Any Recomendations For A Good Spatula...

Decorating By kjgjam22 Updated 17 Aug 2006 , 7:04pm by leta

kjgjam22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjgjam22 Posted 13 Aug 2006 , 3:29am
post #1 of 23

that will stay on the handle. i have some rubbermaid ones...they are good but eventually they loosen from the handle. i normally glue them back on with some non toxic wood glue but its only temporary. help....

22 replies
LittleLinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleLinda Posted 13 Aug 2006 , 3:36am
post #2 of 23

Most of my spatulas are no-name inexpensive ones. Some have a stiffer tip which I like for frosting. Some have a more flexible tip which I like for batter. I like the skinny ones for mixing colors. My Rubbermaid spatulas have stronger handles, so I like them best ... but they are not wooden, they are plastic. I have had very few tips falling off the handles. I live in the USA. There are lots of choices here.

dianagreen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dianagreen Posted 13 Aug 2006 , 3:42am
post #3 of 23

i have some that are from hamilton beech - they are really nice - and they have no glue any have stayed together perfectly for me

kjgjam22 Posted 13 Aug 2006 , 3:52am
post #4 of 23

i just found these on country kitchen....does anyone use these???

http://www.countrykitchensa.com/catalog/product.aspx?T=4&productId=629280

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 14 Aug 2006 , 1:13pm
post #5 of 23

I use the white silicone scoop spatulas from Papmpered chef,I have about 5 of them.The medium one is perfect for mixing and then scooping.The large one I find too big.I bought them from ebay after I got one at a Pampered chef party here and just fell in love with it.

Eren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eren Posted 14 Aug 2006 , 1:19pm
post #6 of 23

I just got one last week at Bed Bath and Beyond. It's a Pyrex brand one, made with silicone. Very sturdy.
The store brand ones didn't look strong enough.

pilesoflaundry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pilesoflaundry Posted 14 Aug 2006 , 6:18pm
post #7 of 23

I have a le creuset one with a wooden handle and it never falls off the handle, it's actually hard to pull the handle out so it doesn't get wet. Half the time I wash it with the handle in eventhough you shouldn't.

I have a plastic handle no name (bought it at the grocery store) silicone head spatula and that one doesn't fall apart either. I also have a hoffritz one that has a plastic and stainless handle, had that one for years though so not sure that brand is still around.

The only ones I've had problems with are the dollar store ones, the heads split in hot water sometimes.

mhill91801 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mhill91801 Posted 14 Aug 2006 , 6:27pm
post #8 of 23

I second the pampered chef ones! Love them! They can be used for cooking, up to like 625 degress or something like that. they also don't stain. I wil lnever go without these!! thumbs_up.gif

yellobutterfly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yellobutterfly Posted 14 Aug 2006 , 6:34pm
post #9 of 23

I'm cheap and I usually buy cheap ones but then they end up breaking. Lately I've fallen in love with the new wal-mart brand ones. Mine have a clear plastic/silicone handle and red or orange spatula tip, they're like $1.97 or something and are strong and I love em!

kjgjam22 Posted 14 Aug 2006 , 8:31pm
post #10 of 23

thanks guys for your help...on my next shooping venture i will see which one to get and then post on how its been.

klg1152 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
klg1152 Posted 14 Aug 2006 , 8:38pm
post #11 of 23

I got one from Tupperware years ago and love it.

mkerton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkerton Posted 14 Aug 2006 , 8:39pm
post #12 of 23

Pampered chef is the only way to go on those (IMHO) I have had many of mine for 4 or 5 years and they still look brand new after many many uses!

kjgjam22 Posted 14 Aug 2006 , 8:41pm
post #13 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxdesserts

I got one from Tupperware years ago and love it.

i have one from tupperware my cousin gave me...i dont use it...its too stiff to me..dont like it at all.

mimi4gsus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mimi4gsus Posted 14 Aug 2006 , 8:48pm
post #14 of 23

Pampered Chef spatulas are the only way to go... You will spend lots more money trying to find a good on than you would ever spend on a pampered chef one. !!!!!!!!!! I have the biggest one they make and I love it.

MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 14 Aug 2006 , 8:48pm
post #15 of 23

Pampered Chef has my vote too! I bought some Tupperware ones recently (they are the ones with the black handles and red rubber) but don't care for them at all!

kstgelais4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kstgelais4 Posted 15 Aug 2006 , 3:44am
post #16 of 23

Either the Tupperware one (red one!) or the pampered chef. Both garaunteed, and they both stay together. Also heat resistant up to 450. I like the Tupperware one better (not too stiff to me) I think that it is better qaulity, but the PC is awesome too.
Kelly

peajay66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peajay66 Posted 15 Aug 2006 , 4:00am
post #17 of 23

The Pampered Chef ones USED to be my faves....that is until I recently bought one of the new Wilton Comfort Grip Spatula's. Their curved shape is PERFECT for getting every little bit of icing from my Kitchen Aid bowls!

Here are the highlights according to the product card:
-Comfortable nylon contoured handle
-Flexible silicone head
-Dishwasher Safe
-Round-edge silicone blade scrapes bowls clean
-Flat edge spreads icing evenly
-Square corner ideal for scraping icing from tub containers
-Ergonomic handle

Katskakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katskakes Posted 16 Aug 2006 , 7:16pm
post #18 of 23

I usually buy the ones from the dollar store. I recently found a nice thick one w/a long handle. I bought 2, one for grease one for non-grease. for me it works better than any other i've had.

qtdbklyn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
qtdbklyn Posted 16 Aug 2006 , 7:32pm
post #19 of 23

My vote is for Pampered Chef as well. They are great for everything! Especially when you are cooking, no worries about leaving them lying in the hot pan!

leta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leta Posted 16 Aug 2006 , 9:23pm
post #20 of 23

Pampered Chef for sure. But don't put them in the microwave!!!!!
(Don't ask...)

qtdbklyn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
qtdbklyn Posted 17 Aug 2006 , 12:41pm
post #21 of 23

I cant help but ask...What happens??! I put them in the dishwasher and its never a problem, laying in a hot pan and nothing happens...I cant imagine what a microwave would do ?!

kjgjam22 Posted 17 Aug 2006 , 4:27pm
post #22 of 23

i would suspect that the microwave burned up her spatula. i know it burned up one of my rubber dishes....i was defroating left over graham cracker crust...the sugar got way HOT and melted the container. live and learn.

leta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leta Posted 17 Aug 2006 , 7:04pm
post #23 of 23

ding ding! That's correct.
Actually, The first time I noticed it I thought something happened in the dishwasher, the end of the handle was melted.

Then later I figured it out. I use the skinny scraper when I'm melting choc in the micro. Instead of laying the spatula on the counter or a spoon rest, I just left it in the bowl because it's just rubber and plastic.

Anyway, the end of the handle was hear the corner of the microwave--I guess that's where the microwaves come from--they have to come from somewhere!

Anyway, the spatula no longer goes into the micro, and it is still perfectly useable.
thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%