Viva Paper Towel Help!!!!!!

Decorating By DesignsbyD Updated 13 Jun 2005 , 10:48pm by DesignsbyD

DesignsbyD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DesignsbyD Posted 12 Jun 2005 , 4:51pm
post #1 of 8

I just crumb coated my sons cake,after I frost it I want to use the viva towels to smooth it. I am not so good at smoothing cakes. Can anyone tell me what to do? I am not sure if I just place the towel over the frosting? do I need to put pressure on the towel? I am lost. This all new to me Any help would greatly be appreciated. I need to have this cake done by 3pm.
Thanks again Denise

7 replies
ntertayneme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ntertayneme Posted 12 Jun 2005 , 5:14pm
post #2 of 8

After I crumb coat, I let that dry slightly and then I put my final coat of icing ... I let my cake crust slightly and then I take a Viva papertowel (if you can find the solid white type, use those... if you use the printed ones, then use the non-printed side of the paper towel against your cake) and lightly rub it .. I lift the paper towel and see if it's smoothed enough .. if it still has areas that need to be smoothed more, I just place the paper towel down on that area and again rub it until it gets smoothed. Hope this helps icon_smile.gif

DesignsbyD Posted 12 Jun 2005 , 5:25pm
post #3 of 8

Thanks so much ntertayneme....My final frost is just about done
I'll let ya know how things work out
Denise

ntertayneme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ntertayneme Posted 12 Jun 2005 , 5:48pm
post #4 of 8

Glad to help .. hope all turns out well for you Denise icon_smile.gif

flayvurdfun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flayvurdfun Posted 13 Jun 2005 , 3:29pm
post #5 of 8

I have yet to achieve a smooth top even with the towel, but it does make it better.. you cant wait too long to do it after frosting, and you have to use some pressure too....even though the viva towel is a smooth design I can still see the towel surface on the cake...even if I dont press hard.... but I still think its better then not having anything at all.

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 13 Jun 2005 , 3:59pm
post #6 of 8

Well, you can use a smooth washed and dried piece of cotton or material with very little weave lines, parchment paper, waxed paper. You can use a fondant smoother over the fabric or paper once the icing is set. You can use a small fondant roller, this works well especially along the sides. You can use your offset or regular spatula along the areas that need smoothing again on top of the fabric or paper you have chosen to work with.
I let the icing set for about 25 minutes before using this method.
Hugs Mary Lou
Squirrelly Cakes

mrsrunning Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsrunning Posted 13 Jun 2005 , 5:26pm
post #7 of 8

i put the paper towel down and then use my staptula to smooth but i like to keep mine hot run the spatula under hot water but make sure to wipe dry it has worked out well so far

DesignsbyD Posted 13 Jun 2005 , 10:48pm
post #8 of 8

The cake turned out delicous everyone loved the frosting and the bct came out ok a little chunky looking. The viva paper towels worked great. I have to say I tried after just a few minutes and it didn't work, I let the cake sit for about 20 minutes then tried again and it worked great.
Thanx for your help

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%