Question About Coloring Cake Batter

Decorating By Maudrey74 Updated 10 Aug 2006 , 6:33pm by imartsy

Maudrey74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Maudrey74 Posted 10 Aug 2006 , 5:52pm
post #1 of 8

My neice wants a lime green cake... not the frosting, but the cake itself. I've never colored cake batter before so I don't know what is the best way to do it. Anyone have any experience with this. Can I color a yellow cake mix? Help Please!!!

7 replies
solidezca Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
solidezca Posted 10 Aug 2006 , 5:56pm
post #2 of 8

I dont know if this will help you, but I once tried to color the batter of my cake to blue. It came out kind of greenish... nothing like blue. I then thought well, my batter was kind of yellow, so yellow mixed with blue gave me green icon_cry.gif
It was good though! and it was not for sale or anything like that, it was just for us at home, so it was ok!
I hope this helps.

TOMAY Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TOMAY Posted 10 Aug 2006 , 5:56pm
post #3 of 8

i just add a little of wilton paste to mine i have little girls who want pink and purple cake all the time

JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 10 Aug 2006 , 5:57pm
post #4 of 8

Yes you can. The baked color will be similar to the batter color. So, if it isn't lime green when it goes in, it won't be quite lime green when it comes out.

Most any color works fine.

Maudrey74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Maudrey74 Posted 10 Aug 2006 , 6:03pm
post #5 of 8

Thanks!!! Solidezca-- I was thinking of adding blue since the cake batter is yellow... Thanks

Tomay-- Do you use a yellow cake mix?

Thanks JoannB!!!!

jwong9664 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jwong9664 Posted 10 Aug 2006 , 6:08pm
post #6 of 8

i just did a red velvet and it calls for a whole 1 oz bottle of food coloring, it also calls for a tsp of vinegar... i'm assuming it's so the color will take kinda like easter eggs. it worked really well though, very vibrant. hth!

TOMAY Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TOMAY Posted 10 Aug 2006 , 6:14pm
post #7 of 8

yep yellow cake mix for all my bday cakes i would add a ton of leaf green you will get lime !

imartsy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imartsy Posted 10 Aug 2006 , 6:33pm
post #8 of 8

Do you guys ever have problems w/ people eating the colored cakes? My mom is such a traditionalist - doesn't like blue icing or any funky colors - doesn't like cakes that don't look like cakes (sigh) and I KNOW she would be disgusted by the thought of a blue or green or any color cake! Do your customers like them though & eat them?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%