Am I Being Too Sensitive?

Decorating By AngiesIdea Updated 27 Jun 2007 , 1:42am by Sunny77

AngiesIdea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngiesIdea Posted 25 Jun 2007 , 6:39am
post #1 of 25

Is it rude when no one replies to a reasonable question? icon_mad.gif Especially when you know that the question has been viewed by many! thumbsdown.gif

Angie

24 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 25 Jun 2007 , 7:16am
post #2 of 25

Depends on the question. Sometimes I will pop into a topic that has a simple subject line of "I need help" only to find it's a fondant or gumpaste question, in which I have zero expertise. So I pop out without commenting because I have nothing to contribute.

I have no idea how the questions you are referring to were headlined, but just in general, I'd like to suggest really good subject lines. Instead of "I need help" perhaps expand it to "I need help with a fondant question". THen those who have no fondant expertise (like me) woulnd't pop in unnecessarily.

jmt1714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmt1714 Posted 25 Jun 2007 , 12:05pm
post #3 of 25

if you mean you are getting upset that no one answers a question in a forum like this, I would have to say yes, you are being too sensitive.

Heath Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Heath Posted 25 Jun 2007 , 6:17pm
post #4 of 25

This is one of those instances when BUMP is an appropriate technique.

If a period of time goes by without an answer, it is a good time to add another post to your thread reminding people you still need help on the topic.

Sometimes it takes awhile before the person with the right answer comes looking. Most of your views are going to be people wondering the same thing and hoping you got a reply.

jmt1714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmt1714 Posted 25 Jun 2007 , 8:56pm
post #5 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heath

If a period of time goes by without an answer, it is a good time to add another post to your thread reminding people you still need help on the topic.

Sometimes it takes awhile before the person with the right answer comes looking. Most of your views are going to be people wondering the same thing and hoping you got a reply.

now you're gonna CONFUSE everyone Heath - there was a long thread from some members lecturing as to why not to "bump"

icon_razz.gif

maggiev777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maggiev777 Posted 25 Jun 2007 , 10:02pm
post #6 of 25

Yes, you are being too sensitive... I know it is hard - sometimes if my posts don't get a prompt answer I feel like I am being ignored or not part of the "in crowd" or something! But really people don't mean things personally. I agree with PPs - a lot of Views might just mean a lot of people don't know the answer either, or are just wondering what your question is (if the subject line doesn't make it clear). If you get desperate just post another plea. People do want to help!

Hang in there icon_biggrin.gif

marybible Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marybible Posted 25 Jun 2007 , 10:40pm
post #7 of 25

I agree with indydebi, I love to look at the questions and suggestions but there are just some topics that I know nothing about. So therefore I don't reply. But I would also be the first one to offer help/suggestion if I had one.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 25 Jun 2007 , 11:12pm
post #8 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmt1714

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heath

now you're gonna CONFUSE everyone Heath - there was a long thread from some members lecturing as to why not to "bump"

icon_razz.gif

A bump after 5 mins is inappropriate as there might not be anyone on that knows the question. Personally I find after a couple of days then it is appropriate (or about 24 hrs if it is fairly urgent) I find it very irratating to open a post and see that it was bumped just 5-10 mins after it was asked. (I actually stop reading this sometimes b/c it frustrates me that someone was not patient-expecially when it is asked about 2-4 in the morning and that is the slowest time on CC) There may be a lot of people online, however not all of them are looking through the forums at that time, or they are reading other post and will get to it soon.

Sorry if I stepped on anyones toes or offended anyone, all of the above is a personal opinion and I know not everyone is going to agree with me, but that is why it is an opinion.

crisseyann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crisseyann Posted 25 Jun 2007 , 11:29pm
post #9 of 25

I agree with you completely, leily.

AngiesIdea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngiesIdea Posted 26 Jun 2007 , 3:12am
post #10 of 25

Okay, I can accept the responses that I've received but I would like to elaborate a bit on my position. In my opinion, my subject lines aren't anymore trivial then some of the others that I seen in this forum. Going forward, I will try to be more to the point in my subject lines. If anyone needs further proof of my subject lines/posts, please take a look at them for yourself.

Thanks to all!
Angie icon_smile.gif

DoniB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DoniB Posted 26 Jun 2007 , 3:21am
post #11 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by marybible

I agree with indydebi, I love to look at the questions and suggestions but there are just some topics that I know nothing about. So therefore I don't reply. But I would also be the first one to offer help/suggestion if I had one.

When I run into something like this, and I'm interested in the answer as well, I try to answer with something along the lines of 'Good question! I'm sure someone out there will tell us... anyone?'... which also helps to bump the message a bit so that it will stay where folks can see it quicker. icon_smile.gif

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 26 Jun 2007 , 3:26am
post #12 of 25

I find sometimes its good to wait at least 24 hours..I think some have to wait until after work and then check the recent posts, and then answer. I have thought in the past that nobody would answer and then by the next day I had several replies. Also make sure you mark your post that you want to be updated with replies.

I agree too, sometimes I view a topic, realize that my opinion would mean nothing, and bow back out.

julzs71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julzs71 Posted 26 Jun 2007 , 4:51am
post #13 of 25

I think sometimes you can do a search and find an answer. If it a simple question, I pop right out.
People always ask about smoothing icing, is box or scratch better, and other questions that could be easily found if you search.

beccakelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beccakelly Posted 26 Jun 2007 , 1:11pm
post #14 of 25

i agree, that often i don't answer because i think they could just do a search for their answer. if they are new, i will answer, because they may not have discovered the search function (took me like a month icon_redface.gif ) but for someone whos been around a while, its a little frustrating to answer the same questions over and over and over.

indydebi Posted 26 Jun 2007 , 2:55pm
post #15 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by beccakelly

....but for someone whos been around a while, its a little frustrating to answer the same questions over and over and over.

Gosh, I have the opposite view! Imagine you're a new employee. Imagine you're asking questions about your new job. Imagine being snubbed off or told "I've already answered that question last week to someone else so I'm not helping you."

If you're answering the same question for the same person over and over, I can understand your frustration. But if it's a new person ....... ? Maybe they DID try to search for the answer. Maybe they didn't use quite the right key word or maybe search wasn't working that day.

Maybe helping out someone who is new is just being a good neighbor or a good CC'er.

beccakelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beccakelly Posted 26 Jun 2007 , 3:17pm
post #16 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:
Originally Posted by beccakelly

....but for someone whos been around a while, its a little frustrating to answer the same questions over and over and over.

Gosh, I have the opposite view! Imagine you're a new employee. Imagine you're asking questions about your new job. Imagine being snubbed off or told "I've already answered that question last week to someone else so I'm not helping you."

If you're answering the same question for the same person over and over, I can understand your frustration. But if it's a new person ....... ? Maybe they DID try to search for the answer. Maybe they didn't use quite the right key word or maybe search wasn't working that day.

Maybe helping out someone who is new is just being a good neighbor or a good CC'er.

you misunderstand me. what i said was i DO answer the new people. its the when people have been around for a while that it gets tiring. there are lots of times that old members post the same question that was posted in the same forum, the same day! if they had just scrolled down, they would find their answer.

indydebi Posted 26 Jun 2007 , 3:19pm
post #17 of 25

beccakelly, my misunderstanding then! icon_redface.gif I've seen just what you are referring to. Thanks for clarifying!

maryjsgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maryjsgirl Posted 26 Jun 2007 , 3:31pm
post #18 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngiesIdea

Is it rude when no one replies to a reasonable question? icon_mad.gif Especially when you know that the question has been viewed by many! thumbsdown.gif

Angie

I looked at your history to try to see what the problem was. I didn't see one thread that you started and didn't have at least a few replies. Can you give a definite example? Then it would be easier to give answers. I am not going to call something rude if I don't know the exact details.

breelaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
breelaura Posted 26 Jun 2007 , 4:53pm
post #19 of 25

In that case, I usually say something like "I had the same question a while back and I found a lot of information using the search term ____. See if that works for you, and if not, let me know and I'll try to give you some more direction." Usually there's a lot more info than I can repeat, and I feel like they get a better answer by reading through the thread(s) on the topic. If it's something quick, I might say "Yes, you can do that (or no, as appropriate). Try running a search on ____ for more info."

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 26 Jun 2007 , 8:46pm
post #20 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

I understand that some people do not understand the search feature, but if there is 3 questions about FBCT, with it clearly labeled in the subject line on the first page of a forum, and someone posts a 4th then it isn't about using the search but about not looking around first.

I've been around cake message boards for at least 5 years now. The same questions are going to come up over and over. Same as those conversatial questions/comments as well. It just happens.

As far as not getting replies or as many replies as we would like. I think that happens. I see repeat questions that get asked that get 10 replies or more, and when I ask something that I'm pretty sure hasn't been talked about before and get only 3-5 replies it can play with your head. Just remember it usually isn't personal. There are alot of reasons for views and no replies, many stated above.

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 26 Jun 2007 , 8:54pm
post #21 of 25

i wonder if this is in some way related to two things:

1) the very nature of the structure of forums -- that stuff is scattered all over everywhere...even the articles barely scratch the surface of all the data here on CC -- would be interesting if there was a metalink page -- a master page of links to the most commonly asked questions (an FAQ -- in bright red, flashing icon -- look here first! -- and, tho' she may hit me -- i suggest JanH as the: oh empress of links? -- link czarina? )

2) something that is slowly driving me out of teaching -- "why should I have to work for the answer -- just give it to me"

breelaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
breelaura Posted 26 Jun 2007 , 9:00pm
post #22 of 25

Doug has gotta point... actually two (from a fellow teacher AMEN and preach on). Interesting idea.

I really think it just depends on the question, who's lurking around, etc., as to how many responses one gets. And part of the problem is that you're too daggum smart, TexasSugar (and others). If you ask a newbie question, I can answer it (maybe), and I'd bet a lot of easy questions get answered because a lot of people know the answer - especially since when you're really new it's exciting enough just to know the answer and help someone else out.

But you folks who have been doing this stuff awhile have forgotten more than I know, so when you ask the hard questions there's not much I can do but watch and wait to see if someone answers! icon_wink.gif

cakecrumb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakecrumb Posted 26 Jun 2007 , 9:18pm
post #23 of 25

i think you are being too sensitive... and i mean that in the nicest way. icon_smile.gif

i think we've all experienced a long wait for a response at one time or another. you can't take it personally.
what i would suggest is that you try the search feature first. then, if you don't find your answer, try your question in the forums.
also, make sure that your post title is clear. personally, i won't even open a thread with an ambiguous title. short and concise post titles are the ones that i will take the time to open up. but, thats just me.
when the post title is misleading, often times i will open it up, read it and then close it. other times, i will read a post and not have the experience or information to add, so i will close it.
it just depends.

whatever the case, don't feel shunned or left out. there are tons and tons of members here and pretty much everyone is willing to help in any way they can. just give it a little time and the right cake guru will eventually find your question. thumbs_up.gificon_biggrin.gif

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 26 Jun 2007 , 9:56pm
post #24 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by breelaura

And part of the problem is that you're too daggum smart, TexasSugar (and others). If you ask a newbie question, I can answer it (maybe), and I'd bet a lot of easy questions get answered because a lot of people know the answer - especially since when you're really new it's exciting enough just to know the answer and help someone else out.

Thank you, I think. icon_wink.gif HeHe. But even I can ask somewhat newbie questions at times. icon_biggrin.gif

Sunny77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sunny77 Posted 27 Jun 2007 , 1:42am
post #25 of 25

Like others have said before me, when they read something and have no answers or nothing to offer I don't. I don't know if you're being too sensitive but when I post something in the forums if I don't receive a response I don't consider it rude at all. I actually feel like it's a privilege to get feedback or a response.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%