Noah's Ark Cake Support Help

Decorating By Dimples03 Updated 24 Jun 2007 , 2:13am by kbochick

Dimples03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dimples03 Posted 23 Jun 2007 , 7:48pm
post #1 of 12

Ok, I've never done a stacked cake and someone (my SIL) wants me to try to do a 3-d Noah's Ark cake. I did my first try today and the ark is splitting down the center. I made an 11x15 sheet with supports (5 in the middle of a cakeboard) and put the football cake on the piece of cakeboard.

Not working, please help!!! icon_cry.gif

11 replies
diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 23 Jun 2007 , 8:17pm
post #2 of 12

hi, i have a book that shows how to do a noah's ark cake...can't think of the title of the book off hand, but i can send you the pictures and directions tomorrow...it's late where i'm at. icon_confused.gif do you need it now??

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 23 Jun 2007 , 8:31pm
post #3 of 12

gallery search results -- several 3D ones in there.

most are made buy doing traditional tiers slightly carved.

you could PM any of the decorators for help.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&meta=search&type=full&search=Noah%27s+Ark

Dimples03 Posted 23 Jun 2007 , 8:56pm
post #4 of 12

Thanks for the replies, I did look in the gallery and at the article, even searched here. I just didn't know if it was a support/dowel issue, since I've never done that before, kwim?

It's ok to pm them for help? Really? I didn't want to bother anyone with a PM, but I do need some help.

No, not right now. Cake is for next weekend, but I wanted to let her know asap if I thought I could do it or not.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 23 Jun 2007 , 9:05pm
post #5 of 12

That's what this place is here for! I definitely PM people about their cakes, and I receive PMs about mine as well. Just tell them you love their cake and are hoping for some tips.

Good luck!

Barbend Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Barbend Posted 23 Jun 2007 , 9:07pm
post #6 of 12

When I did my Noah's Ark cake I used two oval cakes. I Put a layer of buttercream between them and put it in the freezer. (wrapped in plastic wrap) After several hours i took it out and carved it into the shape of the ark. I then iced the cake and put the fondant "boards" on. I used a small loaf cake for the middle section of the ark. Good Luck!!!

Dimples03 Posted 23 Jun 2007 , 9:10pm
post #7 of 12

I thought about doing it with two ovals, but I've never carved much either and that made me nervous. I think I'm going to have to suck it up and try it! lol

Thanks, barbend, for your pointers, too!

randipanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
randipanda Posted 23 Jun 2007 , 9:10pm
post #8 of 12

I did the same thing, 2 oval pans carved at the bottom. The only problem I had, which I still haven't figured out how I'd fixed, is that the weight of the fondant animals started to compress the cake and then buckle the fondant on the sides (i was using fondant "planks" too).

Debbie Brown's book "50 easy party cakes" is where I got the idea for it, you might want to see if you can find a copy.

Barbend Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Barbend Posted 23 Jun 2007 , 9:16pm
post #9 of 12

I had the same problem, although no one else noticed. Maybe if a cake board was put between the oval layers you could just put the toothpicks into the cake making sure they went into the cake board. That would take the the pressure off the side of the cake. ( I had toothpicks in each of my animals)

Dimples03 Posted 23 Jun 2007 , 9:26pm
post #10 of 12

Where do I need to put the supports? And what do I need to use for supports? You used toothpicks?!

I still have so much to learn! icon_smile.gif

As far as animals, my sil's mother has some that go with a toy she's giving for a shower present that they want to use for the cake, too.

Dimples03 Posted 23 Jun 2007 , 9:28pm
post #11 of 12

Oh and I'll look for that book, too. Thanks, randipanda!

kbochick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kbochick Posted 24 Jun 2007 , 2:13am
post #12 of 12

I used ovals as well. I put dowels in the cake below my ark, and a couple under the giraffes that came up through the top. Otherwise, I didn't have any trouble with it at all. You can see mine in my photos or on my website. Good luck, my ark is still one of my favorite cakes that I've ever done. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%