Wedding Cake Servings - Rule Of Thumb?

Decorating By cambo Updated 27 Jun 2007 , 3:19pm by cambo

cambo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cambo Posted 25 Jun 2007 , 3:55pm
post #1 of 13

I know there's a "rule of thumb" or percentage to figure how many wedding cake servings to order.....say if Bride invited 250 people, how many servings should she order in cake?

12 replies
kisha311 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kisha311 Posted 25 Jun 2007 , 4:04pm
post #2 of 13

Indyebi has the best response for this. Her rule of thumb is 60% if I remember correctly. I hope she corrects me if I am wrong, especially with her screen name! Sorry! icon_redface.gif

cambo Posted 25 Jun 2007 , 4:07pm
post #3 of 13

Yes, I thought indydebi had a 60% rule....sounds right! Thanks!

beemarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beemarie Posted 27 Jun 2007 , 12:19am
post #4 of 13

Why would it be just 60%? Is it that not everybody eats cake?

Also, can somebody post the link for how big a cake needs to be for so many servings for a wedding cake (I am making a cake for 200 people, so I need to know how big the cake needs to be, if that helps). I can't seem to find it. Thanks!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 27 Jun 2007 , 12:50am
post #5 of 13

you guys are correct .... 60% Rule.

Here's how I came up with that number. Way back in the day, when I first started and did cakes only, I would stay and cut the cake. I began noticing how many plates I used at a reception and soon began noticing the ratio. After a few months, I noticed, for example, that I never cut more than 125 pcs for a cake that had been ordered for 200. I began really watching and it seemed to be the rule each and every time. That's how I developed my 60% Rule.

Take the total number of people invited (not the number EXPECTED, but total INVITED) times 60%. 3 exceptions: (1) if bride/groom is active military (2) if bride/groom is very active in their church (3) if bride/groom is African-American. Then I suggest that the couple use a 70 or 75% ratio. the one thing I cannot factor is how their family reacts to weddings. I also ask if there are any special events around the wedding (i.e. Had one wedding that took place on family reunion weekend. Everyone flew in a day early for the Friday wedding. She ordered cake for 150 and we served 165. Didn't run out of cake, either!)

So when you ask Why would it be just 60%? Is it that not everybody eats cake?, it's not 60% of those in attendance .... it's 60% of the total number invited. I don't know of anyone who has a 100% show-rate at their wedding.

This information becomes a great sales tool for me because I can help brides stay in budget. When they are not spending money on people who wont' be there anyway, then they find they CAN afford that chocolate fountain or that other extra they thought they couldn't afford. (And then they think I"m great! icon_biggrin.gif )

By the way, I came up with the exceptions the hard way!

I use the Wlton chart for approx servings for a cake: http://www.wilton.com/wedding/cakeinfo/cakedata.cfm

Here's also a pictorial from my website on I cut my wedding cakes. Feelo free to share it with your brides. http://cateritsimple.com/_wsn/page19.html

beemarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beemarie Posted 27 Jun 2007 , 5:53am
post #6 of 13

Thank you so much, indydebi! That was some great information, and I will save it for future use. I also appreciated the link on how to cut a wedding cake. That looks much cleaner. I used to do catering and nobody ever wanted to cut the cake because of the mess. Your way would be much easier, it seems. Thank you again!

cambo Posted 27 Jun 2007 , 11:28am
post #7 of 13

YEAH! You came to my rescue again! I'm so glad you posted your ratio and how you arrived at it! Thank you so much, I'll be using this for future wedding cake orders!

rhopar33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rhopar33 Posted 27 Jun 2007 , 11:41am
post #8 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

you guys are correct .... 60% Rule.

Here's how I came up with that number. Way back in the day, when I first started and did cakes only, I would stay and cut the cake. I began noticing how many plates I used at a reception and soon began noticing the ratio. After a few months, I noticed, for example, that I never cut more than 125 pcs for a cake that had been ordered for 200. I began really watching and it seemed to be the rule each and every time. That's how I developed my 60% Rule.

Take the total number of people invited (not the number EXPECTED, but total INVITED) times 60%. 3 exceptions: (1) if bride/groom is active military (2) if bride/groom is very active in their church (3) if bride/groom is African-American. Then I suggest that the couple use a 70 or 75% ratio. the one thing I cannot factor is how their family reacts to weddings. I also ask if there are any special events around the wedding (i.e. Had one wedding that took place on family reunion weekend. Everyone flew in a day early for the Friday wedding. She ordered cake for 150 and we served 165. Didn't run out of cake, either!)

So when you ask Why would it be just 60%? Is it that not everybody eats cake?, it's not 60% of those in attendance .... it's 60% of the total number invited. I don't know of anyone who has a 100% show-rate at their wedding.

This information becomes a great sales tool for me because I can help brides stay in budget. When they are not spending money on people who wont' be there anyway, then they find they CAN afford that chocolate fountain or that other extra they thought they couldn't afford. (And then they think I"m great! icon_biggrin.gif )

By the way, I came up with the exceptions the hard way!

I use the Wlton chart for approx servings for a cake: http://www.wilton.com/wedding/cakeinfo/cakedata.cfm

Here's also a pictorial from my website on I cut my wedding cakes. Feelo free to share it with your brides. http://cateritsimple.com/_wsn/page19.html

Indydebi,

Regarding your exceptions, why are African American brides an exception? Just curious.

Rhonda

BigFatMamaKat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BigFatMamaKat Posted 27 Jun 2007 , 11:46am
post #9 of 13

Is there any rule about how many the groom's cake should serve? I've heard that it is based on a percentage of how many the wedding cake will serve, but I can't find what the percentage is.

indydebi Posted 27 Jun 2007 , 12:14pm
post #10 of 13

I have no idea why African-American weddings have a greater show rate. I only know that's what the numbers show me.

I can only guess because the African American community is very family oriented and those who have a tight-knit family also tend to be very involved in their church. When I suggested this to one African-American bride, she laughed and said, "Nah .... we just like free food!" I told her that couldn't be the reason because so do a lot of white folks at weddings! icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif

rhopar33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rhopar33 Posted 27 Jun 2007 , 12:24pm
post #11 of 13

Thanks, I was just wondering why it was an exception and your reply makes perfect sense. I am definitely going to start using the 60% rule during my consultations.

Thanks!~

indydebi Posted 27 Jun 2007 , 12:45pm
post #12 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatMamaKat

Is there any rule about how many the groom's cake should serve? I've heard that it is based on a percentage of how many the wedding cake will serve, but I can't find what the percentage is.

I think this depends on what the bride is wanting. I've done groom's cakes that were pretty much just a display cake (6" square decorated like dice for a gambling groom!). It wasn't cut for the guests, but went home with the couple. Most of my groom's cakes are just 15-25 servings .... a side cake. These cakes have been ordered in addition to the bride's cake (meaning if 100 guests were expected, they ordered wedding cake for 100 plus threw in a groom's cake for 25.)

I've seen other posts in which some places require the groom's cake to be at least the same size as the bride's cake.

Depends on the bride .... depends on the facility/baker.

cambo Posted 27 Jun 2007 , 3:19pm
post #13 of 13

At my wedding I had my wedding cake and a grooms cake....about 250 servings and the grooms cake was included in that total....so both cakes were cut/served and fed 250!

I'm making two wedding cakes with grooms cakes for upcoming events and both brides are cutting/serving the grooms cake, so we're including the grooms cake size in their total number of servings needed! They'll probably be 8-10" squares (the 10" for a larger wedding)!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%