Torte Cake Questions- Any Advise Is Appreciated!

Decorating By chrissy410 Updated 10 Aug 2006 , 6:45pm by candygirl

chrissy410 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chrissy410 Posted 10 Aug 2006 , 4:08pm
post #1 of 4

I had my first wilton class last night and I want to try a torte cake for my mom's birthday this weekend. She loves pistachio pudding. Can you use any type of pudding when doing this. The instructor ran out of time so I didn't get a chance to ask her. I don't know if I should buy the cake leveler or just use a knife. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I really want to start practicing. Thank you.

3 replies
DeniseRoy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseRoy Posted 10 Aug 2006 , 4:20pm
post #2 of 4

I think any type of pudding works just make sure you make a icing dam. as for torting you can use either the leveler or knife. I perfer the leveler I can't get straight cuts with a knife.

JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 10 Aug 2006 , 5:56pm
post #3 of 4

The pudding will require that the cake be refrigerated. The cooked puddings are more stable than instant.

You don't need the leveler to torte the layers. You can carefully use a long serrated knife. If you want to be more sure it is straight, you can use the dental floss method.

Insert a few toothpicks around the cake in the middle of the layer. Wrap the floss (or even thread) around the cake using the toothpicks as a guide. Pull the two ends of the floss together, cutting into the cake. Works like a charm. Be sure to use unlfavored floss, waxed if you have it.

candygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candygirl Posted 10 Aug 2006 , 6:45pm
post #4 of 4

I always use pudding mix and use heavy whipping cream instead of milk. It makes the pudding much more thick and it doesn't leak out the sides of the cake. Plus it is DEElicious.

Quote by @%username% on %date%