Your Opinion...if You Have Time...

Decorating By jadak Updated 21 Jun 2007 , 9:39pm by superstar

jadak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jadak Posted 21 Jun 2007 , 7:14pm
post #1 of 18

I am relatively new to cake decorating, but am absolutely loving it. The thing is, I don't know if my work is "good enough" to try to branch this out into a small "business." I am pleased with my results, and my family and friends like what I've done (but don't they kind of have to?) Anyway, I know I have a lot of learning and growing to do, but do you think, by viewing my photos, that I have a right to start having people "spread the word" that I make cakes and cookies? I am also thinking of donating to my church festival's bid-n-buy to get some exposure, but can't decide if my work is up to par or not.

Any honest opinions would be greatly appreciated.

17 replies
gismo12002 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gismo12002 Posted 21 Jun 2007 , 7:21pm
post #2 of 18

Hi--Your cakes are cute! As the saying goes....Practice! Practice! Practive!! Good luck! icon_smile.gif

post #3 of 18

Hi--Your cakes are cute! As the saying goes....Practice! Practice! Practive!! Good luck! icon_smile.gif

post #4 of 18

post #5 of 18

UGoCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
UGoCakes Posted 21 Jun 2007 , 7:27pm
post #6 of 18

I agree, your cakes and cookies are cute, you're off to a good start.

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 21 Jun 2007 , 7:31pm
post #7 of 18

I think you have a really nice collection of cakes so far and could definitely do well for birthdays and occasions like that. Have you tried tiered cakes yet? Before you advertise for weddings and the like, you might want to get some practice in on those types of cakes. But you're definitely off to a great start.

Just my HO. (I'm no expert myself, just beginning to sell cakes to neighbors.)

Tartacadabra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tartacadabra Posted 21 Jun 2007 , 7:32pm
post #8 of 18

I also agree, cute cakes and lovely cookies! And yeah just spread the word, the more you practice, the better will get your cakes!!

Good luck!!

Lara

Batter-UpBakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Batter-UpBakery Posted 21 Jun 2007 , 7:35pm
post #9 of 18

your cakes are good. you should definetly spread the word. i just started myself. my last photo was my first paid cake although it didnt go as planned. but it still turned out great. good luck and i hope you get lots of orders!!!!!

keonicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keonicakes Posted 21 Jun 2007 , 7:42pm
post #10 of 18

You bet! The more orders you get, the more practice you get. Every cake we do whether it's 1 or 1000 is practice. Donate some to get the word out, BUT BEWARE, your state may not allow this, so don't advertise as a business and enjoy what you do and you will do great!

jab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jab Posted 21 Jun 2007 , 8:05pm
post #11 of 18

Practice. Practice. Practice. The more you practice the better you will become. I think you have a GREAT start on your cakes. Some of them you can tell you are more experienced. I too am new to this cake decorating thing and I just love it. If you look at my pictuers, you can tell the difference from begining till now. Time and practice. I think you should spread the word!!! Good luck.

pmw109 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pmw109 Posted 21 Jun 2007 , 8:38pm
post #12 of 18

your cakes are great. They are better than mine and I'm trying to get a side business started. Keep practicing.

Gooud luck,
Pam

jadak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jadak Posted 21 Jun 2007 , 8:52pm
post #13 of 18

[quote="keonicakes"]You bet! The more orders you get, the more practice you get. Every cake we do whether it's 1 or 1000 is practice.

Quote:
Quote:

This is what I am thinking. I want to try new things and practice, but I hate to just make cakes (and even icing on dummies) that go to waste (get stale here b/c I make 'em faster than we eat "em and I only have so many people I can give them to on a moment;s notice). I am willing to have my prices reflect my experience level and charge just a little above cost. I just don't want to do even that if they don't look good. They do always taste good. (Can't go too wrong with boxed mix and buttercream!)

Thanks so much for all of your comments.

flavaz scoop shop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flavaz scoop shop Posted 21 Jun 2007 , 9:10pm
post #14 of 18

I think you should go for it your cakes look great

D77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
D77 Posted 21 Jun 2007 , 9:21pm
post #15 of 18

If I am nothing else - I am honest.... I have to agree you are off to a great start. We all get better with time (I am just starting out too) and I can tell your progress.... icon_smile.gif Just keep it up and good luck to you! icon_biggrin.gif

Oh, my fav is the juke box icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

terrylee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrylee Posted 21 Jun 2007 , 9:29pm
post #16 of 18

I agree.....your cakes are great.....you are off to a good start.
They will only get better with each new challange.......have fun and enjoy.

gramofgwen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gramofgwen Posted 21 Jun 2007 , 9:35pm
post #17 of 18

you've got excellent ideas and a good eye for color. With time and [practice, you'll see a difference in your work. icon_smile.gif I really like the ladder on the fire truck - clever way to do it thumbs_up.gif

superstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superstar Posted 21 Jun 2007 , 9:39pm
post #18 of 18

I think you have done well & sure, you can spread the word around. Donating a cake to your church is a very good way of advertising & you are doing a good thing at the same time.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%