So I Bought A Celcake Mold (Buds) Set And Now I Don't Know..

Decorating By Sugar_Plum_Fairy Updated 24 Jun 2007 , 10:39pm by Briarview

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 24 Jun 2007 , 12:34am
post #1 of 14

...exactly how to use it. Could anyone help me?

I know this sounds like a really dumb question, but the darn thing didn't come with instructions and I'm not sure if I'm suppose to cut it. It looks like I am, but I don't know for sure.

Here's what it looks like (the last one on the bottom): https://www.celcrafts.co.uk/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_CelShapes_Moulds_6.html

13 replies
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 24 Jun 2007 , 2:04am
post #2 of 14

Anyone at all?

miriel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miriel Posted 24 Jun 2007 , 2:12am
post #3 of 14

I have the teddy bear mold by Celcakes (scroll up on the page in your link) and when I used it I cut it so I can make a 3d bear. The mold has a slot on one side that goes on the other so I thought the only way this would work was if I was to cut it so I can fold and click the slots into place.

The buds mold in your link looks like it will work the same way as the teddy bear mold.

Briarview Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Briarview Posted 24 Jun 2007 , 2:22am
post #4 of 14

I have the snowflake mould and find it very fiddly as I have to cut right around the design and also cut out the middle bits to get the see-through effect. How does everyone else use them? I would be interested also.

miriel Posted 24 Jun 2007 , 2:33am
post #5 of 14

I have used that snowflake mold. A palette knife helps a lot to get rid of the excess paste: http://www.internationalsugarart.com/cgi-bin/store/shop.cgi?ud=MTdHUVZBQlpGSCUlJSUlJTExODI2NTIxNTMA&storeid=1&sortby=categories&searchtext=palette&cols=1&&c=detail.htm&itemid=T100

I just place the blade of the palette knife on top of the mold and use a horizontal slicing motion to get rid of the extras. That is also the same technique I use on their alphabet molds.

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 24 Jun 2007 , 3:37am
post #6 of 14

Thanks, miriel. I was afraid if I did cut it that I would find out afterwards that I shouldn't. But it does look like it's suppose to be cut.

Thanks. I think I'll give it a try tomorrow.

miriel Posted 24 Jun 2007 , 3:56am
post #7 of 14

I have to let you know that I decided that on my own when I saw the slots they fit in. I probably should have called someone at Nick Lodge's store before I did though. You may want to do that first. icon_smile.gif

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 24 Jun 2007 , 4:20pm
post #8 of 14

miriel, when you say slots, do you mean the holes and the coordinating outward protrusions? Mine have what almost looks like little snaps.

miriel Posted 24 Jun 2007 , 4:33pm
post #9 of 14

One side of the mold has indentations and the other side has the outward protrusions that looked to me like they snap together - and they fit just right after I cut mine. I didn't cut them all the way around, just enough sides that I could fold over one side and snap to the other. This way, I am still able to store the mold flat in one piece.

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 24 Jun 2007 , 4:46pm
post #10 of 14

Great idea. My hubby kept looking at them and asking, "Well, how else would they work?!" That's why I'd rather ask for opinions here. I don't feel as dumb.

miriel Posted 24 Jun 2007 , 5:08pm
post #11 of 14

It does look and feel odd that we have to cut the mold to use it. In almost all my tools, I just need to take them out of the container/packaging to use them.

They are great though. Gumpaste/pastillage doesn't stick to them and I get good, defined details on the molded items.

I'm sure you will enjoy using yours icon_smile.gif

bisbqueenb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bisbqueenb Posted 24 Jun 2007 , 5:58pm
post #12 of 14

http://www.celcakes.co.uk/CelClub/TutorCKLace.htm
Here is another good link with instructions using the palette knifejavascript:emoticon('icon_smile.gif')
Smile

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 24 Jun 2007 , 6:14pm
post #13 of 14

Thanks again, miriel. Thanks also, bisbqueenb. Unfortunately the ones I got aren't the silicone ones, but I did cut them and I think they'll work great when I go to use them. The odd thing is that two of them didn't have the line between them where you fold the other ones and another two didn't "match up". The latter two had to be cut out completely and reversed. If I had just folded the either top to bottom or side to side, they would have been mismatched. I had to physically cut those two sets out so I have four loose pieces. A bit annoying, but will now work.

Briarview Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Briarview Posted 24 Jun 2007 , 10:39pm
post #14 of 14

Thank you bisbqueenb for the link to the Celcake site. I have never had instructions accompanying their products so this is a great help.
Miriel perhaps my paste is too stiff and I think perhaps I am not putting in enough as I was rolling it across the pattern but it was lifting. I am away to try out the method shown on their site and hopefully get better results. You know the saying practise makes perfect. Thanks!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%