playdough icon_smile.gif

I use store-bought fondant, SatinIce brand, and to me, it tastes like very chewy marshmallow. For chocolate fondant, I use Pettinice Noire which tastes like Tootsie rolls.

People who choose not to eat the fondant peel it off so when I make my cakes, I use a regular coating of BC underneath the fondant. Even when it is peeled off, people will still have icing with their cake.

On some Food Network shows, they have shown Disney crew to remove the fondant before serving the cake. I leave mine on and let the guests decide if they want it or not.

Letmebeurdesignr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Letmebeurdesignr Posted 27 Jun 2007 , 4:57pm
post #3 of 10

I have never seen store bought fondant..where do you get that? I havent really seen half the stuff that is talked about on this site and totally lost as to where to get alot of stuff

miriel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miriel Posted 27 Jun 2007 , 5:04pm
post #4 of 10

I get mine from a local cake decorating store. You can also get it online from many sites like Country Kitchens, Pfeil and Holing, Into the Oven, etc.
www.countrykitchens.com
www.cakedeco.com
www.intotheoven.com

Cakesbylori Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakesbylori Posted 27 Jun 2007 , 5:12pm
post #5 of 10

Try marshmellow fondant (MMF). It works just the same and tastes a lot better. It is basically just marshmellows and powdered sugar. It is also much more inexpensive. Try this website:

www.whatscookingamerica.net/PegW/Fondant.htm

Good luck and enjoy your class!

tobycat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tobycat Posted 27 Jun 2007 , 5:13pm
post #6 of 10

If you want to make some good tasting fondant, try Marshmallow Fondant (also called MMF). There's recipies here on the site, and it tastes great! Just like marshmallow, because that's all there is to it. (Of course, if you don't like marshmallow then you're out of luck), but it's a very nice fondant and easy to work with.

The Wilton home made fondant is more difficult to make, but tastes pretty good. The Wilton store bought fondant is the nastiest stuff of the planet! DO NOT GET THE WILTON PACKAGED FONDANT unless you want to use it to practice with.

PM me if you want -- I rememeber what it was like working my way through the fondant maze when I first started working with it!

icon_smile.gif S.

ericaann79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ericaann79 Posted 27 Jun 2007 , 5:15pm
post #7 of 10

For your first cake you can get the fondant at Michael's also. They sell the Wilton brand...it doesn't taste that great, but it handles really well. I am now venturing out into the marshmellow homemade fondant and I hope it works out just as good because the Wilton stuff is a little pricy.

GenGen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GenGen Posted 27 Jun 2007 , 5:23pm
post #8 of 10

the wilton stuff does taste like sweetened playdough lol. my first few ventures into fondant was saddly the wilton product. i had reada bout how to make it but it wasn't the mmf recipe; i hadn't even heard about that till i found CC- and i wasn't brave enough to try and make that fondant on my own... plus the use of the wilton was enough to turn me off fondant for years. thanks to finding CC i'm ready to try fondant again and find myself looking forward ; almost excited- about making it lol.

joaaaann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joaaaann Posted 27 Jun 2007 , 5:30pm
post #9 of 10

Personally, I have been mostly a buttercream user and enhance my BC to diff flavors and textures. I still prefer to use BC over fondant for the most part but recently I have began using fondant alot. MMF to be exact. It's all I've ever tried and that's because of the feedback here on CC. I love it and am becomming quite fond of it(no pun intended). The taste is light, and I use a reg layer of BC under it as well for those who prefer to 'peel away'. It is easy to work with also AS LONG AS IT IS WRAPPED IN SARAN at all times you are not using/kneading it. It will dry out quickly but can be brought back to life with crisco and a microwave usually icon_smile.gif

GenGen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GenGen Posted 27 Jun 2007 , 5:33pm
post #10 of 10

i've used mostly bc myself also. creamcheese when i can. many times i look at a cake done in fondant and try to see if i can mimic it almost in bc lol.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%