Your Thoughts On This? Client Unhappy... Going To Be Long.

Business By bonnscakesAZ Updated 12 Sep 2006 , 1:03am by Binkytwins

bonnscakesAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonnscakesAZ Posted 10 Jun 2005 , 10:14pm
post #1 of 43

This has really escalated to a weird situation. I had this lady that I had done 2 cakes for before call and want to order a monster truck cake. She had seen one on my site, very amaturish I must say, I am not good with cars but she said she really liked it and wanted it just like that only change the colors. Then she decided that she wanted the bottom sheet cake part to look like a dirt hill. She also only wanted one layer instead of two for the bottom cake which was a 9x13. I normally don't do that but I did because I wanted to help her keep her cost down and she didn't need a ton of cake. So I have all the details for her cake, the week it is do I get it done and my dh delivers it for me. He gets there and the woman isn't there but her dh is and the boy it is for is. They tell my dh the party is the next weekend. So he brought the cake back home.

I figure she will call me and she doesn't so I called her on liike wed to make sure it was for that weekend. She says what happened and I told her well I had last weekends date on your order form. She is acting kinda funny adn I just let it go, told her either way one of us made a mistake. (I know she told me the wrong date) So we move on. Her cake is delivered thaqt weekend and everything is fine. Well she called me that after noon and left a message and then she emailed me at the same time telling me that she needs to talk to me about the cake. In the email she stated something about me being mad at her and it showed in the cake. I called her and we talked and she said that the bottom cake was really thin and the filling also and that one side of the cake had more icing than the other side.. I explained the thin layer was because we had decided to do one layer cake instead of two and the filling has to be thinner to not seep out. I also said the only reason there is more icing on that one side is because of the "dirt hill" look we were after. I did misplell her sons name. It is Chazz and I forgot a z. I apologized for that and she says on it was no big deal I just wrote another one on there. So I think we are fine she seemed nice about it and I tell her I will give her a discount on her next cake since this cake was not what she expected.

Fast forward a month to now. She has been saying oh good about the discount because she will order a cake for her own birthday. She wants a cake I have done before, tiered with fondant and handpainted animal prints. So I give her prices for the sizes she needs. She waits a few days and asks how much her discount is again ( 25% ) then waits a while longer. emails back asking me if my prices have gone up and if there is something she can do cheaper. I tell her some starting prices on other sizes and let her know it just depends on what she wants and the pricing before was on the cake she specified that she wanted. I emailed her on Wednesday and told her that I needed to know what she wanted or I would not have time to get it done.. (In the middle of all this she gave me this weekend and next weekend as possible dates, comfirming that she told me the wrong date for the last cake and then changing the date again from sun to sat) She emails back and tells me that she and her dh do not feel comfortable paying my prices for a cake that is not a sure thing. I emailed back and told her I was sorry that she felt that way, I thought I had explained why the other cake was the way it was and that is was made to her specifications and I even wanted to give her the discount anyways even though I knew I had done what she asked.
I got another email from her this morning telling me that the entired cake was "thrown together" everything was wrong with it, even the decorating which she had never said was bad before is now bad. She claims to have redoracted the entire cake and that is on top of her previous problems with the cake. She is not going to be ordering from me again. I really don't care about that because I had decided that after finishing this cake for her I would not be accepting any more orders from her. I guess I don't know if I really messed this up or if she is just being meaner and meaner. My dh said after reading thru her emails that each one got worse and worse. I told him that I am thinking about refunding the entire amount of the last cake which was only like $70 and then being done with it. She didn't ask for that and it wouldn't make her be a client again, not that I would do a cake for her again but I think I might feel better. I am not really confident in my work normally so it doesn't take much to get me down.

Does any one have any insite in this being on the outside looking in. I don't even have a picture of the cake. I didn't take one. icon_sad.gif Sorry this is so long. If you have questions let me know. I know this is a lot!
Thanks! Bonnie

42 replies
PinkPanther Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkPanther Posted 10 Jun 2005 , 10:35pm
post #2 of 43

Hi Bonnie,

First of all, judging from the 2 photos you posted in the gallery, you do beautiful work! thumbs_up.gif If it were me, I would not refund the $70. I think offering her a discount was generous, but obviously this woman cannot be pleased anyway. Good luck, and let us know what you decide to do!

fabfour Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fabfour Posted 11 Jun 2005 , 3:04am
post #3 of 43

I agree with PinkPanther, I would not refund her money. She is just trying to get something for nothing. Just let her try this with Walmart and see how far she gets there?!

Good Luck and lots of hugs for you!

Missy

AgentCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AgentCakeBaker Posted 11 Jun 2005 , 2:08pm
post #4 of 43

I would not give her a refund. If you made the cake the way she wanted it then you've done your job. Most people who don't know a thing about cake decorating will be your worst critics.

bonnscakesAZ Posted 13 Jun 2005 , 5:19am
post #5 of 43

Thank you all so much for your opinion on this. It really helped! I never responded to her email but she sent me another one stating that she thinks she needs to get a full refund of the last cake to make things right. She said more things that was wrong then before and is just all around not nice at this point. I have decided to give her the 25% of the last cake back as her refund since that is what I had promised on a new cake order. I am not going to respond to her emails just send a check. I have a feeling I will hear from her once she gets it.
Thanks again! I sooo appreciate you all taking the time to read this and give me your opinion.

flayvurdfun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flayvurdfun Posted 13 Jun 2005 , 8:37am
post #6 of 43

sure sounds like to me all of a sudden all the buttheads out there are wanting cakes..... I totally understand everything you said. I wish I could say with complete confidence I wouldn't give a refund...I am not totally convinced I have what it takes to be a great decorator, but I do know if I was to give some kind of refund I would subtract all the ingredients I used to make the cake and then put the refund in the mail the slowest way possible and have them sign for it..... and I must say the cakes you have posted are great!

Muse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Muse Posted 13 Jun 2005 , 3:52pm
post #7 of 43

I think you were very generous to offer a discount. Sounds like this woman has to have somethng to b*tch about. That's not your fault. If she has a problem with your work, then she doesn't have to pay for anymore of it. I'd be glad to just be rid of her.

Don't let her make you question your own work. If she were any good at it, she wouldn't have to pay someone else to do it for her.

Muse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Muse Posted 13 Jun 2005 , 5:36pm
post #8 of 43

I think you were very generous to offer a discount. Sounds like this woman has to have somethng to b*tch about. That's not your fault. If she has a problem with your work, then she doesn't have to pay for anymore of it. I'd be glad to just be rid of her.

Don't let her make you question your own work. If she were any good at it, she wouldn't have to pay someone else to do it for her.

ang_ag82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ang_ag82 Posted 14 Jun 2005 , 8:03pm
post #9 of 43

I saw your pictures on this site and on your own. Your should be proud of your work and confident about it. Sometimes you just can't make certain people happy and apparently she seems to be one of those. icon_cool.gif

bonnscakesAZ Posted 17 Jun 2005 , 8:15pm
post #10 of 43

Well she called today.. I am so upset right now. I swear one person in 3 years and you can feel like quitting. She got her check today and is livid... She was yelling over the phone. She got disconnected one time, I thought she hung up but she called back to yell some more. I was trying to be nice to her and not get upset ut she wouldn't let me talk so when we were almost done I yelled "I am talking" and she was quiet long enough for me to finish my sentence. I probably shouldn't have yelled. She claimed that she was a very nice person and was never mean to me. Ha... Anyways she says that she wants the rest of her money or she will be reporting me to the BBB. I finally had to tell her that I could not talk to her anymore and said Bye a nd hung up. She wanted me to say that I would give a refund over the phone and I couldn't because I don't know what is the best thing to do. This really stinks. I see the side that says let her have it and she will tell everyone else they can walk all over you and then I just want to give it to her and be done. I haven't had to deal with anything like this before and this doesn't seem worth it. One can ruin a crowd.

lastingmoments Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lastingmoments Posted 18 Jun 2005 , 6:45am
post #11 of 43

Dont I think the fact that you caved a little by giving her a partial discount you showed her that if she pushes hard enough then she could get her way........

shes seen your work.....she knew what shew was getting......... i aggree i love your cakes....

dont let her get you down ....

bigcatz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bigcatz Posted 18 Jun 2005 , 9:07am
post #12 of 43

Sounds to me like this woman is just plain CRAZY.. I hope you saved her emails. It sounds like harrassment and intimidation to me. If she was going to report you, she would have already done it. I agree with lastingmoments...she thinks you will cave and give her back all the money. You did the work the way SHE specified, and you even offered a discount. You don't owe her anything else. Be strong, there is always going to be people like that out there, take it as a learning experience and continue on. I think your cakes are wonderful. Don't let other people, especially ones like that stop you from doing what you love.

charlieinMO Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
charlieinMO Posted 18 Jun 2005 , 1:41pm
post #13 of 43

I am so sorry this had to happen to you! I really can't say "This is what I would do" because I think I would be doing just what you are and second guessing myself but I HOPE I would do what the others have suggested. Leave it at the 25% and call it done. Save those emails and if she calls you back politely tell her this is not a good time FOR YOU to talk and say good buy. If she does report you I am pretty sure all you have to do is call them and give your side and I think that they give both sides if anyone were to ever call them for information. Hope she just decides to drop it!!

Good luck

Charlotte

TheCakeShak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakeShak Posted 18 Jun 2005 , 5:03pm
post #14 of 43

icon_wink.gif Hey there........also,,,save your pictures of the cake!! You made the cake just like she wanted!! And if everyone else raved about it, then don't worry..I agree with everyone else...if she threatened to call the BBB, then you would have gotten a visit or call by now.....She prob figures that if she throws those terms out to you,,,that you'll back down quickly..She's prob walked all over people before and that was how she got her way..
My opinion,,,don't give her back the FULL $$$..And I wouldn't even do another cake for her at the 25% off either...I would just tell her that you cannot do any cakes for her because she became a difficult person. Let her eat crow for now.....
She just wanted something that you took alot of time and effort into for FREE!! But yet they say how deliscious the cake was!!! Go figure!!

This must be the month that the moon is shinning on all those snot rags!!

Good Luck.....and hold your ground!!!

crash...........

littlebubbieschocolates Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlebubbieschocolates Posted 21 Jun 2005 , 2:24pm
post #15 of 43

if she keeps bothering u just call the cops or even the ph company. she doesnt have the right to do this. blk her calls and emails. dont put up with this.

estherhead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
estherhead Posted 23 Jun 2005 , 2:42am
post #16 of 43

No more talking to her. People lie. They lie and yell and lie some more. I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but that is reality. So don't talk to her any more and DON'T refund her money. People who trust her judgment: you don't want as customers.

VickiC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VickiC Posted 25 Jun 2005 , 12:20am
post #17 of 43

You already are out the time and money you spent for the first cake that the date was wrong. I am convinced that she changed the date and didn't tell you. That put her in the wrong from the beginning. Now she has the nerve to try and get a free cake out of it. Refund the 25% because it will make you feel better, not because she is trying to intimidate you.

SweetCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetCreations Posted 26 Jun 2005 , 2:27pm
post #18 of 43

I am so sorry she is being so horrible. but. you need to do this.. BLOCK her Phone Number and her Email. Do not talk to her. if she gets through from another phone tell her your in the middle of pulling cakes out of the oven.dont give her a chance to talk. & dont be so worried about the bbb,, I believe that they would have sent you a form to fill out if you did get a complaint to share your side of the story.but most of all.. KEEP YOUR HEAD UP! and Put this behind you! keep smiling =0)

bonnscakesAZ Posted 26 Jun 2005 , 3:32pm
post #19 of 43

Thank you so much everyone for your support! You have no idea how much that means to me! Your all such nice people and I am grateful to have found you. icon_smile.gif
She hasn't called back or emailed and I have not heard anything from the BBB. I will be putting something on my phone to block those blocked calls. If she wants to call again she will have to unblock her number and I will see it. If she does call again I would tell her I can not speak on the phone and that she can email me. At least then I have in writing what she is saying.

Again thank you so much!!!

MindiBrad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MindiBrad Posted 26 Jun 2005 , 8:30pm
post #20 of 43

I agree with everyone....forget about this crackpot and move on.

My only concern is this....are you a "legal baker"? If you aren't, this woman could potentially make problems for you by "blowing the whistle" on you.

As for the BBB....who cares if she reports you? If she does, the BBB will send you a letter and a form to fill out your side of the story. As long as you answer the complaint, they consider the matter "closed".

FWIW - a bad BBB rating only matters if people actually call the BBB to check on you before placing an order. As cake decorating is really a "word of mouth" business, even if you DO have a negative BBB rating, the chances are incredibly slim that any potential customers will find out (especially birthday and smaller cakes...a bride MIGHT call, but only if you are a complete stranger and she has never seen your work)

To head off any potential problems in the future, you might want to start asking your customers if you can give their name as a reference in case anyone ever wants one. That way, if this loon DOES report you and by some chance a potential customer DOES check, you can say "Oh - that lady was just a complete whackadoo....here are 10 other names & numbers of people that will tell you what a great job I do!"

m0use Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m0use Posted 26 Jun 2005 , 8:35pm
post #21 of 43

And if that lady keeps on harraassing despite your requests to stop...you can always turn it around on her and state that if you get one more harassing email or phone call from her you will turn her in to the police and then go right to the police on the very next harassing event...not to be mean but that is the truth

bonnscakesAZ Posted 27 Jun 2005 , 6:05am
post #22 of 43

Hi! Yes I am legal. No problems there! I think maybe I wasn't sure what the BB was also or how it worked so it is helpful to know about it. Thanks! I think too it personal for me. I am not used to people not liking me. I am one of those everyone has to like me people. I think I am definatly over that now! icon_smile.gif I agree about teh harrassing. Hopefully this is a done situation.

Thanks! (hugs)

KayDay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayDay Posted 27 Jun 2005 , 12:02pm
post #23 of 43

I agree with the majority here... the woman is insane! You more than almost any of us here should be VERY confident about your work! I went to your web site and your work is AWESOME! icon_biggrin.gif And after repeat business ...from this woman...she should have seen that too.

Calejo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Calejo Posted 27 Jun 2005 , 3:42pm
post #24 of 43

I think she didn't understand what she was asking for the first time (which was her first mistake), so when you tried to deliver what she asked for... she got upset. She obviously didn't think you did bad work or she wouldn't have been shopping around your site in the first place for the second time. I think 25% off is VERY generous of you, but she was probably expecting it to be a whole lot lower than that and it sounds like she thought you were trying to pull one over on her. Ok. Now, I'm pointing all of that out to point out the fact that your abilities have nothing to do with her complaint... the bottom line is: she's cheap and she wants more than her money's worth. (IMO)

cakelady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady Posted 27 Jun 2005 , 9:25pm
post #25 of 43

You're right....it only takes one........I know you're upset but let this one go.......she won't call again......and that's okay.......we simply can't please everyone.......it sounds like she needs something to do........she has done nothing but upset you and herself...over flour, water and eggs.......basically. I upset a lady a couple of weeks ago......I ended up in tears.....then I thought......this is crazy. However, I know how you feel.

You do wonderful work and you should be very proud. Chin up!

Smile........

Do you think this woman "enjoys" creating a scene? Ummmmmmm, I wonder who she's giving "heck" to today......... thumbs_up.gif

nanascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nanascakes Posted 29 Jun 2005 , 5:59pm
post #26 of 43

I know its has been a while now and you may not want to think about this anymore, but I have been thinking about it since I read this a couple days ago. I think when something like this happens it comes down to a couple of basic questions. One, did she accept delivery after she looked at the it? Even expressing some concern initially, she accepted your responses to her comments and thus she accepted the cake as presented. Two, I assume since she accepted it , she served it to her guests? Therefore the quality of the cake itself must have been fine with her. It sounds to me like she had some reservations about the decorations initially, but accepted your explanations. Your 25% discount was a more than generous response to her initial reaction, which BTW, was the only genuine one. If she had truely not been happy, she should have refused delivery or made her position known BEFORE she served/consumed the cake. This is the same principal we all use when we purchase something. If we aren't happy with a product, we refuse delivery or return it , unused, and discuss a refund/credit at that time. I really think that overall she was satisfied initially, but got herself worked up as time went on. Her complaints changed and escalated the more she talked about it. Perhaps in the future if a customer expresses any concern, it would be a good idea to first address the complaint, then ask if she still wants to accept delivery. If she says yes, then I would respond with a comment to the effect that she is giving approval by accepting delivery. I suppose you could always make up a simple receipt of delivery statement for them to sign that says such. Anyway, this is long but I had this on my mind and had to"unload"it icon_smile.gif. I surely hope this never happens to you again! Sounds like you have already made a good decision to cross her off your client list!

KayDay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayDay Posted 29 Jun 2005 , 6:48pm
post #27 of 43

Thats a good idea nanascakes....I would like a clear understanding with clients ...if you aren't happy...don't take my product then later ( after eating it) come back and tell me it wsnt good enough!

bonnscakesAZ Posted 29 Jun 2005 , 9:28pm
post #28 of 43

Thank you all .. I think that you are all right about this lady! Lets hope she doesn't order cakes anymore.. unless it is the grocery store. icon_smile.gif

Nanascakes that is a really good idea. I may have to think about that. I mean I only had this happen once but it is a good thing still I have so much stuff in my wedding cake contract that people are like wow.. but you know it is better to be prepared..icon_smile.gif I even have someone sign off when I deliver a wedding cake. so maybe this is the same kind of situation. It really kind of stinks that we have to be worried about these wierdo's.
Thanks agains everyone!

I'll try to post some pictures soon!

Serena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Serena Posted 6 Jul 2005 , 2:50am
post #29 of 43

I checked out your cakes, can't imagine what gets into some people! Your cakes are really really nice! If you get a chance, I'd love to know your recipe for a modified royal icing. And your cakeboards are gorgeous, another great idea I'll be using. Thanks!

RisqueBusiness Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RisqueBusiness Posted 20 Aug 2006 , 5:01pm
post #30 of 43

[quote="bonnscakesAZ"] If she does call again I would tell her I can not speak on the phone and that she can email me. At least then I have in writing what she is saying.

quote]

My advise is to NOT do business over electronic mediums...Get the customer face to face so there is NO misunderstanding.

I just got a call from someone ( who after I spoke with informs me that she would've paid up to 100 for her cake..lol..now she tells me...) She just wanted a small cake to feed 20 people, but order a cake more for the effect.

( you guessed it..one of my "naughty ones )

I know the wonder pan will make too much cake, and the ball pan will make too little cake. I have been wracking my brain...and decided that I have 2 small rounds in the freezer that I will place under the ball pans to make the "effect" she wants...and I know there will be enough cake to feed 20+ people.

She's only paying 35.00 bucks...but I know that I will make her happy, she will return...and that she KNOWS..from my web site that the cake is actually a 50.00 cake!

So, let's hope I did a good thing! These crazy customers are pretty scary and daunting!

But, my policy has always been to refund ALL of the money when I get complaints. I refund the money and refuse any and all orders from the person, I always seem to be "busy" on the dates they need cake.

Yes, they have the gall to come back...There is nothing 'wrong' with the cake, they are very moist and delicious and I know I do a good job. People just seem to like to get away with things!

If I truly mess up....then I return the money and offer to do the next one free...but I have my book that they can chose from...nothing crazy elaborate. This also makes everyone happy.

I decorate cakes because I love it and have a passion for it. I will NOT allow ANYONE to spoil my fun...lol

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%