Folds In Fondant! Help!!!

Decorating By m_ree Updated 25 Jun 2007 , 6:04pm by m_ree

m_ree Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m_ree Posted 25 Jun 2007 , 5:12pm
post #1 of 9

after my 2nd attempt at covering a round cake with fondant, i am still getting folds at the bottom of my cake! how do i avoid these folds???

8 replies
Jenteach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenteach Posted 25 Jun 2007 , 5:14pm
post #2 of 9

As you are smoothing the fondant on the sides, pull out a bit at the bottom over the edge of the cake board...

HTH

Jen

m_ree Posted 25 Jun 2007 , 5:21pm
post #3 of 9

i've tried that.. pulling more fondant over the edge of the cake board... but there always seems to be too much fondant to go around the cake and then i still get folds icon_sad.gif

jmt1714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmt1714 Posted 25 Jun 2007 , 5:23pm
post #4 of 9

smooth DOWN from the top, not side to side when getting the folds out.

tiptop57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiptop57 Posted 25 Jun 2007 , 5:36pm
post #5 of 9

Tiptop's top tip icon_wink.gif

Think - - - fluff out like the hem of a wedding dress! Poof!

Then lift (but not too high), smooth from the top and fluff out the bottom. Lift then smooth the sides, and fluff out the bottom - - - lift, smooth, fluff - - - lift, smooth, fluff - - - lift, smooth, fluff - - - lift, smooth, fluff - - - work out those folds - - - lift smooth fluff.

When you get really close to the bottom, use a pizza cutter wheel and cut some excess and continue, lift smooth fluff till the bottom is smooth and you can cut the rest of the excess icon_wink.gif

HTH

m_ree Posted 25 Jun 2007 , 5:36pm
post #6 of 9

hmmm i see. so if i smooth out from the top, when i go around the cake & start pressing the fondant against the cake/icing, there won't be folds at the bottom?

infields Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
infields Posted 25 Jun 2007 , 5:37pm
post #7 of 9

You might be rolling your fondant too thin. It should be between 1/8 to 1/4 in thick. Also, try putting your cake on a board the same size as your cake and then raising it up on a can or a bowl so that the fondant folds fall below the cake, then you can just trim them off.
HTH
Renae

Babarooskie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Babarooskie Posted 25 Jun 2007 , 5:42pm
post #8 of 9

It could be maybe you're using an insuffiecient amount of fondant.

The same thing happened to me and when I started rolling extra fondant, it comes out perfect now.
Just make sure you roll out an extra 3-4 inches from the original size of the pan for the sides of the cake.

HTH

m_ree Posted 25 Jun 2007 , 6:04pm
post #9 of 9

i'll try these techniques next time! thanks guys! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%