How Do You Get A Vendor To Recommend Your Business??

Business By PerryStCakes Updated 18 Aug 2006 , 3:45am by TPDC

PerryStCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PerryStCakes Posted 16 Aug 2006 , 2:42pm
post #1 of 7

I seem to deliver a lot of wedding cakes to this one event space who has a "preferred" vendors list. I am not on it.

I was thinking about asking them to put me on their list - is this how its done? Would they want a % of the business?

Does anyone have a situation like this?

6 replies
PerryStCakes Posted 16 Aug 2006 , 2:45pm
post #2 of 7

bump in the rump icon_smile.gif

karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 16 Aug 2006 , 2:46pm
post #3 of 7

I would just ask them what their requirements are. Could be they are getting a special price from these people, or maybe there is a fee to be added. Either way, it might help to be on there, since they would recommend you. But if you already deliver there a lot, maybe you don't need to be "preferred".

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 16 Aug 2006 , 2:55pm
post #4 of 7

Definitely ask what the requirements are. Some places charge you an "access fee" to be on their preferred list, plus they can require info on file, such as a food license copy and proof of liability insurance. Photographers are a great source! A bride usually books her church, her reception site and her photographer....in that order. If you can get in with the photographers, you have a good chance of getting some good referrals.

I usually try to talk to the photographer and ask them to get a good shot of the cake because I may want to buy a copy for my website. I take their card and tell them I will be contacting them. Some photographers have just given me the photo as long as I credit them with the work on my website. Their pics are WAY better than the ones I take!

Always always do the card exchange with the other vendors.

PerryStCakes Posted 16 Aug 2006 , 3:18pm
post #5 of 7

Those are great suggestions....thanks!

cupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcake Posted 17 Aug 2006 , 9:54am
post #6 of 7

I do cakes for several special events vendors. Two of the places require liability insurace . Two others tack on an additional 15% to the customer. I get my price from the vendor and they get theres from the customer. The vendor calls me for the order or if it is complicated they will have me contact the customer. I also have wedding coordinators that will call and describe the cake they want, I give them a price, they collect and then pay me according to my contractual agreements.

TPDC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TPDC Posted 18 Aug 2006 , 3:45am
post #7 of 7

So what words do you say to these different vendors, without sounding desperate?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%