Cancer

Lounge By friendly Updated 1 Jul 2007 , 12:39am by dldbrou

friendly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
friendly Posted 26 Jun 2007 , 12:07pm
post #1 of 12

My husband has a rare cancer their is no cure. I am finding it very hard to cope with his moods. Is their anyone else going through this kind of problem.

11 replies
lynda-bob Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lynda-bob Posted 26 Jun 2007 , 12:18pm
post #2 of 12

Not rare, but my mom had cervical cancer a while back. There was nothing to do but be there for her and put up with the mood. She was very down (understandably) but we had to just be there and be patient. I wish I had more to say; I'm sorry... I hope you all will be ok, somehow. God bless you both.

Lynda

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 26 Jun 2007 , 12:20pm
post #3 of 12

I'm so sorry that you have to go through this. There really isn't much you can do except be there for him and love him.

My heart goes out to you.

Eliza Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eliza Posted 26 Jun 2007 , 12:49pm
post #4 of 12

So sorry to hear about your husband. Hang in there, it is hard I know. I agree with peg818, be there for him and love him.

Will keep you in my thoughts.

cathyfowler662 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathyfowler662 Posted 26 Jun 2007 , 2:07pm
post #5 of 12

Hi, sorry for what you are going through. Cancer is a very scary, disheartning disease. It effects the whole family.

I am a cancer survivor. I was given a 20% chance of survival. That was six years ago. I was 38 and found a lump. I was told I was too young and that it would go away. It got worse. My kids were 7 and 9. My mood swings were worse than PMS!! (or being a Gemini) My family put up with it, they got used to it and after two months I started putting my life in order. It's the scariest thing that you'll ever have to live with, but you can and will get through it. He has to come to the conclusion that he has to fight for this for himself and then his family. He will get there.

My sisters MIL had brain and lung cancer (at the same time). No cure. Hard to fight both at the same time. Like everyone else she was down and moody. When she came out of the other side of that, she fought very hard to stay alive and see her granddaughters grow up. She survived for nine years with it. Fight one, the other gets worse and visa versa. I'm sorry to say that she didn't survive.

I'm sorry if I sound like I have no heart, but when I was going through this I hated it when people sugar coated things. I wanted to know what was going on with me. I took my sister to every doctor appt with me (she drove 3 hours - one-way - to be there with me) and then she went to her FIL and asked questions about what the doctor said (he was a doctor). He needs his family around good mood or bad and just go live life and have fun! Like I said, I'm sorry about what you are going through. Hopefully there will be a cure for all types of cancer in our life time.

Oh, I liked being bald a lot! I was kind of disappointed when the hair started growing back. I didn't want to shave cause then you can see stubble. My DS#1 used to sit on my bed when I couldn't get up and just put his hand on my head. He sat there for hours "keeping my head warm". That is one thing that I'll never forget. I still have the pictures on the wall that my kids made me when I was sick. My DS#2 made a picture of me and this big clump of hair detatched from my head my saying "AWWWWW!" I'll take those pictures down. It's the little things that will get you two through this. Just be there for him and love him no matter what his mood.

You and your husband will be in my prayers.

Cathy

kjt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjt Posted 26 Jun 2007 , 2:08pm
post #6 of 12

will keep you in my thoughts/prayers...have you done a search for a group online? sorry this is happening to your family icon_sad.gif

Katie-Bug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katie-Bug Posted 26 Jun 2007 , 5:51pm
post #7 of 12

Cancer is such a near and dear subject for me.
The majority of my family has faced cancer. I have losted several great aunts and uncles, and cousins to cancer. My grandmother has had breast cancer twice, her husband has had prostate?sp? cancer, my other grandmother has skin cancer, and I just lost my other grandfarther to cancer. That is just my imediate family.
It is such a hard thing to go through. I wish I had something I could say to comfort you, but I don't. Your family will be in my thoughts and prayers. May God Bless, Katie

Marksgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marksgirl Posted 27 Jun 2007 , 11:57pm
post #8 of 12

When I was 11 years old (OK I will be 49 in Aug icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif ) I lost my left leg to bone cancer. When I went into the operation the Doctor's gave me a 25% chance of living. When I came out the Doctor's gave me a 5%.

So never give up hope. Hold God near and dear to your heart. He does the same for you.

angel56 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angel56 Posted 28 Jun 2007 , 12:52am
post #9 of 12

I am so sorry for you and your husband's pain. I am in remission and had lymphoma. When the doctor discovered it, the cancer had spread throughout my body. I read alot about my illness and changed my diet. I starting juicing. I got all my vitimins this way. The chemo eats everything up. In my mind, I felt that through juicing, that I would make the good cell stronger in my body. I also prayed alot. I tried balancing mind, body and spirit. I cannot say it was easy but it seem to have work especially the diet change. You will be in my prayers.

idoweddingcookies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idoweddingcookies Posted 28 Jun 2007 , 1:57am
post #10 of 12

First of all my prayers are with you and your family. I will pray for you.

My father and brother passed away from cancer. My father had terrible mood swings.... though this is a man who was the best father, quiet, calm, never yelled - just an all around happy person. He was diagnosed in 1986 and was told he had 6 months to live.. so everyday to us was special. We expected the worse.. he lived until 1992. So needless to say after awhile we all went about our lives as normal. But when it was obvious that it really was getting worse, I visited him everyday after work, but at times he started yelling at me and my mom, and told us we didn't understand, and that it hurt and he was scared.

One day I told my mom to go out, as she hadn't had a break, and I had a long talk with my dad.. He was scared, he was worried about my Mom being left alone, about what she would do, they didn't have very much money and he was just really worried about her. I told him that I would make sure she was okay (I had 3 other siblings, but he didn't think they would take care of her like I would)
After that he seemed much better, so maybe he is just really worried about you if something happens to him.
In the end my dad went into the hospital, and my mom stayed overnight with him everynight, he was there for 6 days before he passed. On the fifth night, he got me to order a flower bouquet and a balloon for my mom and he gave me the money.. We ordered it and I went home. I got a call the next morning to get to the hospital he had slipped into a coma that night and we all got to say goodbye and told him it was okay to go.. that we loved him very much.
To put a nice touch on a sad story, my mom brought home the bouquet that came after he died and the balloon. We put it in the livingroom, I stayed there with her, that next morning the "I love you" balloon had gone through the livingroom, down the hall turned the corner and went into my mom's bedroom... We put that balloon back in the livingroom the next three nights, and each morning that balloon was back in her bedroom.
I told her Dad's just telling you that he loves you no matter where he is, she said I believe your right, I think I will be okay. After she said that out loud the balloon stayed in the livingroom - but stayed inflated for the next 30 days. (and you know those things last at the most 7 days if you're lucky) I miss my dad very much, but know that he is no longer in pain, and that I carry him in my heart always.

So no matter what your husband's mood is, he is most likely scared and very worried. ( I don't know how old he is, my dad was 64). Love him, be there for him, talk to him, and give him his time to think when he wants to be alone.
God bless you and your family.
Kim

Dordee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dordee Posted 29 Jun 2007 , 4:36am
post #11 of 12

friendly, I am so sorry for what you and your husband are going through. Fortunately I have only had to deal with one person in my family having cancer and that was my grandfather. I don't remember him having bad mood swings (I was only 12 or 13) although i'm sure he did.
Your family will be in my prayers.

dldbrou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dldbrou Posted 1 Jul 2007 , 12:39am
post #12 of 12

friendly, you have my admiration and hopes that you have the strength to go through this. Where I live we have an organization called Hospice. This wonderful group of people are nurses, doctors and friends that come to your house and help you with the everyday living of a cancer patient. They are mostly there for the patient, to ease their pain, but they are also there to help the family go through the rought times ahead. If there is not an organization like this where you live, maybe there is a support group at the hospital that you are dealing with that you can talk to and get some help. His moods might be from medicine, or he is trying to prove that he is still in charge of everything since he can't control his sickness, or he is scared and doesn't want to show it. Whatever his reason is for his moods, just try to hold on to all the good times and that this is not his normal self. Put yourself in his place, what would you do? Everyone faces death differently or thinks they will, so hold on to all the good things and let the negative feelings go. Here is a big hug {{{{{{{{{HUG}}}}}}}}}

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%