Dont Know What I Was Thinking..love Chocolate Transfers Now!

Decorating By springlakecake Updated 27 Nov 2009 , 4:16am by mrsmudrash

CarolinaBelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolinaBelle Posted 10 Aug 2006 , 6:51am
post #31 of 242

They look perfect! Great job.

atkin600 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
atkin600 Posted 10 Aug 2006 , 7:04am
post #32 of 242

Thanks for posting the tutorial!

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 10 Aug 2006 , 10:16am
post #33 of 242

Everyone keeps asking about the report cover...so here is a picture of the one I got. You could get them at walmart, office supply etc.
LL

fatgirlck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fatgirlck Posted 10 Aug 2006 , 1:47pm
post #34 of 242

Please tell me where to buy the merkens wafers.

candyladyhelen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candyladyhelen Posted 10 Aug 2006 , 1:55pm
post #35 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatgirlck

Please tell me where to buy the merkens wafers.

Cake & Candy supply stores all carry Merckens. But if you have an AC Moore craft store near you, you can get Make N Mold candy wafers. In my opinion, they taste & work the same as Merckens. Merckens can be bought online also.

kayscake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kayscake Posted 10 Aug 2006 , 2:41pm
post #36 of 242

WOW, you did a really great job! I've been doing ct for the last 15 or so years and I do them on almost all my cakes. At first I tried the colored wafers, but now all I use is almond bark, it's consistency works better for me,it's very affordable and I can get it at any grocery store. for dark colors, black red, dark blue I use candy colors, but for everything else I use icing colors, gel or paste, and to stop it from seizing up I use paramont crystals. You can get them at the local cake supply store or I order them from country kitchen sweet art www.countrykitchensa.com/. With icing colors there is such a endless range of colors, compared to wafers or candy colors. I also get plastic bottles with a coupler so you can change the size of the tip you need, I have tons of them I just store the unused candy in them for the next time I need that color. www.countrykitchensa.com/catalog/product.aspx?T=2&productId=619471

springlakecake Posted 10 Aug 2006 , 8:44pm
post #37 of 242
Quote:
Quote:

kayscake
WOW, you did a really great job! I've been doing ct for the last 15 or so years and I do them on almost all my cakes. At first I tried the colored wafers, but now all I use is almond bark, it's consistency works better for me,it's very affordable and I can get it at any grocery store. for dark colors, black red, dark blue I use candy colors, but for everything else I use icing colors, gel or paste, and to stop it from seizing up I use paramont crystals. You can get them at the local cake supply store or I order them from country kitchen sweet art www.countrykitchensa.com/. With icing colors there is such a endless range of colors, compared to wafers or candy colors. I also get plastic bottles with a coupler so you can change the size of the tip you need, I have tons of them I just store the unused candy in them for the next time I need that color. www.countrykitchensa.com/catalog/product.aspx?T=2&productId=619471

Thanks for the additional info. I am finally getting the hang of these and they are pretty cool! I have made a few more for my cake...I cant wait to start putting it together.

ps3884 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ps3884 Posted 10 Aug 2006 , 9:09pm
post #38 of 242

Your Winnie the Pooh CT looks amazing! I am inspired to try this technique. I can't wait to see the finished cake. Great job!!

springlakecake Posted 13 Aug 2006 , 6:45pm
post #39 of 242

Here is my finished cake! I was so proud of it. I know it is silly but I couldnt wait to get up in the morning and look at it! I have made so much progress in my decorating since I started in February thanks to CC!
LL

emnjakesmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emnjakesmom Posted 13 Aug 2006 , 7:42pm
post #40 of 242

Merissa- that turned out fabulous! Congratulations!! I'll be pming you for advice when I finally attempt CTs!

ps3884 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ps3884 Posted 14 Aug 2006 , 12:08am
post #41 of 242

That looks amazing!! I love the design. Great job!!! I definitely have to save this picture to my favorites. thumbs_up.gif

kayscake Posted 14 Aug 2006 , 1:55am
post #42 of 242

OMG Fabulous I've been doing CT's forever and I am insired, great job! You, are Pro material, keep up the good work!

kjgjam22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjgjam22 Posted 14 Aug 2006 , 2:25am
post #43 of 242

those are so cool. i am assuming its like the frozen buttercream transfer but using the chocolate or the candy melts? i must try that.

springlakecake Posted 14 Aug 2006 , 10:25am
post #44 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjgjam22

those are so cool. i am assuming its like the frozen buttercream transfer but using the chocolate or the candy melts? i must try that.

Yes it is similar to a FBCT. If you look through this thread there are some links to some tutorials I think.

Cake_Geek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Geek Posted 14 Aug 2006 , 11:55am
post #45 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by merissa

I heated the chocolate in small baby food jars. That way I can just keep the left overs in there and it was less messy.

Also I did the transfers on a report cover. That way they turned out shiny instead of matte finish. It was nice because I could put the pic inside the folder and I could see it really well. I also popped it in the freezer for a few minutes before removing the chocolate. The first one I left in just a little too long so it was a little bent, but not bad.

These are 2 great ideas. I hate having to scrape the choc out of my glass bowls and waiting for it to cool to put back in the bag with the other wafers. Now I have to solicit friends for baby food jars.

And the use of a report cover!! Awesome idea! I have tried using wax paper taped down to my cookie sheet but it always curled some on me in the freezer so I never got a flat transfer. Thanks for sharing!!!

springlakecake Posted 14 Aug 2006 , 12:07pm
post #46 of 242

I am glad you found that helpful, but i have to say they arent my original ideas, I learned it all here!

CakesByEllen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByEllen Posted 14 Aug 2006 , 5:27pm
post #47 of 242

here's what I don't understand.

kayscake, when you use the little bottles, how do you keep the chocolate in liquid form? I tried using those bottles and the chocolate would always harden up on me and not work right.

Merissa - when you use the heating pad, do you fold it over so that the bags are gettting heat from the top and bottom? How hot do you use the heating pad at?

TIA for all the help!

CakesByEllen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByEllen Posted 14 Aug 2006 , 5:28pm
post #48 of 242

Oh, one more question. Can you cut through the chocolate transfer, or do you tell you clients to remove it before cutting the cake?

springlakecake Posted 14 Aug 2006 , 7:08pm
post #49 of 242

yeah I folded it over, loosly. I also warmed up leftover chocolate (still in the parchment bags) on it on high, but I think medium was probably enough. If it feels "hot" in your hands wait until it just feels warm. At least that was best in my opinion. I am not sure about cutting through it, seems like it would be easier to remove it, but I am not sure since I havent tried it. I made mine pretty thick in back (after learning the hard way that they are pretty fragile otherwise) so I think it would be a little difficult to cut through a large piece. But I am not sure.

kayscake Posted 15 Aug 2006 , 2:22am
post #50 of 242

I only heat one or two at a time,(microwave) but if I need several colors that I'm switching back and forth with I either use the heating pad or a shallow electric frying pan with sponges that I cut to hold the bottles and warm water, you have to be careful though not to get the water in the chocolate. And for cutting them, even thick ones cut pretty easy, alot of the time, exspecially if its for a shild they want to take of their picture to eat for themselves. I often make many smaller peices of chocolate or drizzle it on sides and do the writing so that everyone can have some.

kayscake Posted 15 Aug 2006 , 2:29am
post #51 of 242

Sorry!! spelling and typing off today. I also wanted to mention, after I have made my CT and everything is filled in I coat the entire back side with another solid layer of chocolate, not quit going to the edges, this makes handling and placing your CT easier. Large CT's can crack when you move your cake.

bush1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bush1 Posted 15 Aug 2006 , 3:27am
post #52 of 242

O.K. everyone, call me crazy but when you all say print the clip art backwards, what exactly do you mean. It's after 10:00 so my brain is not functioning properly but I can't seem to get this detail figured out in my head. HELP!!!!!

Twins5485 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Twins5485 Posted 15 Aug 2006 , 3:32am
post #53 of 242

Under your printer options pick effects and choose mirror image when you go to print it.. It will then print in reverse so when you do your image it will be the right way when you look at it instead of backwards... Hope this helps !!

Cass

Aztec9206 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Aztec9206 Posted 15 Aug 2006 , 3:38am
post #54 of 242

Pooh is soooo cute!! Great job!!

You go girl!! Keep on baking!!!

Cindy

bush1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bush1 Posted 15 Aug 2006 , 3:43am
post #55 of 242

Thanks a lot!!!

ckkerber Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ckkerber Posted 15 Aug 2006 , 3:54am
post #56 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayscake

I only heat one or two at a time,(microwave) but if I need several colors that I'm switching back and forth with I either use the heating pad or a shallow electric frying pan with sponges that I cut to hold the bottles and warm water, you have to be careful though not to get the water in the chocolate. And for cutting them, even thick ones cut pretty easy, alot of the time, exspecially if its for a shild they want to take of their picture to eat for themselves. I often make many smaller peices of chocolate or drizzle it on sides and do the writing so that everyone can have some.

I use the shallow electric fry pan, too, and it works great! I melt the chocolate in the microwave first and then color it. Once it's colored, I pour it into my parchment triangles (I usually cut these in half or in quarters since you don't need to use the whole large bag for chocolate transfers usually). Speaking of baby food jars, I find that the tall baby bottles are perfect for holding a parchment triangle as you are filling it and baby spoons are a great size for mixing chocolate. Anyway, I lay a kitchen towel, folded in half on my skillet so the parchment bags aren't laying directly on the heat and I turn it on low. This keeps everything "workable" for hours. When I'm done, I turn it off and if I want to reuse the chocolate at a later time, I just put the triangles back on the towel and in a short amount of time it's back to the perfect melted consistency. I love, love, love chocolate transfers. To me, flavor is the most important part of any cake and things like color flow don't seem to be made to eat even though they're edible. Most people like chocolate.

DelightsByE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DelightsByE Posted 19 Aug 2006 , 2:33am
post #57 of 242

I just tried these for the first time tonight, in fact the ones I made are still firming up (on the counter, not in the fridge). I used waxed paper because that's what I had on hand; now that it's back to school time I will probably hit Wal Mart to find some report covers...

Anyway I am not using parchment bags, I'm using the plastic disposable ones with just the tiniest bit of the tip snipped off. My question is, when you're interchanging back and forth, I notice that the chocolate begins to harden in the narrow throat of the bag. I have no idea where my electric skillet is, or even if I have one anymore...does anyone have any other suggestions for me? I find if I put them back in the microwave, the rest of the bag where the chocolate is already still melted will begin to scorch. Will the heating pad method help this?

kayscake Posted 19 Aug 2006 , 2:51am
post #58 of 242

Oh most definitely, because you are able to lay the bag flat on the heating pad , so the chocolate in the narrowest point will get heat also. If the heating pad becomes to hot for the rest of the bag double up the towel under it and place tip end closer to the pad.

DelightsByE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DelightsByE Posted 19 Aug 2006 , 3:12am
post #59 of 242

OK I have another question. Can the transfers be attached to wires? Like to stick up above the surface of the cake? (the transfers I'm doing are less than 2 inches big each)

MantMarf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MantMarf Posted 19 Aug 2006 , 3:46am
post #60 of 242

This is such a great thread!! I don't think I ever come on this site without learning something when I'm here! Thank-you everyone for all the ideas!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%