Just A Couple Of Questions From A Newbie

Business By Peg2665 Updated 22 Jun 2007 , 7:44pm by miriel

Peg2665 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peg2665 Posted 22 Jun 2007 , 1:36pm
post #1 of 5

When making pastiallge, can I substitute corn syrup for glucose???
Does anyone have a picture of a "Kate Spade" shoe box or pocketbook box? I know it is green, but not your ordinary green. I can't find one online. thanks

4 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 22 Jun 2007 , 7:21pm
post #2 of 5

You can sub corn syrup for glycerine-the product may be drier so watch how much sugar you add.

As for the photo, sorry.

Sugarflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarflowers Posted 22 Jun 2007 , 7:22pm
post #3 of 5

I can help you with the pastillage, but not the box.

Pastillage only has powdered sugar, tylose, and water. Some use vinegar and gelatin instead of water and tylose, but glucose is not used.

If you are making fondant, then yes, you can substitute corn syrup for glucose. Glucose is just a thicker version of corn syrup.

Michele

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 22 Jun 2007 , 7:25pm
post #4 of 5

photo of shopping bag
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/148/330043005_1e1e942f84_o.jpg

K. Spade's web page: (note the greens at the top)

http://www.katespade.com/home/index.jsp?clickid=topnav_logo_img

warning tho' -- depending upon your monitor and how it is adjusted, the colors may not look right. -- only true source would be an actual box

miriel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miriel Posted 22 Jun 2007 , 7:44pm
post #5 of 5

Corn syrup is more liquid than glucose so I would adjust the water in your recipe by a little bit.

According to the Cake Bible, substitute 1/2 cup corn syrup + 3 tablespoons water with 1/2 cup glucose + 4 tablespoons water.

Depending on how much glucose your pastillage recipe requires, I'd adjust the water accordingly. (My pastillage recipe only requires 1 tablespoon glucose so I will just take out water in drops to adjust the recipe).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%