Scrollwork Cake Stand

Decorating By reiscakes Updated 14 Jun 2005 , 9:56pm by MrsMissey

reiscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
reiscakes Posted 14 Jun 2005 , 6:58pm
post #1 of 4

This may seem like a silly question but I really don't know what to do. I am making my first wedding cake for this weekend. It's three tiers (16", 12" and 8"). I purchase the 17" scrollwork cake stand from Wilton. My questions are...

A: Will that cake stand hold the weight of all three cakes?

B: Do I place the 16" cake directly onto the crystal look seperator plate or do I put a cardboard cake board between them?

Thanks a lot! I know you guys are awesome at answering questions quickly! icon_biggrin.gif

3 replies
MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 14 Jun 2005 , 7:22pm
post #2 of 4

Size wise..you're cutting it close! If you have a 16" base cake and put icing on it, with any kind of border, you are likely to end up with at least a 17" base cake. The stand you use should be at least 2" bigger than the finished cake..hope I explained that ok! Weight wise, I'm not sure, were there any instructions enclosed that stated the amount of weight or how many cakes it would hold? On the last issue..I always use a cake board in under the cake, it helps to keeps the crystal plate from getting scratched. Hope this helps!

BTW...there is no such thing as a silly question!!! icon_biggrin.gif

reiscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
reiscakes Posted 14 Jun 2005 , 7:48pm
post #3 of 4

Thanks MrsMissey! I ended up calling Wilton and I was told that the scrollwork cake stand can hold from 60-80lbs (it doesn't say that anywhere with the product). She also told me to use a cake boared because someone cutting the cake could shatter the crystal.

I am cutting it close with the cake size but I'm not too worried. I just placed the crystal plate over the cake to see how much leeway I have and it'll be just good enough. I'm only doing shells along the border.

I just measured the cake circle with the cake and the cake circle is bigger...odd...they both should be 16"...

One more question!

What should I cover the cake circles with? Wax paper? Foil?

MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 14 Jun 2005 , 9:56pm
post #4 of 4

Smart move by calling Wilton!! Typically a cake baked in a 16" pan is not really a 16" cake, it is the measurement of the pan..the cake is always slightly smaller.

I don't usually cover my boards on a cake like that, since they are hidden under the cake. I just use the grease proof cake board..that way they don't absord the grease and turn an ugly color. the only time I cover my board is if the edges are exposed (like an 8" cake on a 10" board) and I want to dress it up a bit. It's more of a personal choice if you cover your board. Everybody has a different opinion on that issue!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%