Vanilla

Decorating By rosita6882 Updated 30 Jun 2007 , 2:05am by alliebear

rosita6882 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rosita6882 Posted 26 Jun 2007 , 9:02pm
post #1 of 10

I wanted to find out if any of you have tried the vanilla from Mexico? I have found that it tastes better than the vanilla from here and it's sooo cheap. Does anyone know why that is?

9 replies
breelaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
breelaura Posted 26 Jun 2007 , 9:13pm
post #2 of 10

Exchange rate is probably the reason it's so much less expensive, but I have no idea why it's better.

Audraj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Audraj Posted 26 Jun 2007 , 9:19pm
post #3 of 10

I don't know why it tastes better - I just know it does. I absolutely love the stuff. I still have some from our trip last year, and plan to buy a lot more when we go back next year.

Tallmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tallmama Posted 26 Jun 2007 , 9:21pm
post #4 of 10

I have tried it, and I like it too. Although you need to be careful. Some of them claim that they are pure vanilla, but you have to read the fine print and make sure there isn't artificial vanilla added. Why it's less probably is due to the exchange rate, plus the labor is less there too so it cost less to produce.

smbegg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smbegg Posted 26 Jun 2007 , 9:26pm
post #5 of 10

I get all my vanilla, clear and reg, from Mexico (my sister and BI live there and my mom and dad bring me back a lieter when they visit.) It is WAY cheaper than here!

WHat I have been told is that there is actually liqure in the Mexican Vanilla that they are not allowed to use in US production. True, I am not sure. But it might be one of those things like how Coke tastes different in every country (it does, really!)

I love Mexican coke so much better!

Stephanie

miriel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miriel Posted 26 Jun 2007 , 9:32pm
post #6 of 10

I have tried the La Vencedora vanilla brand. It smells really good and comes in big bottles. Very cheap and the quality is good. I got a big bottle from an Ebay seller in Mexico.

I've read that there is an ingredient in mexican vanilla that is not allowed by the FDA but I thought if people in Mexico use it, it should be ok to use. icon_rolleyes.gif

breelaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
breelaura Posted 26 Jun 2007 , 9:38pm
post #7 of 10

There's ethanol in the US stuff, so a little liquor in the Mexican stuff is really no different imo.

Mexican coke is sweetened with sugar. The US bottling plants use corn syrup, which not only doesn't taste as yummy, but is actually worse for the body. Gotta love it!

rosita6882 Posted 30 Jun 2007 , 1:56am
post #8 of 10

Thanks to all of you who posted. I just bought 4 1 litter bottels at $4.00 a bottle. I thought i'd stock up before january. Starting January you have to have a passport to cross the border and i don't plan on getting one yet since their $150.00. I live 30 min from the border but i go only once or twice a year.

rosita6882 Posted 30 Jun 2007 , 1:56am
post #9 of 10

Thanks to all of you who posted. I just bought 4 1 litter bottels at $4.00 a bottle. I thought i'd stock up before january. Starting January you have to have a passport to cross the border and i don't plan on getting one yet since their $150.00. I live 30 min from the border but i go only once or twice a year.

alliebear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alliebear Posted 30 Jun 2007 , 2:05am
post #10 of 10

good to know a friend recently visted jamaica and bought some vamilla says its the best never tries it tho... my mom bought me some really expensive organic something or other vamilla... about 20$ for a tiny little thing but wow!!!!! what a diffrence good vanilla makes... only use this stuff on family and freinds.. i have also managed to get my hands on vanilla beans...bit expensive but very tasty in cakes... if u don't mind the black flecks... which i didn't icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%