Devil's Food - Duncan Hines Or Betty Crocker

Decorating By danette62602 Updated 8 Aug 2006 , 1:36pm by indydebi

danette62602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
danette62602 Posted 8 Aug 2006 , 1:22am
post #1 of 18

I have to make a devil's food cake for a co worker this week and i am not familiar with the flavor. I usually use cake mixes...sometimes alone...and sometimes with the cake mix extender recipe (this site). But I have no idea on this one!! I usually ise BC triple fudge for my chocolate cakes but the customer requested devils food!! What have you had the best reviews and results with?????

17 replies
Zamode Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zamode Posted 8 Aug 2006 , 1:31am
post #2 of 18

I prefer DH mixes, I just did devil's food for a cake last week. Myself, I prefer the Pillsbury dakr chocolate, it has a much better chocolate flavor than devil's food.

dodibug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dodibug Posted 8 Aug 2006 , 1:31am
post #3 of 18

I've had excellent results with Pillsbury Devil's food cake mix!

mgdqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgdqueen Posted 8 Aug 2006 , 1:38am
post #4 of 18

I prefer Pillsbury as well.

justsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justsweet Posted 8 Aug 2006 , 1:41am
post #5 of 18

Duncan Hines

cambo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cambo Posted 8 Aug 2006 , 3:09am
post #6 of 18

I also prefer Duncan Hines mixes.....and also prefer their Dark Chocolate Fudge to Devil's Food flavor; it's a much richer tasting chocolate! I just used a Betty Crocker mix for the first time Saturday and could not believe how clumpy/lumpy it was....I had to break-up the chunks w/ a spoon in my sifter! The flavor was fine, but I'll stick with Duncan Hines!

Tiffysma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tiffysma Posted 8 Aug 2006 , 3:15am
post #7 of 18

Duncan Hines is my choice also.

martinez73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
martinez73 Posted 8 Aug 2006 , 3:22am
post #8 of 18

Duncan Hines is my choice as well. I doctor it up a bit to give it a more chocolate flavor.

cakesbyjess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyjess Posted 8 Aug 2006 , 3:24am
post #9 of 18

I think that DH's Devil's Food is much tastier than BC. It bakes up very nicely even without adding anything to it.

CShields Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CShields Posted 8 Aug 2006 , 3:52am
post #10 of 18

I prefer BC Super Moist Chocolate Fudge. A number of my customer are big time chocoholics and they have all told me that any of the chocolate cakes that I have made them always turn out so rich and moist. I tried DH devils food cake mix for a few of my chocoholics and they always have told me they prefer the "other" chocolate cakes (which were BC) over the DH ones. icon_cool.gif

LittleLinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleLinda Posted 8 Aug 2006 , 11:35am
post #11 of 18

I use Pillsbury only!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 8 Aug 2006 , 11:51am
post #12 of 18

CShields, I'm with you! Betty Crocker only!! thumbs_up.gif

It may be lumpy when it comes out of the box (sifting? why take the time?), but mix the eggs, mix and water ONLY for a couple of minutes, THEN add the oil.....oil and water don't mix so you have to blend the water into the dry mix first. Beat for a long time....3-4 minutes. If you add the oil and water at the same time, you get lumps in the batter.

My chocolate cakes are BC Fudge....more chocolatey. I never use Devils' Food. People tend to use the term "Devil's Food" as a generic for "chocolate". I use the BC Choc Fudge regardless. They love it.

I've been doing this close to 25 years.....a Duncan Hines cake mix will never come into my kitchen. Ever. Yes, I've tried them and I don't like the texture.....too easy to break too difficult to work with and the taste is too "commercial". I've also tried the commercial cake mixes from Sysco and GFS......they don't pass my (and my brides') taste test.

danette62602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
danette62602 Posted 8 Aug 2006 , 12:29pm
post #13 of 18

Thank you so much....

CShields...I have had that same experiance with German chocolate and the triple chocolate fudge!! My chocolate fans say the BC is better that the DH but only on the chocolate...all other flavors they prefer DH.

I have never tried Pillsbury...no reason...just have always stuck with DH or BC....I'll have to try the Pillsbury sometime.

You guys are the BOMB!!

alicia_froedge Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alicia_froedge Posted 8 Aug 2006 , 12:54pm
post #14 of 18

I use DH and then add chocolate pudding and hershey's syrup.

cambo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cambo Posted 8 Aug 2006 , 1:06pm
post #15 of 18

Bottom line is....you may need to try several brands and do a taste test. I've done this and made dozen of cupcakes and taken them to work. I used different colored cupcake liners to tell the brands apart. In my neck of the woods Duncan Hines won hands down....it wasn't even close. But, I think this could also depend on what part of the nation you live in! If you've never sifted a cake mix (I never used to), you should try it! Talk about a whole new experience....holy cow! Also, my customer's preferred Pillsbury yellow cake mix as opposed to Duncan Hines, so Pillsbury it is for that flavor!
Good luck!

aggiecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aggiecakes Posted 8 Aug 2006 , 1:28pm
post #16 of 18

I use Pilsbury.

luv2cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2cake Posted 8 Aug 2006 , 1:36pm
post #17 of 18

I use only Pillsbury also. In fact, I use their Devil's Food cake mix everytime I have an order for a chocolate cake. People here LOVE it.

Besides it being my favorite, it's also the cheapest (just an added bonus for me) It's $0.88 at Wal-Mart.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 8 Aug 2006 , 1:36pm
post #18 of 18

Cambo....I'll give that sifting a try since you are a convert! heck I never used to freeze cakes either but I made it over that hump ok! icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%