Anyone In Il?

Business By lauramw71 Updated 10 Aug 2006 , 3:31pm by chloe1979

lauramw71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lauramw71 Posted 9 Aug 2006 , 6:33pm
post #1 of 7

I looked on the sites for the health dept. and state information on the home bakery thing. Holy cow. I didnt understand ONE word of ANYTHING. LOL Someone told me you CAN legally have a home bakery but im not quite believing that. My neighbor works for the health dept (inspecting kitchens no less)!!! So Im TERRIFIED. LOL
There's an office space for rent for $400 a month in the downtown area of my lil bitty (population 1900) town. But im NOT good enuff to get into something like that. NEVER attempted a wedding cake (never made it to the 3rd Wilton Class) and terrified to start before I get more practice in. So I dont think I would profit enuff to actually rent and renovate a location. I am a fantastic baker but I'd be baking 24/7 if I wanted to offer other baked goods to get a profit on a space like that.
Any insights?

Laura

6 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 9 Aug 2006 , 8:05pm
post #2 of 7

You best chance is to ask your neighbor is she knows anyone who might share their kitchen. A rental arrangment with a business that is only open part of the day, works for many people. The worst that can happen is she says no.

Unfortunately you are out of luck for a business without a licensed kitchen.

Lenette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lenette Posted 9 Aug 2006 , 8:10pm
post #3 of 7

Get the number for your local county HD. Some places allow you to bake certain things at home if you don't do ads. Check and see, you might be pleasantly surprised! icon_smile.gif Better to know than not, in my book. When I called I didn't give them a name or anything. A lot of inspectors are actually nice and friendly, mine are anyway. She's even trying to help me find a cheaper plumber! Good luck!

BeautifulCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeautifulCakes Posted 10 Aug 2006 , 5:00am
post #4 of 7

In Chicago that is a big NO!. But I've heard some counties allow a home bakery. You must have a seperate kitchen in your home. Check with the dep of health of the county where you live.

chloe1979 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chloe1979 Posted 10 Aug 2006 , 5:06am
post #5 of 7

I am from Iowa, but live on the border of IL and WI, and checked into the "going across the border" thing. Call the county health department. Jo Daviss helped me a lot, and don't quote me, but I am pretty sure your state requires a separate kitchen besides your home kitchen (aka... basement, added on room, etc.). I went through all the stuff for Iowa, and our inspector said only a couple of states still allow a home food establishment anymore, Iowa being one of them. Good luck!

lauramw71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lauramw71 Posted 10 Aug 2006 , 3:27pm
post #6 of 7

I figured as much. LOL Would be too good to be true. haha I could ask my neighbor since that's what he does but..... ya know lol

chloe1979 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chloe1979 Posted 10 Aug 2006 , 3:31pm
post #7 of 7

It never hurts to check with state/local officials, though. You never know who really knows what is right, especially when talking to "officials". Talk to your neighbor!! It never hurts to ask!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%