How Many Cakes Can You Bake In The Oven At One Time

Decorating By jlllyn Updated 15 Aug 2006 , 3:22pm by sdfisher

jlllyn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlllyn Posted 15 Aug 2006 , 10:01am
post #1 of 16

Just wondering how do you bake so many cakes at once? do you all have very big ovens? what's the secret.

My oven can only fit one 10" cake tin.

icon_smile.gif

15 replies
MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 15 Aug 2006 , 10:11am
post #2 of 16

I wish! No, like you, I usually have to do one at a time. The most I can fit on one shelf is 2 x 6 or 7 ins or a 14in pan (16in at a push, but I can barely close the door!). I've tried cooking on two shelves and swapping the pans over at half-time, but I usually end up with cakes that are done at different times and rise differently, so I'll only do that if I'm in a rush!

Momof4luvscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momof4luvscakes Posted 15 Aug 2006 , 10:40am
post #3 of 16

I can get 2-6inch and 1-10 inch in at the same time, but larger have to go in 1 at a time.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 15 Aug 2006 , 10:59am
post #4 of 16

I can BARELY squeeze in 2-10" squares as a maximum. I only use one rack.

thecakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakemaker Posted 15 Aug 2006 , 11:14am
post #5 of 16

I only use one rack also. 10" or larger - only one at a time.

We're looking at redoing our kitchen. Does anyone have any experience with a freestanding stove/oven that has two ovens in it? We're also looking at the duel fuel oven. Gas cooktop and electric ovens.

Debbie

butternut Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butternut Posted 15 Aug 2006 , 11:16am
post #6 of 16

Do any of you use a convection oven? If so, do you use more than one rack to bake cakes? I've heard that you can use all the racks and the cakes should all come out the same with the convection.

brookej01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brookej01 Posted 15 Aug 2006 , 12:04pm
post #7 of 16

i can fit 2 10" pans in I've done 2 9x13 at the same time, but baking time was different I usually just do one at a time

Katie-Bug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katie-Bug Posted 15 Aug 2006 , 12:13pm
post #8 of 16

I bake in all of my racks, one oven had two, and the other has three. I don' t worry about one taking longer then the other. I just fill my oven, leaving room around each pan for the air to get through. I usually try to fill it to where those that cook quicker will be up front. I've never had any problems with things not baking or anything.

kay52178 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kay52178 Posted 15 Aug 2006 , 12:14pm
post #9 of 16

the cake maker -- I have the Maytag Gemini stove and love it. It has two ovens in it and is freestanding. It comes in both gas and electric. The top oven is a bit smaller but I find myself using that one the most! I usually do my cakes in the bottom oven but have done cakes in the top.

http://www.maytag.com/mths/products/apl_family.jsp?domain=Ranges&family=Gemini+Ranges&cs=0&BV_UseBVCookie=Yes

thecakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakemaker Posted 15 Aug 2006 , 12:23pm
post #10 of 16

Awsome kay52178! Thanks! I'll be checking that one out. We're not sure if we're going to go with a freestanding or a wall type but the freestanding is less expensive!

Debbie

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 15 Aug 2006 , 12:59pm
post #11 of 16

I have convection and i bake on all three shelves, of course the smaller cakes i keep to the front of the oven. I can squeeze a whole wedding cake in at once if i need to , i just keep the smaller pans to the front.

butternut Posted 15 Aug 2006 , 1:15pm
post #12 of 16

hey there peg818. Wow, so you are able to use all your racks in the convection oven. That's great to hear. We just purchased a convection and it's going to be installed next week. I was told that you can bake on each rack and cakes on each rack should bake evenly and at the same time as long as they are the same size. Otherwise, move the smaller ones up front, just like you suggested. It's great to hear from someone who actually uses all the racks. Thank ya much. Boy, it's going to be great to bake a couple of cakes at one time. icon_smile.gif

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 15 Aug 2006 , 1:26pm
post #13 of 16

Well, one draw back to the convection oven, I had to go out and buy more pans so i could fill her up icon_smile.gif

butternut Posted 15 Aug 2006 , 1:33pm
post #14 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by peg818

Well, one draw back to the convection oven, I had to go out and buy more pans so i could fill her up icon_smile.gif

Awesome thumbs_up.gif

rachmakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rachmakescakes Posted 15 Aug 2006 , 3:11pm
post #15 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by kay52178

the cake maker -- I have the Maytag Gemini stove and love it. It has two ovens in it and is freestanding. It comes in both gas and electric. The top oven is a bit smaller but I find myself using that one the most! I usually do my cakes in the bottom oven but have done cakes in the top.

http://www.maytag.com/mths/products/apl_family.jsp?domain=Ranges&family=Gemini+Ranges&cs=0&BV_UseBVCookie=Yes

I'm pretty sure that's the same oven I have and I really like it. When I'm doing a tiered cake, I put the smaller cakes in the top oven and the larger cakes in the bottom. Works like a charm!

sdfisher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sdfisher Posted 15 Aug 2006 , 3:22pm
post #16 of 16

I have a convection oven....I love that thing. It's one for home use...has a stove top with burners but I fill that baby up when I am baking cakes....I can do 2 12x18's or 4 9x13's .....10 8"rounds....it's awesome. I had to look around to find one that would take a 16" diameter pan....the fan in the back stuck out too far in some...I took my pan with me to the store. It's gotta be the best investment that I have made since I started doing cakes. My oven, my turntable and my mixer.......couldn't get along with out them now that I have them...lol.

Shirley

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%