What Is Everyone "doctoring" Boxed Cake Mixes With

Decorating By nmrunyon Updated 28 Jun 2007 , 8:23pm by ladybuglau

nmrunyon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nmrunyon Posted 27 Jun 2007 , 12:47am
post #1 of 24

I have been reading all the posts about doctoring up boxed cake mixes. What are you using to doctor them up with? Maybe my creative side is lacking, but I can't think of anything to add to make them taste better.

23 replies
pish Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pish Posted 27 Jun 2007 , 12:53am
post #2 of 24

There's a great set of cook books called "The Cake Mix Doctor". You can also do a search here and enter "cake mix enhancers" or the such and it should pull up some great recipes that start with cake mixes. Hope that helps!

LauraS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LauraS Posted 27 Jun 2007 , 12:54am
post #3 of 24

with yellow cake, I have added orange juice, pineapple juice , and polar springs orange water. I have also added nutmeg, Cinnamon, cloves to white cake mix. I make my own vanilla extract and I always use that in everything that I make sweet related. and I like coffee in my chocolate cake.

miriel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lsawyer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lsawyer Posted 27 Jun 2007 , 1:15am
post #5 of 24

LauraS......do you use vodka or rum or ......??? as your base for extracts? I've looked up recipes on the web, but I just don't know which one is better or why. Thanks for any help you can provide!!!

LauraS Posted 27 Jun 2007 , 1:28am
post #6 of 24

I buy grade b vanilla beans on line and a gallon jug of vodka, I take about a cup out, I split the bean and scape them putting the pulp in the bottle of vodka and then i put the beans in, around 1/4 pound to a 1/2 pound. I shake well, then i put in our liquor cabinet, i shake the bottle every other day or so, i am not perfect about it and after around eight weeks i have the best vanilla extract i have ever had. I know allot of websites add sugar and such, but what ever i am adding it to already has sugar, it really does not need it.
I made this last year, I got amber colored bottle off the Internet and made labels and gave it out for Christmas, and i have had calls asking for more. I think I am going to do it again this year.

kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 27 Jun 2007 , 1:41am
post #7 of 24

Laura, I'm intrigued now about your vanilla extract. I have found 3 different grade B beans: Bourbon, Madagascar and Tahitian, what do you use? I'm going to make some!
Thanks

LauraS Posted 27 Jun 2007 , 1:46am
post #8 of 24

ok, this is going to be horrible either Madagascar and Tahitian, what ever i can get a better price on, there is someone on ebay that i use, am I allowed to post there name here?

Daryn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Daryn Posted 27 Jun 2007 , 1:47am
post #9 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraS

I buy grade b vanilla beans on line and a gallon jug of vodka, I take about a cup out, I split the bean and scape them putting the pulp in the bottle of vodka and then i put the beans in, around 1/4 pound to a 1/2 pound. I shake well, then i put in our liquor cabinet, i shake the bottle every other day or so, i am not perfect about it and after around eight weeks i have the best vanilla extract i have ever had. I know allot of websites add sugar and such, but what ever i am adding it to already has sugar, it really does not need it.
I made this last year, I got amber colored bottle off the Internet and made labels and gave it out for Christmas, and i have had calls asking for more. I think I am going to do it again this year.

Whoa! I have always wanted to know that. That is an awesome idea! thumbs_up.gif

LauraS Posted 27 Jun 2007 , 1:54am
post #10 of 24

For a 16 oz bottle last weekend I paid 15.99, I used it all ( OK, I really really like vanilla extract ), OK, i ran out of my own, it is stilling being worked on. for a gallon it cost me roughly $26. huge huge difference and when i get around half way though the bottle i add more vodka ( I buy a better grade of vodka the second time around). i can add more vodka maybe twice before i have to by more beans.

ladybuglau Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladybuglau Posted 27 Jun 2007 , 2:01am
post #11 of 24

to doctor up my cakes, I 1st always use milk instead of the water and butter instead of the oil...BUT, I have gotten the best feedback when I use some flavored liquers in place of some of the liquid. Mostly I'll use things like creme de cacao, irish cream, amaretto or tia maria, but I'm sure there are lots of other things you can try. Some people on CC have mentioned using flavored coffee creamers, but they are so sweet that I think it'll make the cake too sweet if too much is added. I also like to make a glaze with the liquers to thinly ice the cake, it tastes sooooooooooooooo good! (just don't judge the taste by licking the spoon, cause it'll knock your socks off if it's straight up!)

LauraS Posted 27 Jun 2007 , 2:03am
post #12 of 24

lol, i have to try you icings, you just add the liquor to the powered sugar?

ladybuglau Posted 27 Jun 2007 , 2:12am
post #13 of 24

yup, just until it's liquid enough to drizzle over the cake (without soaking in) I never really measured. The last 2 times I made a cake like that, everyone had 2nds, and then 3rds!

rikley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rikley Posted 27 Jun 2007 , 2:45am
post #14 of 24

I use whipped salad dressing instead of oil and I mix them with the whippers instead of beaters=no one can tell the difference!! icon_biggrin.gif

lsawyer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lsawyer Posted 27 Jun 2007 , 4:05am
post #15 of 24

LaruaS.....thank you so much! I started my own batch about 7 weeks ago.....just a small jar of vodka with 1-1/2 Tahitian vanilla bean. I used potato grain vodka, as this seems to enhance flavors (per my DH, who likes a martini with his friend once a month or so). So far, I've only been able to find potato vodka at Trader Joe's. I was fortunate enough to go to Tahiti in April, so I brought some beans back with me. They are THE BEST!! Thanks for your help!

LauraS Posted 27 Jun 2007 , 11:27am
post #16 of 24

sounds good, I am not a huge vodka drinker, i have only every tried one potato vodka and that was vampire vodka, i know it is from England and is hard as heck to find. I would love to try the vanilla extract with that.

ladybuglau Posted 27 Jun 2007 , 8:02pm
post #17 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by rikley

I use whipped salad dressing instead of oil and I mix them with the whippers instead of beaters=no one can tell the difference!! icon_biggrin.gif

I don't understand!!!!! what kind of salad dressing and for what purpose? I'm confused! icon_eek.gif

brykhouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brykhouse Posted 28 Jun 2007 , 2:31pm
post #18 of 24

How much liquer do you use with the powdered sugar? Do you coat the entire cake and would any brand work of irish creme? I'm making a chocolate cake for a bridal shower. Does it just enhance the flavor of the chocolate and is it ok with butter cream? Thanks. My first bridal shower cake! I appreciate any ?'s you can answer!! icon_rolleyes.gif

ladybuglau Posted 28 Jun 2007 , 6:28pm
post #19 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by brykhouse

How much liquer do you use with the powdered sugar? Do you coat the entire cake and would any brand work of irish creme? I'm making a chocolate cake for a bridal shower. Does it just enhance the flavor of the chocolate and is it ok with butter cream? Thanks. My first bridal shower cake! I appreciate any ?'s you can answer!! icon_rolleyes.gif

I start with about a cup of powdered sugar and add the liquer a tablespoon at a time until it's able to run smoothly off a spoon. Any sweet liquer would work, and any brand. I never put buttercream ontop of the glaze, but maybe if you make it very thin, it'll soak into the cake and then you can use butter cream ontop. It makes the cake really moist and flavorful but it might be too sweet for some people. I'd try it out 1st to see how you like it, or maybe just put it between the layers and bttercream on the top/sides. Good luck!

fbgirl00 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fbgirl00 Posted 28 Jun 2007 , 6:43pm
post #20 of 24

I made a cake last weekend that my DH said was the best cake he had ever had. It was just a Pillsbury strawberry cake mix and I added one package of instant cheesecake pudding mix and an extra egg. It was very very yummy and so moist. I have also been experimenting with the liquid coffee creamers for extra flavor.

lillykaci1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lillykaci1 Posted 28 Jun 2007 , 6:43pm
post #21 of 24

Well I'm going to have to try some of this...Can't wait to get the vodca thing down. I go through lots of vannilla myself. And the liquer in the icing and cake?!?!?!?! wow can't wait

I "docter" my cake mixes (I only use DH) with one pack of dream whip, one pack cook and serve pudding, one cup water, 1/4 cup oil, and 4 large eggs. Not only does this make the cake taste great(people say best cake they ever had)!!!!

brykhouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brykhouse Posted 28 Jun 2007 , 6:44pm
post #22 of 24

what do you normally put on top? fondant or something else?? thanks!

Amy729 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amy729 Posted 28 Jun 2007 , 7:00pm
post #23 of 24

I love the making your own vanilla idea! I will have to try it!

ladybuglau Posted 28 Jun 2007 , 8:23pm
post #24 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by brykhouse

what do you normally put on top? fondant or something else?? thanks!

when I do a glaze, I just leave it as is-it looks kinda like a glazed donut- but that being said, it kinda sucks for my BF cause he LOVES the paula deen pound cake with amaretto glaze, but I don't make it that often cause I'm trying to teach myself new decorating techniqes a little at a time and I've never decorated a glazed cake icon_sad.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%