How Do I Make Gumpaste Stamens That Don't Break?

Decorating By LukeRubyJoy Updated 13 Aug 2006 , 2:00pm by MissT

LukeRubyJoy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LukeRubyJoy Posted 10 Aug 2006 , 11:24pm
post #1 of 20

I am trying my hand at flowers (a first) for a cake on Wednesday. How would I make the stamens for inside the flower without having them crack? Roll really skinny snakes, put on a top then lay on sugar? ARG! I don't know. I think I am in way too deep! It is hard being a newbie! Thanks for all your help. Sarah

19 replies
Molliebird Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Molliebird Posted 10 Aug 2006 , 11:28pm
post #2 of 20

Michaels sells the stamens that you just insert into the flowers if you want to go that route. They're not edible.

patton78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patton78 Posted 10 Aug 2006 , 11:31pm
post #3 of 20

Yes, I had the same thought as Molliebird, just go buy them at Michaels. I am not sure if you could even make them?

LukeRubyJoy Posted 10 Aug 2006 , 11:36pm
post #4 of 20

Do you buy them in the flower section or in the cake section. I was there today, and didn't see them, but was in a bit of a hurry. Do you think you could make them? I think they would just break, but obviously haven't tried yet.

JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 10 Aug 2006 , 11:38pm
post #5 of 20

You can also make them with fine string, or thread coated with a bit of glue. But, it is easier to buy them.

LukeRubyJoy Posted 11 Aug 2006 , 3:08am
post #6 of 20

Good Grief! I don't think I would EVER have the patience to do the thread thing...although it is probably pretty easy. So, do you buy in floral or cake section? I only found a few floral things at JoAnns yesterday....kind of disappointing actually.

cashley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cashley Posted 11 Aug 2006 , 3:13am
post #7 of 20

I found them at Michaels in the cake decorating section. I have had a hard time finding them here in Canada though and when I did I bought a lot.

Molliebird Posted 11 Aug 2006 , 3:19am
post #8 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by cashley

I found them at Michaels in the cake decorating section. I have had a hard time finding them here in Canada though and when I did I bought a lot.

Hi Cashley, I get my stamens from the Michaels here in Windsor, Ontario and have even found then at Bulk Barns here.

Molliebird Posted 11 Aug 2006 , 3:20am
post #9 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeRubyJoy

Good Grief! I don't think I would EVER have the patience to do the thread thing...although it is probably pretty easy. So, do you buy in floral or cake section? I only found a few floral things at JoAnns yesterday....kind of disappointing actually.

You can try the cake decorating section at Michaels. They should have them. If not, you could always try the Wilton shop online.

LukeRubyJoy Posted 11 Aug 2006 , 3:28am
post #10 of 20

So, Maybe I need to come across the border? At least we have Timmy's!! I actually used TimBits on a cake....it was my niece's first word (TimBit that is)!

In all seriousness here, I will take a harder look at Michaels. They seemed to have the biggest selection of cake decorating stuff, then JoAnns. ACMoore was last, but least expensive.

Do they have different kinds, like for Lillys and smaller ones like for daffodils? I guess you could also buy the whole darn flower and just cut it out, but that seems like a waste.

bonniesido Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonniesido Posted 11 Aug 2006 , 3:32am
post #11 of 20

I use thin spaghetti with a dab of colored fondant or gum paste on the end. This works well if you want to stay with an all edible flower.

LukeRubyJoy Posted 11 Aug 2006 , 4:02am
post #12 of 20

good idea. See, that is why I come here. (Who needs therapy, when you can work with gumpaste instead??) icon_smile.gif

LukeRubyJoy Posted 11 Aug 2006 , 11:30pm
post #13 of 20

OK, I bought the pre-made Wiltons stamens from JoAnns today. There are 3 designs: One is very thin and about 2 inches with pearl-like tips on each end, the second is shorter and more petite with a glittery kind of end, and the third is larger with a "little bunch of grapes" sort of, at the ends.

Can these be dyed with the same food coloring we use for icing? The stem part appears to just be tape or cloth, and will probably absorb the colors, but what about the ends??? Thanks!

Molliebird Posted 12 Aug 2006 , 1:56am
post #14 of 20

I dyed mine for some tiger lilies that I did. I use Wilton gel colours mixed with a little vanilla extract and put them in it. They came out ok. They were a little blotchy but looked fine when I put them in the flower. I think I could have kept them in the dye a little longer. I might try that next time.

MissT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissT Posted 12 Aug 2006 , 2:06am
post #15 of 20

Hey LukeRubyJoy,

You're in my neck of the woods. icon_biggrin.gif AC Moore here in Blasdell (where I live) has them too, but I am not sure how much they are. I bought a bunch when Dave's had everything on clearance (they don't carry cake decorating stuff anymore icon_cry.gif ). Anyway, I used them on butterflies that I made out of RI and dyed the stamens black by just soaking them in a slightly thinned black gel coloring, then dried and they were good to go. thumbs_up.gif Good luck and Happy Baking!!!!

And WELCOME to CC - the most addictive place on earth!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LukeRubyJoy Posted 12 Aug 2006 , 3:03am
post #16 of 20

Thanks Guys. How long do you soak for? I guess it would depend on the depth of the color you are looking for, right? What happens to that "pearly" part on the top? Does it take color?

MissT: Hi there! I am hoping to take a Wilton I class once the kids are back in school. I'm in the northtowns though. I picked up schedules from JoAnns, Michaels and ACMoore. I'm guessing there may be crossover with the instructors. Have you taken any of the courses here in WNY? If so, what are your recommendations.

Thanks for the b-day greeting. Funny thing, my mom's b-day is the 18th, mine the 15th. She is making me a bryers reeses peanut butter cup and Edy's Dibs ice-cream pie and I am making her a chocolate cake (from scratch - not typical for me) with ganache (also not typical). We are going to use both together. This is why I am trying flowers for the first time (for cake on Wednesday). I KNEW I would get back to my STAMEN point eventually! icon_biggrin.gif

Molliebird Posted 12 Aug 2006 , 2:26pm
post #17 of 20

I didn't use the pearly ones. I used the lumpy ones and the other type. I guess the pearl ones probably wouldn't take colour. Sorry!

MissT Posted 13 Aug 2006 , 1:41am
post #18 of 20

Hi LukeRubyJoy - I took the Wilton 1 course and just finished about 2 weeks ago. We were supposed to start Wilton 2 last week but the instructor was sick so we will start this Monday instead. I really enjoyed the classes. As for recommendations, I would say to just enjoy them and get out of them as much as you can, since it sounds like you have already been doing some cake decorating. I did it on my own for 6 years before taking the classes and I am really glad I did!!!! Well, keep in touch and good luck with your stamens!!! thumbs_up.gif

LukeRubyJoy Posted 13 Aug 2006 , 4:53am
post #19 of 20

Hey MissT, Thanks for all the advice. I dicided to go with a bouquet of tulips laid on the top of the cake. (I think). I'll let you know how it comes out.
sarah

MissT Posted 13 Aug 2006 , 2:00pm
post #20 of 20

Don't forget to post pics!!! and no problem. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%